• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

The Muppet Show now has an offensive content warning

mergatroid

Original Poster
Disney+ is still airing the shows but with a warning. Apparently it's because of Native American, Arab and East Asian stereotyping. I can't remember any of that myself though it must be in there somewhere. Hopefully this won't affect Muppet Vision?

larryz

I Laugh to Love
Premium Member
Advertisement
Disney+ is still airing the shows but with a warning. Apparently it's because of Native American, Arab and East Asian stereotyping. I can't remember any of that myself though it must be in there somewhere. Hopefully this won't affect Muppet Vision?
1613935247752.png

Cmdr_Crimson

There isn't anything offensive in Muppetvision except..
  1. Statler pointing out a woman wearing a Goofy Mask
  2. Statler & Waldorf saying that the song is being spoiled by a pig.
  3. Waldo....Just Because..

GimpYancIent

What about the Swedish chef?
Me, Myself and I, all three of us have never seen anything objectionable on anything Muppets! Some content has been funnier than other things, some content has been more interesting the other stuff, but, nothing offensive. That said, Disney can simply have a general, legally worded and reviewed by the legal department lawyers, warning anyone viewing that SOME people may feel SOME of the content being presented MAY be offensive and to watch at their own discretion. This whole "I am offended" thing has now become ridiculous.

Tony the Tigger

The entire 70’s and 80’s were stereotyping those folks and more.

That was life then. Rather than consequences, it was socially acceptable at the time. That’s reality.

The (straight) white (male) perspective was mostly unchallenged and therefore, the default. Anything other than that was “funny,” and fair game for stereotyping, comedy, etc.

God help the youngsters when they realize who Mr. Potato Head really was.

GimpYancIent

The entire 70’s and 80’s were stereotyping those folks and more.

That was life then. Rather than consequences, it was socially acceptable at the time. That’s reality.

The (straight) white (male) perspective was mostly unchallenged and therefore, the default. Anything other than that was “funny,” and fair game for stereotyping, comedy, etc.

God help the youngsters when they realize who Mr. Potato Head really was.
Disney can have an archival availability to viewers, who at their own discretion, can retrieve and view IP's in their original form when ever they want. Disney can also generate updated, reviewed, sensitive and non-offensive versions of the same IP's for general viewing. The pulling, shelving and blocking of IP's will not cleanse history but rather raise curiosity in up coming generations to find out what the issues were all about. Yes, just like self appointed enlightened people now are questioning and making determinations there will be others (Yep! another generation) in the future that will undo, change and further question the interpretations and decisions being made now. I have full trust and confidence in the youngsters I am seeing a lot of intelligence and capability in the up coming generations and they will sift through all the ash and trash being generated now.

Jon81uk

This has very little to do with anything the muppets said or did and more to do with what the human guests did.

"The disclaimer has been added to each of the episodes for different reasons, including one where Johnny Cash sings in front of the Confederate flag." https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56153016

"In another, from season three, Spike Milligan appears in a multitude of caricatured national costumes as part of a performance of It’s a Small World After All, including as a Chinese person with exaggerated front teeth and a long braid."
"In a 1978 episode, Peter Sellers appears in a segment titled A Gypsy’s Violin wearing a black headscarf with gilded trimmings, a red vest and a large red satin belt, and singing in a heavy accent lines such as: “Once his love gave him golden earring / And now the ears are turning green.” https://www.theguardian.com/culture...ow-episodes-given-a-content-warning-on-disney

(Also shouldn't this be in the Disney+ forum not the parks forum)

Jon81uk

Again... Critical thinking skills. If you have them, you don’t have to be offended by things that happened in the past.

They have left them up for that reason, just added a warning, they want people to use critical thinking.
“Rather than removing this content, we see an opportunity to spark conversation and open dialogue on history that affects us all,” the company said.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom