The man behind Disney's success story

Clever Name

Original Poster
The man behind Disney's success story

By François Rochon, Special to THE GAZETTE November 19, 2013

9181124.jpg

Disney brings an icy world to life in Frozen. The beauty of the consumer products division lies in the fact that it continues to make profits out of movie characters for many years

Photograph by: Disney

MONTREAL — In March 2011, I wrote a detailed column on the Walt Disney Company. The stock was then trading at $42. It reached a record high of $70 last week, up 67 per cent over the 32 months. I believe the rise is totally justified by the solid economic performance of the company during this time frame.

Firstly, let’s look at the latest results. Walt Disney Co. reported record earnings for its fourth quarter and fiscal year ended September 28. Diluted earnings per share (EPS) for the quarter increased 13 per cent to 77 cents from 68 cents in the prior-year quarter. For the year, adjusted EPS increased 10 per cent to $3.39 from $3.13 in 2012.

The Media Networks is still the main contributor to operating profit. It earned $6.8 billion in 2013 (64 per cent of total profits). The main brands are Disney Channel and ESPN. The specialty sport channel is an outstanding business. It was acquired some 17 years ago when Disney merged with Capital Cities ABC. Although Disney’s main target was the ABC broadcast Network, it turned out that the treasure was ESPN.

The other main division is Parks and Resorts: For the fiscal year, revenues increased 9 per cent to $14.1 billion and segment operating income increased 17 per cent to $2.2 billion.

Operating income growth reflected increases at domestic parks and resorts, Disney Vacation Club and Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, partially offset by a decrease at Disneyland Paris and higher pre-opening costs at Shanghai Disney Resort. Growth at domestic parks and resorts was due to increased guest spending, attendance and occupied room nights.

Although studio profits were down 8 per cent for the year, the consumer products division increased profits by 19 per cent.

Disney makes more money selling consumer items of all sorts than from making movies. The beauty of the consumer products division lies in the fact that it continues to make profits out of movie characters for many years — if not decades — after the movie is first released (as with Toy Story or Finding Nemo).

The big news of the fiscal year came at the end of October 2012 when Disney acquired Lucasfilm for $4 billion, adding the legendary Star Wars franchise to Disney’s stable of characters.

Disney CEO Robert Iger explained: “This is one of the great entertainment properties of all time, one of the best branded and one of the most valuable, and it’s just fantastic for us to have the opportunity to both buy it, run it and grow it.”

I share Iger’s enthusiasm. Star Wars totally fits with Disney. They can make new movies (Episode VII is scheduled for 2015), theme parks and — of course — consumer products.

In 2013, the important news was on the management front. Disney announced in July that Iger will not retire in 2015 as originally planned. Iger is currently the company’s Chairman and CEO. In 2011, Iger signed a new contract with the company that had him stepping down as chief executive in March 2015 and as executive chairman in mid-2016. Now, the board has asked him to stay in both roles until June 30, 2016.

This is great news since I believe Disney’s performance over the last eight years is due mainly to Bob Iger.

At Giverny Capital, we acquired our shares of Disney in September of 2005 the very day that Iger was named CEO. I had been admiring him for many years (he worked with Tom Murphy at Capital Cities ABC before the merger with Disney). I believed that he was the perfect candidate to lead Disney.

We bought our shares at $24. The company had EPS of $1.33 for the 2005 calendar year. In 2013, they should earn around $3.45. So earnings increased by 160 per cent in eight years or the equivalent of 13 per cent on an annualized basis.

This is an outstanding performance for such a large company. And the stock increased 192 per cent during the same time frame. We feel indebted towards Iger and are very happy that he will stay another three years.

At the current quote of $70, the stock is not as attractively priced as it was in 2005 or in March 2011 when I first wrote about it in this column. But I believe that Disney can earn $4 per share in 2014. So the stock trades at a forward price-earnings ratio of 17.5.

Disney is one of the best multinationals in the world, with some of the most beloved consumer brands and is, I believe, headed by an outstanding CEO. Its slight valuation premium seems to me to be totally warranted.

Magenta Panther

It's hardly news that Iger puts the stockholders above all - the exact opposite of how Walt regarded them. Walt focused on innovation and creativity. Iger focuses on profit and acquisition. He's might keep the coffers full, but he's tarnished the Disney legacy, probably irreparably. I really can't stand the guy. I can't WAIT for him to leave - but god only knows what will take his place...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It's hardly news that Iger puts the stockholders above all - the exact opposite of how Walt regarded them. Walt focused on innovation and creativity. Iger focuses on profit and acquisition. He's might keep the coffers full, but he's tarnished the Disney legacy, probably irreparably. I really can't stand the guy. I can't WAIT for him to leave - but god only knows what will take his place...

Jay Rasulo...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I admit I don't know much about him. Would his ascension to Iger's throne be a good thing?

Jay Rasulo is one of Paul Pressler's disciples - Jay is the guy behind 'One Disney' and the mallification of WDW, He is also responsible for the abomination known as NGE with its Mouse Arrest Band and MM-, He would be far worse

Cesar R M

Happy shareholders do not necessarily equate to happy guests.

Disgruntled, unhappy guests however, will soon enough lead to unhappy shareholders.

Guess which way the Disney pendulum is swinging.
considering OP's post says about how they are focusing more on merchandize and their channels than the parks...

I bet the trends of reduction of quality will continue.

Jimmy Thick

In these modern times of business with a weak US economy, the job Iger has done has been beyond exceptional, for the present and far into the future. Just see where the stock is when the new Star Wars and Avengers films come out. 100 dollar per share and possible split is not out of the equation, ask any broker with a modicum of intelligence.

Jimmy Thick- Got my shares at 17 bucks a pop, so keep making me rich!!! Every dollar you spend at the parks helps Jimmy's substantial retirement!!!

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Jay Rasulo is one of Paul Pressler's disciples - Jay is the guy behind 'One Disney' and the mallification of WDW, He is also responsible for the abomination known as NGE with its Mouse Arrest Band and MM-, He would be far worse
Rasulo did not come from Pressler's team. He came from the Strategic Planning Group.

wdwfan4ver

I admit I don't know much about him. Would his ascension to Iger's throne be a good thing?
No! Jay has caused a lot of problems for Disney. Jay is the reason Disney didn't get the theme park rights to Harry Potter by showing a Harry potter attraction that is a clone of Toy Story Midway Mania!:banghead:

What Jay did with Harry Potter is why Attendance at Universal theme parks are improving despite you are probably happy about Disney not getting Harry Potter because it wasn't Disney IP to begin with.

Jay is responsible for Mymagic plus. and the original Fantasy Land expansion that was announced at the 2009 D23 Expo.

My Magic Plus isn't good thing based on the fact Disney is delaying projects after Avatar because of it. Jay already announced My Magic Plus wouldn't be making a profit before 2015. The fact is the people at TDO/Burbank has decided not to okay anymore projects for WDW after Avatar until My Magic Plus makes a profit.

If you really want to what type of hole My Magic Plus got WDW into, it sounds like it will take Years to get back the money they spent on it. That means after Avatar at AK, the only additions will be meet greets for the parks for 5 to 10 years after Avatar opens. At the same time Imagination building would be rotting to the point it will need to be destroyed since the Imagination building will be closing at some point next year with it not opening again before Mymagic plus makes a profit.

Last edited:

Voxel

President of Progress City
The more I think about it, Iger is starting to make sense. What if Iger was placed into Disney head role due to his financial mind. We can not argue that his investments have placed Disney at a economic power greater then that before the recession. Not many companies, let alone CEO's can do that. With Iger leaving in 2016 and the recession hopefully over, Disney might place someone more Park oriented in. Iger makes sense as a CEO in a era where Recessions are breaking companies around.. While this is probably not accurate its an approach that makes business sense.

Thrill

In these modern times of business with a weak US economy, the job Iger has done has been beyond exceptional, for the present and far into the future. Just see where the stock is when the new Star Wars and Avengers films come out. 100 dollar per share and possible split is not out of the equation, ask any broker with a modicum of intelligence.

Exactly. The stock market, unlike the customer, is always right.

Just ask Enron's shareholders.

Stocks don't mean jack. The market can be wrong, and it usually is. It is very well possible that other sports networks increase competition and wreck ESPN in the coming years. It is very well possible that The Avengers only have a few years of mainstream success left. It is very well possible that Star Wars won't be a merchandising behemoth for the long-term. Yes, these all sound like safe bets in the short-term, but that's the thing: the stock market today is about high-frequency trading. Long-term factors get shoved aside, because who actually keeps stocks? Let the value get skewed, and dump the stock whenever.

Buyouts and ESPN aren't going to keep stock prices soaring for decades to come. The company needs to reliably produce new, high-quality IP if it intends to stick around. Seeing as new ideas have been few and far between, I'm sure I'm not the only one doubting this company's ability to actually make something new.

Last edited:

Clever Name

Original Poster
Exactly. The stock market, unlike the customer, is always right.

Just ask Enron's shareholders.

Stocks don't mean jack. The market can be wrong, and it usually is. It is very well possible that other sports networks increase competition and wreck ESPN in the coming years. It is very well possible that The Avengers only have a few years of mainstream success left. It is very well possible that Star Wars won't be a merchandising behemoth for the long-term. Yes, these all sound like safe bets in the short-term, but that's the thing: the stock market today is about high-frequency trading. Long-term factors get shoved aside, because who actually keeps stocks? Let the value get skewed, and dump the stock whenever.

Buyouts and ESPN aren't going to keep stock prices soaring for decades to come. The company needs to reliably produce new, high-quality IP if it intends to stick around. Seeing as new ideas have been few and far between, I'm sure I'm not the only one doubting this company's ability to actually make something new.
I agree. That why Iger has been so brilliant. He understands that the creative types within the Disney empire have not been pulling their weight by creating new and high quality IP. Instead, Iger has bought new IP in lieu of the creation of IP. Perhaps it's time for Iger to start thinning the ranks within Disney's creative ranks in an effort to motivate the creation of high quality IP. Or perhaps Iger could just reduce the ranks in Disney creative and instead contract out for independent IP production.

Magenta Panther

I agree. That why Iger has been so brilliant. He understands that the creative types within the Disney empire have not been pulling their weight by creating new and high quality IP. Instead, Iger has bought new IP in lieu of the creation of IP. Perhaps it's time for Iger to start thinning the ranks within Disney's creative ranks in an effort to motivate the creation of high quality IP. Or perhaps Iger could just reduce the ranks in Disney creative and instead contract out for independent IP production.

But none of that "new" IP is actually new. It's decades old - Marvel, Star Wars, Muppets etc. - and already mined extensively. We already know the Muppets IP is a dud. Star Wars remains to be seen - I think there'll be fan enthusiasm, but NOTHING like the level we saw when the second trilogy came out, partly because it sucked. Marvel is hit and miss - its own history, complete with bankruptcy, has proven that. To me, Iger is a fathead who does not appear to learn lessons well. He's admitted that the main problem with the old DCA was that there wasn't enough Disney in it - and yet he's ready to pollute the parks all over again with non-Disney-created IPs. He may be "brilliant" at keeping stockholders happy, but then so are CEOS like Mike Duke of Wal-Mart. Iger is NOT brilliant when it comes to Disney's unique place in the Hollywood pantheon, nor does he understand the Disney legacy of creativity, quality and innovation - things the public used to expect from and celebrate about Disney. He's just a CEO, a Roy Disney without Walt. And I'm telling you, I want him out of there so bad I can taste it...

Thrill

Not a good way to motivate.

That sends a signal of "play conservative, or you're gone." The message you want to send is, "Take risks and innovate." That aside, he's already making cuts. Pixar just laid off something like 2% of its staff. Wasn't forced by Burbank, but it was almost certainly a preemptive cut.

What Disney should do is accept the reality that the game is about the change in Hollywood. For every Avengers or Toy Story 3, Disney has also thrown out a John Carter or Lone Ranger. Stop gambling on $250 million blockbusters, because it's not going to work forever. Netflix and company are about to force a paradigm shift. Disney, I think, understands that Netflix is important, given their recent Marvel deal, but I don't think they see the big picture. I really think we're going to see a shift from big blockbusters, and towards TV series such as Breaking Bad and cheaper movies.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Jimmy Thick- Got my shares at 17 bucks a pop, so keep making me rich!!! Every dollar you spend at the parks helps Jimmy's substantial retirement!!!

Sell now or at least cash out your original investment, Recall Cramer's Dictum Bulls and Bears prosper, Pigs get slaughtered.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom