The Nature Conservancy’s Disney Wilderness Preserve?

spectromagic04

Original Poster
Has anyone ever heard or been to this Disney Wildlife Preserve? I was searching on google Disney Worlds wildlife when I found this its located about 15 miles south of WDW! The name of the place is The Nature Conservancy’s Disney Wilderness Preserve! I am not expecting many people to know about this place because today is the first day I heard about this.

raiden

I've been there. You have to like nature and wildlife to really appreciate it. Having said that it's no different or better than one you may find local to you. It's a nice walk. You see wildlife local to Florida. Also has a nice little picnic area on one of the last lakes in Florida not touched by man. I remember it being at least a 30min ride from WDW.

Also isn't this land Disney bought in exchange to use land at WDW set aside for wildlife conservation? That's what I had heard anyway.

spectromagic04

Original Poster
I've been there. You have to like nature and wildlife to really appreciate it. Having said that it's no different or better than one you may find local to you. It's a nice walk. You see wildlife local to Florida. Also has a nice little picnic area on one of the last lakes in Florida not touched by man. I remember it being at least a 30min ride from WDW.

Also isn't this land Disney bought in exchange to use land at WDW set aside for wildlife conservation? That's what I had heard anyway.

I might have to go check this place out on my upcoming trip in a couple of weeks or on a different trip!! Also what kind of wildlife can you see there and how long is this wildlife preserve open?

raiden

http://www.nature.org/ourinitiative...sweprotect/the-disney-wilderness-preserve.xml

I think they are open on a 9-5 basis. I called when we went to make sure they were open. The website above should have the info you are looking for. Bring a lunch and have a picinic on the lake, it was nice. Bring some hiking shoes. We really enjoyed it.

We saw alot of birds, rabbits and other critters. Alot of the time you hear something in the bushes and see something making a noise. You know it's there and then it runs off.

Have fun!

kstella

The Preserve is a beautiful place. It used to be a family owned ranch but has been allowed to return to it's natural state. Definitely worth the time if you are into that kind of thing.

Nemo14

We've been there a couple of times. Nice place for a leisurely walk -we saw lots of bald eagles, snakes, deer, etc. You'll need a hat and plenty of water.

It is really not owned by Disney at all, but by The Nature Conservancy. Some of the land there was donated by Disney as a requirement by the U.S.Clean Water Act to mitigate damages from developing wetlands elsewhere. You won't see hidden Mickeys or pixie dust, just nature.

spectromagic04

Original Poster
Thank you for the comments!! I like these kind of nature preserves that have alot of birds, deer and other small critters!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom