Trip Report The "My iCloud Takes Me Back to 2016" TR's

Hello All!!

So, here I am again with another TR. This is going to be a bit different from my past ones. Let me briefly explain:

As most of you probably know E, J, & I were supposed to be in Disney in March/April. Our mom had been battling cancer for the last 3 years & was not doing well when we were to be in Disney so we cancelled our trip. I was looking back in my iCloud and was surprised at how much I remembered from past trips so I've decided to do some mini TR's as far back as my iClould takes me. I also have quite a few PP pictures from the trips(back when they actually showed up in my account-I'm sure you remember me complaining about them not showing up recently). These will not be as detailed as my recent ones since no notes were taken. There are 8 trips over a span of 2 years. I'm looking forward to doing these as a distraction from the recent sad times in my life plus my mom was on a few of these trips so it will be nice remembering happy times with her. It's also neat looking back on things that aren't in the world anymore.

Primarily based on my pictures I was able to go back & piece together the who, what, when & where's for the most part. Lot's of different things happened during these trips:1st trips for some of my family, a runDisney race, room debacles, a 1st haircut, & leaving propertyo_O for the first time just to name a few. I hope everyone enjoys & welcome aboard!!

Side note: Not sure if you remember(or care for that matter:hilarious:) but I had mentioned in my last TR that there was a specific purpose for the March/April trip. Even though we didn't go I figured I would share it with you. We were planning on a spring trip but we picked our dates based on who was performing at the Epcot Flower & Garden Concert. We were to going to see none other than Rick Springfield!! Now, I am an 80's child but was never a fan of his music. I did kind of like him on General Hospital though. Anyhow, believe it or not R & one of my BIL's really like his music😲 I know, it's not too often you hear of many guys who know the words to "Jessie's Girl". Over the years I have been forced to attend a few of his shows & I must say I developed a liking for his music. Basically, the purpose of scheduling the trip when we did was to rub it in R & my BIL's face!! So there you have it!!

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 3RD 2016

IMG_1395.JPG

I recall that we all enjoyed our food. My mom was quite pleased. She had celiac disease so a few things had to be modified for her. She always said that she was so impressed with the way Disney handled food allergies.
IMG_1400.JPG

IMG_1401.JPG

IMG_1404.JPG

IMG_1405.JPG

IMG_1407.JPG

IMG_1408.JPG

Looks like A was getting involved in the coconut race.
IMG_1411.JPG

Family photo!!
IMG_1414.JPG

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 3RD 2016

The plan was to head back to MK. I told my family I would catch up with them in a bit. I had an errand to run first!! I hopped on a bus & headed to WWoS to pick up my race packet. My family was quite surprised--I hadn't told them prior to this that I was signed up for it.
IMG_1416.JPG

It was early evening & it really wasn't crowded. I didn't spend too much time there though. I was a bit nervous about the whole thing.
IMG_1417.JPG

So here's the story of how this transpired & why I was so nervous about it:
In Trip #1 I had commented on how my SIL asked me when I was going back & I was bummed that I didn't have any plans. I thought about it when I got home & had read about Wine & Dine weekend in November. I had really been wanting to get in shape(unfortunately, I'm still wanting to:arghh:) so I thought signing up would be a great motivator for me. I wanted to do the 10K & registration was in March. All I could get was a slot for the 10K & the half both. I signed up & figured I better start working hard at this b/c now I'm doing a half that I hadn't planned on.

For numerous years my family quite often went to Disney in early November so I wasn't surprised when everyone started saying that they were going then. I kept it a secret that I was running b/c I didn't want to feel like a failure if I didn't train enough to be able to do it.

Everything was going good then mid-August came along--I got bit by a spider behind my knee on my right leg. The infection spread like crazy & I ended up with a nasty case of cellulitis as a result of it. I spent 4 days in the hospital b/c they couldn't find an antibiotic that would treat it. Every time the doctors checked the infection had spread from where they made their markings on my leg when I was admitted. At one point it covered about 1/3 of my leg & the doctors said they were probably going to have to do a skin graft b/c the tissue was so badly damaged since they couldn't figure out what to treat me with. They consulted an infectious disease doctor & she decided what I should be treated with. Fortunately, it started working immediately so I was able to be discharged the next day & didn't end up needing the skin graft.

The infection was fully cleared up a few weeks later but my walking still wasn't great & I surely couldn't run at that point. It was early October before I could start exercising again. I knew then that there was no way I could run the half but I still wanted to do the 10K. But frankly, I was scared that I couldn't even handle that.

After picking up my things I took the bus back to the Poly then hopped on the monorail to MK.
IMG_1418.JPG

We rode IASW.
IMG_1419.JPG

Pirates.
IMG_1422.JPG

Then headed to the Tiki Room.
IMG_1423.JPG

IMG_1424.JPG

We stayed for Wishes(oh, how I miss thee.....)then headed back to POR.
IMG_1426.JPG

IMG_1427.JPG

IMG_1428.JPG

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
My mom passed away two years ago and I found all the “firsts without” difficult - the second year it was easier. But I think we all go through a moment at one time or another when we want to share something with our mom only to remember we can’t and a moment of sadness passes by.
I'm sure it will get easier as time goes on. You don't know how many times I've picked up the phone to call her only to realize that I can't!!
Glad J wised up and finally realized you’re a cool aunt 😀
Why, thank you very much!!:)

sheriffwoody

I know I need to be a big girl & grow up but it's only been 3 weeks since she passed so I guess it's still very fresh for me.
GIRL. Don't even think that way. You need waaaaay longer than 3 weeks to grieve. Even after several years, you will still grieve, and that's 100% ok. You don't need my permission, but I'm telling you anyway that you should never feed bad about feeling bad...that barely makes sense, but hopefully you get what I mean 🤣 I haven't struggled too much with Father's Day since my dad passed, but his birthday every year since has been so rough. I don't know why that particular day is just always so hard.

TheMouseFan

Awwww, thank you very much. That is so sweet of you. I had many friends & family sending me texts throughout the day telling me what a great woman my mom was & how they were thinking of me & my family. I was so grateful & touched by them as I am with your's. It really means a lot to know that people care.😘 Ok, I'm going to try to stop crying now......

Sorry your morning was rough but I'm glad things settled & I hope you enjoyed your special day!! I don't know if I'm explaining this correctly but I just felt a real emptiness about myself yesterday. I purposely stayed away from Facebook & Instagram b/c I didn't want to see everybody's Mother's Day posts. I didn't want to be sadder than I already was plus to be honest(& I don't want to sound like a selfish brat in the least) I felt kind of envious of those who still have their mom. I know I need to be a big girl & grow up but it's only been 3 weeks since she passed so I guess it's still very fresh for me.

Since I am the only one of my sisters without kids I said I was going to have dinner for them. Olive Garden catering it was!! I don't cook in the least so this was much more edible than anything I could make!! It was good & there was so much that everyone's coming back for dinner today to finish the leftovers!! We did smile & laugh at a lot of memories.
No need to stop crying! I still catch Brian every now and then sitting by himself and crying. He's had a little more time than you, but still didn't make yesterday any easier. Her birthday is in June, so I know that will be another hard day for him. I totally understand your staying away from social media yesterday, and you definitely are not a selfish brat for being envious! Please don't be so hard on yourself! Olive Garden sounds good!!

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
GIRL. Don't even think that way. You need waaaaay longer than 3 weeks to grieve. Even after several years, you will still grieve, and that's 100% ok. You don't need my permission, but I'm telling you anyway that you should never feed bad about feeling bad...that barely makes sense, but hopefully you get what I mean 🤣 I haven't struggled too much with Father's Day since my dad passed, but his birthday every year since has been so rough. I don't know why that particular day is just always so hard.
Don't ever think that you need to grow up or get over it. Grief has a way of sneaking up on you for years and there's nothing wrong with that, you're only human. 🌼
No need to stop crying! I still catch Brian every now and then sitting by himself and crying. He's had a little more time than you, but still didn't make yesterday any easier. Her birthday is in June, so I know that will be another hard day for him. I totally understand your staying away from social media yesterday, and you definitely are not a selfish brat for being envious! Please don't be so hard on yourself! Olive Garden sounds good!!

Thank you all for your support. I really appreciate it & it means a lot to hear these words of encouragement. I'm usually a pretty upbeat & happy person so it's weird for me to feel the way I do. It's just not me. One day at a time I guess & expect that some will be better than others....it sounds like it will be this way for quite some time. Thank you all!! 😘

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 4TH 2016

I started the day out with a walk around Riverside.
IMG_1429.JPG

Our destination today was HS!! My sisters always seemed to lead the way while I was further back with my mom.
IMG_1431.JPG

IMG_1432.JPG

IMG_1433.JPG

IMG_1434.JPG

Looks like A was in a hurry to get to our first ride. No time for the army man!!
IMG_1436.JPG

IMG_1437.JPG

IMG_1438.JPG

IMG_1094.JPG

I guess my mom & A had something against the glasses??

The Great Movie Ride was next.
IMG_1439.JPG

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster

Then we headed to one of my least favorite rides. I always come off of it smiling but the anticipation leading up to it is what gets to me. My mom, on the other hand, absolutely loved this ride. I think this was her favorite.
IMG_1442.JPG

IMG_1443.JPG

I didn't want to be the only one in our group without my hands up so I did it--halfway. Better than nothing-I'm usually holding on for dear life!! You can see that everyone else was all smiles though.
wdw2016309592101411_7849841990.jpg

We went to BatB next.
IMG_1444.JPG

I remember J really enjoyed the show!!
IMG_1445.JPG

I still can't get over that hair!!

IMG_1447.JPG

IMG_1450.JPG

A few of us went on Star Tours next. E doesn't like this ride so we don't get FP's for it. If I remember correctly we did this trip b/c her husband really likes it. It had been awhile since I had been on it so I was excited.
IMG_1453.JPG

IMG_1454.JPG

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster

We had 2 reservations for Mama Melrose. I can't remember why but we did & the times were very close together so we went there a little early to see if they would be able to seat us all together.

This is what we encountered.....
IMG_1457.JPG

By the time we made it to the front we found out that there was no chance of us being seated together b/c we weren't going to be seated at all. They were closed for the day!! I'm sure it obviously was something that was not planned but you think they would have sent a text or email to notify people. It was unbelievable!! They never said what the issue was or why they didn't bother letting anyone know. Their solution was that they would make reservations for us anywhere else we would like. Gee thanks, we could do the same thing. They gave us(& what was probably half the park)reservations for The Hollywood Brown Derby. We were on the dining plan & that restaurant is two credits. They assured us we would only be charged one b/c of the situation. You know where this is going, right?

We had a bit of time before our reservation time so we paid The Muppets a visit.
IMG_1460.JPG

J discovered his favorite thing in HS--the steps!! He went up & down them for what felt like forever. His dad said, "You pay all this money to take your kid to Disney World & what does he enjoys more than anything--the steps." :hilarious:
IMG_1461.JPG

IMG_1462.JPG

It was time for dinner.
IMG_1464.JPG

IMG_1466.JPG

We had to wait quite a bit past our reservation time--wonder why??
IMG_1467.JPG

J was upset about something.
IMG_1468.JPG

I have absolutely zero photos from dinner. It literally was hands down the worst dining experience I have ever had at WDW or anywhere else for that matter. It took forever to get seated & our waiter was pretty much MIA the whole time. We seriously felt lucky when we finally got our drinks. Our food took forever to come out & you guessed it-they charged us each 2 dining credits. It was a nightmare to straighten that out but my sister, C really put her foot down with them & ended up with extra FP's as a result of the mess. I'm sure at that point they were overbooked b/c of the situation at Mama Melrose's but they shouldn't have done it then. Frankly, Disney took a bad situation and made it worse. I haven't been back to HBD since & I don't really have a desire. I guess I just have a bad taste in my mouth from that lousy experience.

Everyone was in a pretty bad mood after the meal. We headed to the Frozen show & headed out after that.
IMG_1474.JPG

B & A did take one more ride on the ToT first.
wdw2016309592657148_7850564233.jpg

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
so... I think you mentioned this before... or maybe you didn't... just wondering why A doesn't come with you guys on your trips anymore?
A is in school so she can't go as much now. Also, A's mom(C) is a teacher so they take a lot of their trips over long weekends & holiday breaks when school isn't in session.

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 5TH 2016

I set my alarm for 3:15 and quickly got ready so I didn't wake anyone. In no time at all I arrived. The atmosphere was great-lots of people & fun music playing. There was still quite a bit of time before the race would start & I was in corral C so that gave me even more time. I wanted to meet Lumiere but his line was extremely long so I just snapped a picture of him instead.
IMG_1484.JPG

Goofy & Donald's line was much shorter so I got in theirs.
IMG_1501.JPG

I started getting hungry & noticed they were selling drinks & bagels. Fortunately, you could use your magic band b/c I didn't have any money with me. I felt like there was a ton of time spent waiting around. Maybe it just seemed bad to me though since I was by myself.

Fireworks went off with each corral.
IMG_1510.JPG

For the most part the first half of it was pretty boring. That part was all on the roads but at the same time it is kind of cool to run on the highways in Disney World.
IMG_1518.JPG

IMG_1519.JPG

This was the part I was most excited about. Running through Epcot!!
IMG_1520.JPG

IMG_1522.JPG

It did get a bit congested in a few areas.
IMG_1524.JPG

IMG_1526.JPG

IMG_1527.JPG

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 5TH 2016

Heading towards the finish line.
IMG_1542.JPG

I actually have quite a few PP pics from this but they're all pretty rough. Here's one though. This ones not as bad since I'm more in the background of it!!
wdw2016310593000215_392772406687.jpg

IMG_1545.JPG

I was so happy that I actually finished it without being swept!! Overall it was fun & I'm glad I did it. I was disappointed that I wasn't going to be able to do the half but happy that I did get to do the 10K.
IMG_1546.JPG

I headed back to POR to shower then headed to MK just in time for J's first haircut!!

He shed quite a few tears. I guess he was scared of what was going on. His dad had to hold him throughout the entire haircut.
IMG_1549.JPG

Goodbye hair!!
IMG_1550.JPG

Dad wearing his kid's ears!!
IMG_1553.JPG

The finished product!!
IMG_1555.JPG

He seriously looked like a totally different kid!!!
IMG_1556.JPG

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
That's a cool Sebastian! I'm loving this blast from the past...I can't believe J's hair was soooo long!
Yes--he was!! I couldn't help but stop for a picture. Thanks & I'm glad you're enjoying it!! It was ridiculously long--when she started having to use a bobby pin she should have thrown in the towel but she didn't!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom