The Muppets Present… Great Moments in American History'

Bender123

Sad...Its one of the few very well implemented IP additions.

Muppets can fit anywhere, as they really don't have a "Universe" so much as a group of characters that can work anywhere. Heck...their works range from childrens TV to variety shows to being pirates...

The show was a great little diversion that was a good "surprise" rest from the running.

jumpinjamie

Matt Vogel doesn't just voice Kermit. The voice is a really small part, which is why they don't just hire a voice actor from YouTube. The manipulation of the puppet is the part that takes a lot of talent. His voice is jarring after being used to hearing Steve Whitmire's version but he is actually closer to Jim Henson's voice.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Off topic, but one of my weird WDW fantasies was to always to replace the movie/show (which I quite like) with an actual old school Muppet Show. For guests, the could use some of the folks who perform in Hoop de Doo, Nemo, Lion King, little EPCOT shows, SW and Disney characters, Frozen sing a long folk etc. Maybe have 6 or 8 different shows/scripts. They could tweak them depending on audience response. You've already got Statler and Waldorf sitting up there in their box. Heck, I'd be all in just for when they throw Fozzie a life preserver because he's bombing so badly. I know this would involve hiring more people in entertainment and would be hard to organize so it would never happen. But, a live old school Muppet variety show that was different from one showing to the next would be very enjoyable to me.

FigmentJedi

Matt Vogel doesn't just voice Kermit. The voice is a really small part, which is why they don't just hire a voice actor from YouTube. The manipulation of the puppet is the part that takes a lot of talent. His voice is jarring after being used to hearing Steve Whitmire's version but he is actually closer to Jim Henson's voice.
Vogel's Kermit just sounds like he has a cold. Same problem as his Big Bird. The Jerry Nelson characters he took over are pretty great for the most part though.

Tom P.

The voice may be a small part in the scope of what the performer has to have in order to do the character effectively. But the voice is still an extremely important part, and the most identifiable part of the performance. It is not something that can just be an afterthought. And I agree with others that his voice for Kermit is just "off". Both in comparison to Steve Whitmire and Jim Henson.

Tom P.

That has been canceled too. Which further shows you how Disney feels about the Muppets.
Not exactly. There were two Muppet shows in development for Disney+. The one that was recently announced at D23 is still a go. The other one had been in development for some time and the producers decided to abandon it due to a change in leadership at Muppet Studios. It was not Disney's decision.

The Great Gonzo

I hope that the Muppets section stays at Hollywood and gets another attraction (ala The Great Muppet Movie Ride). They've never gotten the fully themed section we all hoped for. And they've been totally underutilized by Disney.

They can just add Monsters Inc some place else. Why get rid of something so amazing? Save The Great Gonzo.

Last edited:

wdwgreek

Original Poster
Muppets are an underutilized IP. The humor which is largely vaudeville and early amercian comedy inspired is based on word play, puns, sight gags, and banter. This type of comedy is not super popular right now and unfortunately rather then continue to produce high quality entertainment Disney is floundering trying to make muppets into somthing it isnt. They tried doing gritty with the muppets ABC show it flopped the best episodes were those that embraced the zany showmanship style. Great moments strikes the perfect balance and is extremely entertaining. Such a shame.

TrainsOfDisney

The humor which is largely vaudeville and early amercian comedy inspired is based on word play, puns, sight gags, and banter. This type of comedy is not super popular right now and unfortunately rather then continue to produce high quality entertainment Disney is floundering trying to make muppets into somthing it isnt.

I agree but maybe this type of comedy isn’t popular because it isn’t being done well currently? People were excited for the new muppets show, until it wasn’t what they were wanting... which is classic muppet humor!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom