• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

The Muppet Show now has an offensive content warning

HauntedPirate

Sheltered-at-home Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Advertisement
They have left them up for that reason, just added a warning, they want people to use critical thinking.
“Rather than removing this content, we see an opportunity to spark conversation and open dialogue on history that affects us all,” the company said.

Why do we need to “spark conversation and open dialogue”? Because too many people are incapable of thinking for themselves? Because too many people can’t think critically because our educational systems have failed them for the past 40 years? Because too many people “get offended” at the slightest breeze that blows the wrong way because social media tells them to? My kids see these things and just laugh. They’ve been taught (NOT by the school system) that sometimes jokes are just jokes, it’s ok to laugh at things, but also that’s not how you treat people anymore. It’s ok to laugh at things in private and also at the same time realize what was acceptable then may not be the same today. If some wish to look down on me for that, that’s their problem, not mine. Be pragmatic instead of ideological, it will do you a world of good. Get a thicker skin, grow a spine, and get a clue.

Jon81uk

They’ve been taught (NOT by the school system) that sometimes jokes are just jokes, it’s ok to laugh at things, but also that’s not how you treat people anymore

Thats great, but these warnings will help make sure that everyone is as good a parent as you and they can discuss with their children why those jokes aren't so great anymore and how to treat people that are different to themselves correctly.

EagleScout610

20210220_094726.jpg

Robbiem

The (straight) white (male) perspective was mostly unchallenged and therefore, the default. Anything other than that was “funny,” and fair game for stereotyping, comedy, etc.
I’d say it was an even narrower subset, more a wasp view, plenty of white stereotyping went on. Just look at attitudes to the Irish or some of Peter Sellar’s comedy characters. Prejudice is about more than skin color

Robbiem

They have left them up for that reason, just added a warning, they want people to use critical thinking.
“Rather than removing this content, we see an opportunity to spark conversation and open dialogue on history that affects us all,” the company said.

But who decided what was offensive and what isn’t? If you truly believe and want to open dialogue then show song of the south or other ‘restricted’ programs, make programs which show the context of the times or better yet makes shows like people and places and help to educate people about others

Anything is probably offensive to someone but you choose to be offended or not - as a cockney I can be offended by mary Poppins and bedknobs and broomsticks but no one is apologising to me or telling people I’m not the stereotype they portray

NelleBelle

Despite my personal feelings regarding SoTS, I do agree that if they're going to start policing everything now by putting "caution, may contain offensive scenes" or whatever the message is they're slapping on their movies and shows, then they should release SoTS with a message as well. As much as I think it's silly to put a message about smoking on Pinocchio (and I forget what other films they did it to), I'd rather roll my eyes at it than have those movies locked away forever in a vault because "smoking is bad and causes cancer" and Disney can't be held responsible for potentially corrupting the health and moral health of the youth who watch these movies. I agree with the post of give parents some credit.

NelsonRD

Thats great, but these warnings will help make sure that everyone is as good a parent as you and they can discuss with their children why those jokes aren't so great anymore and how to treat people that are different to themselves correctly.

Too many warnings desensitize people. If there is ever a major weather event in my area, I will miss it because of the constant monthly test, and other Emergency Broadcast System messages, makes my initial response to ignore it. Similar to California Prop 65, or clicking accept on software. Nobody reads it.

The Disney plus message is a generic warning, and does not discuss the specifics. So how do I know if the content includes a flag, or something else? How effective is "view discretion is advised"? As a parent, if I watch a movie, I am looking to be entertained, and I am not breaking into a political discussion with my children while watching Dumbo.

Lastly, who are the people that are soft enough to be offended by a flag, but strong enough to accept it with a warning?

Tom P.

No, no they won't.

Tom Morrow

The outrage in this thread makes no sense to me. A few weeks ago, we didn’t even have The Muppet Show on Disney+. Now the whole thing is available, uncensored, and people are up in arms about a few warnings on select episodes. Talk about easily offended!

Exactly. When they remove the content completely, these people rage out and say "why couldn't they just add a disclaimer for those "offended snowflakes"?
Disney: *does just that*
"No, not like that!! This is an outrage! What a bunch of snowflakes!" Over a simple "hey this episode might not align with modern social norms" text.

Which party is really overreacting here?

yensidtlaw1969

In the Parks
No
Why do we need to “spark conversation and open dialogue”? Because too many people are incapable of thinking for themselves? Because too many people can’t think critically because our educational systems have failed them for the past 40 years? Because too many people “get offended” at the slightest breeze that blows the wrong way because social media tells them to? My kids see these things and just laugh. They’ve been taught (NOT by the school system) that sometimes jokes are just jokes, it’s ok to laugh at things, but also that’s not how you treat people anymore. It’s ok to laugh at things in private and also at the same time realize what was acceptable then may not be the same today. If some wish to look down on me for that, that’s their problem, not mine. Be pragmatic instead of ideological, it will do you a world of good. Get a thicker skin, grow a spine, and get a clue.

I'm not sure I'm following . . .

The warning is in place to ask people to engage critical thinking and encourage them to view what they're about to watch through the same lens you claim to have taught your kids to look through . . . and you're mad about it??

CptSct

Kids, we need to sit down and have a talk.

During this program, among the pig going "HIIYYYYYYAAAA!" as she throws her frog friend through a brick wall on frequent occasion, the chef oftentimes shooting a musket at live chickens and breaded goods, the relentless heckling of a innocent bear trying to perform his comedy routine, a dancers head literally falling off in a ballroom, the guy who loves to go around randomly blowing stuff up, the drummer who throws periodic fits of rage and occasionally bites the celebrity guest, hard objects falling from the stage ceiling onto performers below, wall telephones that combust, vegetables that attack, mallet assaults to the head, suicide attempts for gags, using ones own head to beat a gong, nose pulling, face punching, and high-kicking into the groin... we want you to know that you might see the occasional stereotype of various people(s). We just want you to know that these stereotypes are not OK by todays standards, and please come to mommy or myself if you have any further questions.

Cmdr_Crimson

I'm not sure I'm following . . .

The warning is in place to ask people to engage critical thinking and encourage them to view what they're about to watch through the same lens you claim to have taught your kids to look through . . . and you're mad about it??
Last I checked these guys were doing that on a channel that was meant for lesson building..
QVETBNV7URQ57EVFXRFFH5W3LE.jpg

You can see how that show has really toned downed once Sesame Workshop took over...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom