The moments leading to your WDW trip

WDW-Crazy

Original Poster
Just thought it would be cool for anyone to share their rituals, what usually happens right before the trip. The last few days, the night before you leave, leaving for the airport or driving your own car, your driving rituals and trip route, your arrival in Orlando by plane or car, your arrical to WDW.

For us, we usually drive (I've only flown twice in my previous eight trips) and for me, the road trip itself is all part of the fun. I love stopping at the rest areas and travel centers along I-95...definitely adds to the trip. I also love the free O.J. at the Florida Citrus Centers and Welcome Centers. But the best part for me is arriving at WDW itself and to our resort.

What are your pre-trip rituals?

forevermickey

I start packing about a month prior. I have a list saved on my computer, as I put things in the suitcase I check it off the list as the month goes by. I clean my house spotless and write lots of notes for the person staying at the house with my baby ( dog). We pack, zip, and weigh the suitcases and load them in the car the night before. I also have a checklist for the house of things that have to be done and checked before we walk out the door.

I wake up about 5am to shower, coffee and take care of dog, help my daughter get ready and check the house, leave house about 8am to get to airport and on plane about 9am... arrive at Orlando airport around 12ishpm..... take picture with Snow White at MCO Airport Disney Store, get rent-a-car.....off to Publix to stock up on some things... off to the Caribbean Beach Resort.. check in... lunch and off to the MK!!!!!!

EvilQueen-T

the day we book we make a countdown clock for our trip and our adr date. then we start looking at restaurants we want to eat at, make our list of 1st and 2nd choices based on park hours we've obtained from the website. we start sending little disney things to each other via email. this could be trivia, photos, quizes we make up etc...we plan a t shirt which means planning a theme for our trip. two days before is laundry, last minute shopping etc..., day before is packing (and calling each other to find out are you packed yet, what did you pack, i'm still packing...you get the picture). then we're out the door at 4-430am (we drive) to be at our resort by about 7am for check-in then it's to the parks until the end of emh. it's funny how all year long when i'm working i just want to sleep in but as soon as i go on vacation i go with about 3 hours of sleep a night :brick:...and i wonder why i'm tired all the time.

wvdisneyfamily

Just thought it would be cool for anyone to share their rituals, what usually happens right before the trip. The last few days, the night before you leave, leaving for the airport or driving your own car, your driving rituals and trip route, your arrival in Orlando by plane or car, your arrical to WDW.

For us, we usually drive (I've only flown twice in my previous eight trips) and for me, the road trip itself is all part of the fun. I love stopping at the rest areas and travel centers along I-95...definitely adds to the trip. I also love the free O.J. at the Florida Citrus Centers and Welcome Centers. But the best part for me is arriving at WDW itself and to our resort.

What are your pre-trip rituals?

I'm so glad to hear from someone else who enjoys the drive!
We also look forward to the welcome center OJ. I always look for the JR Outlet signs. They make me laugh.
As far as other traditions, we leave in the early AM and drive to Savannah for an overnight stay and lunch at the Pirate's House.
What we do when we arrive depends on where we stay.

Yay! Fun thread! Getting me excited - just 9 more days...

Cmdr_Crimson

For me the day before my trip is the day I'm the most excited..I start out the day in Rosemont at a small italian restuarant for breakfast. After which I make my way out to Chicago to go to the Museum of Science & Industry..I have to say that the museum reminds me alot like Epcot with the different exhibits showcasing transportation, science, technology, space, and of course imagination. Then when I return home I do a double check on all my things and around 8pm I'm having dinner at The Ram Brewery and Restaurant, I love to get the 1lb stadium burger (I cut it in half & Bring the other half home). Then I get up around 2-3am and do one last check, have the other half of my burger:slurp:..Then it's off to O'hare...Luckily for me I only live 3 minutes to the airport so you can tell how excited I really get when I'm on my way back to Orlando...:D

mergatroid

As we fly from the Uk always leaving early in the morning, the night before we traditionally have a Chinese takeaway and usually watch our La Nouba DVD before bed. When my wife goes to bed I pop on here and read threads and watch youtube clips to get in the mood.

jlevis

We drive from Southeast Michigan. We've done it often enough that it is pretty much routine. A week or so before I have the car checked; oil change a tires rotated, if needed. We take our dog to our son's and pack most of the stuff in the car the night before. We like to leave early 5ish and we stop for breakfast at a Cracker Barrel in Ohio. Then lunch at a Cracker Barrel, then dinner at - you guessed it. We stop for the night around Macon Georgia. We'll leave early again stopping for breakfast at, yep a Cracker Barrel and we will get to our timeshare around 2. If the villa is ready we unload the car and head to Publix for perishables. If not its off the Downtown Disney and Fulton's Crab House for dinner. We enjoy the drive and it is fun to compare the changes of the seasons. There is nothing ritualistic about the drive other than the Cracker Barrel but it has become a prelude to the the parks.

puntagordabob

Even though we live two hours away and go quite often...I still find myself with difficulty to sleep the night before heh....guess thats sort of an unofficial ritual! :)

heartodisney

This will be our first time to drive down...did not know about the Visitors Centers and some "free stuff"...will try that! I have become a big detractor of flying these days, but if you have to fly , ya just gotta grin and bear it! We will dive to the halfway point in Destin (actually Crestview) to visit relatives and get a round of golf in. Then on to visit a CM that works in the golf department that we have kept in contact with over the years before we check in..have already made 3 ADR's for her to have dinner with us! The morning before we leave..pack up..ride a boat over to the Contemporay..Monorail to Poly..B-fast with Lilo and Stich..reverse back..check out ...drive off and cry...but , at least we will not be in the airport wondering...what could we have done this morning before we left?

We always make a summer trip so as soon as the kids get out of school they start placing Disney themed stickers on a countdown calendar (doesnt matter that my DD is now a tween she looked for the calendar the day summer vacation started!)
We too start packing early with our lists etc. and dinning choices.
We watch, over and over, all the Disney shows the I have saved on the DVR. This year Netflix added many Disney choices to the list of watch instantly choices!!
Then the week or so before the Disney related cooking starts; mickey shaped pancakes, grilled cheese with Mickey stamped on the bread. Anything we can shape Mickey style gets shaped. All meals are served on Disney plates. Drinks are served in resort mugs or refillable Disney plastic cups with the flashing cubes saved for previous trips.
Ofcourse we play many many disney board games too.
The morning of our trip we always set a special alarm clock used only on mornings leaving for a Disney trip...its Tigger who wakes us by saying "Are your ready for some bouncing??".. No matter how early the whole family jumps out of bed and off we go!

liloohana

I'm so glad to hear from someone else who enjoys the drive!
We also look forward to the welcome center OJ. I always look for the JR Outlet signs. They make me laugh.
As far as other traditions, we leave in the early AM and drive to Savannah for an overnight stay and lunch at the Pirate's House.
What we do when we arrive depends on where we stay.

Yay! Fun thread! Getting me excited - just 9 more days...

We're leaving in 20 days!! We drive down also, and love the drive. I never would have believed that as our children have gotten older, they are even easier on the drive down!!
My question was, do you have any recommendations for a nice overnight stay in Savannah? It's hard to know where to stop on the drive down.
I also looked up teh Pirate's House, it looks neat!!

As for pre-trip rituals, we do a paper chain with our favorites written on each one. And, of course, all of the normal stuff....cleaning, packing, last minutes errands to make sure we have lotion and sunglasses and beach towels and baby powder (it's so sticky in FLA)....
This trip we are going to try to find some books on CD that the whole family would enjoy-something along the lines of the Harry Potter series!! It makes the ride so much more enjoyable when you have a story to listen to!

Missymoe4

For me the day before my trip is the day I'm the most excited..I start out the day in Rosemont at a small italian restuarant for breakfast. After which I make my way out to Chicago to go to the Museum of Science & Industry..I have to say that the museum reminds me alot like Epcot with the different exhibits showcasing transportation, science, technology, space, and of course imagination. Then when I return home I do a double check on all my things and around 8pm I'm having dinner at The Ram Brewery and Restaurant, I love to get the 1lb stadium burger (I cut it in half & Bring the other half home). Then I get up around 2-3am and do one last check, have the other half of my burger:slurp:..Then it's off to O'hare...Luckily for me I only live 3 minutes to the airport so you can tell how excited I really get when I'm on my way back to Orlando...:D

Hello neighbor!! I live in Park Ridge, and like you, love the short trip to O'Hare. Can I ask what Italian Restaurant you eat at in Rosemont?

WDW-Crazy

Original Poster
Something else I forgot to add to members who drive, especially from the PA, MD, NJ, NY (and neaby) areas....who also loves counting the Waffle Houses and South of the Border signs along I-95? I remember during our drive down in the old Buick LeSabre (during our 1995 trip), I remember seeing how many Waffle Houses we could try to spot. I think we ended up eating at one as well. I know there are plenty of them down in the south.

As far as South of the Border, I swear there are at least five signs per mile along the roadway as you get closer to the place. :D

EvilQueen-T

Even though we live two hours away and go quite often...I still find myself with difficulty to sleep the night before heh....guess thats sort of an unofficial ritual! :)

lol we're 2 hours in the other direction and are the same way...and i grew up in orlando but as we all know disney isn't orlando...it's disney :)

becanya

Before we leave for any vacation we ALWAYS go out to dinner the night before at Olive Garden. I know it's just a chain, but my husband and I met waiting for a table at Olive Garden in November 1998...and we go back to that same Olive Garden on nights before our special days. Had my bachelorette dinner there, ate there the night before both my c-sections, and we go there for dinner the night before we leave for vacation. We also do a chain to count down...last year we started with 80 days on the chain!

wvdisneyfamily

We're leaving in 20 days!! We drive down also, and love the drive. I never would have believed that as our children have gotten older, they are even easier on the drive down!!
My question was, do you have any recommendations for a nice overnight stay in Savannah? It's hard to know where to stop on the drive down.
I also looked up teh Pirate's House, it looks neat!!

As for pre-trip rituals, we do a paper chain with our favorites written on each one. And, of course, all of the normal stuff....cleaning, packing, last minutes errands to make sure we have lotion and sunglasses and beach towels and baby powder (it's so sticky in FLA)....
This trip we are going to try to find some books on CD that the whole family would enjoy-something along the lines of the Harry Potter series!! It makes the ride so much more enjoyable when you have a story to listen to!

We've stayed in a few places in downtown Savannah. Our favorite is the River Street Inn. Orbitz has some awesome prices on it right now. I also like the Mulberry Inn and the Marriot Courtyard.

The Pirate's House is incredible. I suggest going at lunch. They have an awesome buffet. I think the buffet is over at three. I also suggest making a reservation because it can get busy.

The Moon River Brewery is also great. DH and I don't like beer, so I can't comment on that, but I can suggest the pork BBQ and fries. Yummy! It's very reasonably priced as well.

Have fun is Savannah! It's one of my favorite places to visit. It's definitely worth paying for a hotel in the historic district and walking down to the river. There are lots of neat shops as well as some awesome boats on the Savannah River. By the way, if you go to River Street, two suggestions.
1. a praline from River Street Sweets
2. forzen yogurt from Columbo shop -peach is the best

DisneyDebNJ

After dogs are dropped off at the Kennel, all laundry done, family packed, I sit down to my laptop,, hit these boards, with a glass of wine, go over my *must do* list a hundred times, (since I can't sleep from excitement!!!!) fill out our luggage tags from Disney and wait til 4 am, to leave for the airport!!!! As we're told we can board the plane, I white-knuckle it, til I hear "Welcome to Orlando", the rest..... is a dream come true, worth the sleep depravation and sore knuckles from the plane ride!! :lol:

Bowler Hat Girl

We love the drive down from Chicago. The past few trips, we've tried to spread it out so we have some leisurely days of driving and intend to stay over at hotels two nights on the way down so we're not wiped out from the drive when we get there. It doesn't work. Once we're on the road and know we'll be seeing the welcome gate soon, we end up getting there a day before our reservations kick in. Thankfully, we go at less crowded times of the year so we can get in at DTD for a night!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom