deleted

brb1006

When did this whole rowdy WOO! phenomenon start exactly? People whooping and screeching at literally every happening everywhere has gotten old quickly. It's Disneyland not an Oakland Raiders game.
Same thing happened during the final showing of MSEP at WDW. This isn't anything new at this point. Probably because most of the older guests are very fond of MSEP

jrhwdw

When did this whole rowdy WOO! phenomenon start exactly? People whooping and screeching at literally every happening everywhere has gotten old quickly. It's Disneyland not an Oakland Raiders game.
DL's MSEP in 1996? To anyone who was at MSEP's finale in 1996, was the walk back to Small World more mournful or just as energetic?
IDK how Parade finales went before 2008 but Stars and Cars/DHS, BPB/DHS, CADCT/MK, DL60's PTN, and MSEP2016/MK all got wonderful sendoffs! I'm not sure if any MK Day/Night parade before CADCT, Spectro in 2010 or PTN Xmas 2016 in DL got that type of sendoff?

brb1006

DL's MSEP in 1996? To anyone who was at MSEP's finale in 1996, was the walk back to Small World more mournful or just as energetic?
IDK how Parade finales went before 2008 but Stars and Cars/DHS, BPB/DHS, CADCT/MK, DL60's PTN, and MSEP2016/MK all got wonderful sendoffs! I'm not sure if any MK Day/Night parade before CADCT, Spectro in 2010 or PTN Xmas 2016 in DL got that type of sendoff?
I remember hearing reports from the final night of MSEP from 1996 at DL where it was mostly celebrated with cheers and applause. At one point, the entire parade stopped for a few seconds then continued. After the lights went back on guests were singing the closing song from the Mickey Mouse Club as a tribute.

Here's footage from the last night back in 1996.

I actually wish Spectromagic had a sendoff like that back in 2010 then again this was before MSEP lasted much longer at WDW. And guests didn't expect Spectro to get destroyed as a result since Spectro was going to return when the 2010 Summer run was supposed to end.

D

Deleted member 107043

DL's MSEP in 1996?

Although I think they're odd places for boisterous rock concert behavior I wasn't limiting my comment to Disney Parks. It seems like this type of disruptive conduct is common almost everywhere nowadays. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Disney guests are doing it too. OK I'll stop now.

Last edited by a moderator:

TP2000

Oh my gosh, yes. The entire "WOOOO!" thing is just so annoying. I seem to remember it starting around the 1990's, but they were shorter Woo's back then, and in short bursts. You really didn't hear it in the 1980's or earlier. Now the Woo's are louder and more drawn out and just keep going, and I have to think the people making that noise have such a stunted vocabulary that they simply don't have the ability to communicate their feelings other than shouting Woo.

In the same vein, I've noticed the same types of 30ish and under folks have replaced their entire vocabulary of adjectives with the single word "amazing". A tasty food item is "amazing!" and a cute art project is "amazing!" and a failed political campaign is "amazing!".

I really don't believe that these people are amazed at a fresh donut or macrame wall art or 232 electoral college votes. They are merely pleased by such things and/or admire them, genuinely or patronizingly. But their vocabulary skills seem to have devolved into such a sorry state that all they can do now is yell "WOOOO!" and call anything that isn't total crap "Amazing!"

I suppose I should just be happy that they aren't using the F word in public as their sole adjective and adverb. WOOOO!

Last edited:

FerretAfros

Lest we forget about Beatlemania, people have been screaming for things they like for generations.
200.gif

Yes, the specific "woo" sound may be a new take on it, but it's hardly a new phenomenon. I like complaining about "kids these days" as much as anybody, but this seems like a silly battle to pick
I really don't believe that these people are amazed at a fresh donut or macrame wall art or 232 electoral college votes
Macramé wall art? Really? And I'd been led to believe that you were a refined gentleman with such discerning tastes!

I suppose we all have our vices and guilty pleasures (and I do have a soft spot for my mom's macramé wall Santa that gets brought out every Christmas), but this just seems so out of character for the most dignified member of our community

brb1006

Lest we forget about Beatlemania, people have been screaming for things they like for generations.
200.gif

Yes, the specific "woo" sound may be a new take on it, but it's hardly a new phenomenon. I like complaining about "kids these days" as much as anybody, but this seems like a silly battle to pick

Macramé wall art? Really? And I'd been led to believe that you were a refined gentleman with such discerning tastes!

I suppose we all have our vices and guilty pleasures (and I do have a soft spot for my mom's macramé wall Santa that gets brought out every Christmas), but this just seems so out of character for the most dignified member of our community
Michael Jackson fans are an even bigger offender during the days when MJ was still alive and later carried onto Bieber.

D

Deleted member 107043

I did say that rock concerts and sports games are traditionally raucous occasions.

TP2000

Have you been to Portland lately? The hipsters are all about Macrame now, although more the hanging plant holders than the circa 1973 wall art. Macrame will get to SoCal in a year or two, mark my words. And the kids will say... Macrame is AMAZING! :rolleyes:

SSG

Oh my gosh, yes. The entire "WOOOO!" thing is just so annoying. I seem to remember it starting around the 1990's, but they were shorter Woo's back then, and in short bursts. You really didn't hear it in the 1980's or earlier. Now the Woo's are louder and more drawn out and just keep going, and I have to think the people making that noise have such a stunted vocabulary that they simply don't have the ability to communicate their feelings other than shouting Woo.

In the same vein, I've noticed the same types of 30ish and under folks have replaced their entire vocabulary of adjectives with the single word "amazing". A tasty food item is "amazing!" and a cute art project is "amazing!" and a failed political campaign is "amazing!".

I really don't believe that these people are amazed at a fresh donut or macrame wall art or 232 electoral college votes. They are merely pleased by such things and/or admire them, genuinely or patronizingly. But their vocabulary skills seem to have devolved into such a sorry state that all they can do now is yell "WOOOO!" and call anything that isn't total crap "Amazing!"

I suppose I should just be happy that they aren't using the F word in public as their sole adjective and adverb. WOOOO!

Woo!.jpg

Figments Friend

So I made a epic post the night of the 'last showing' of the parade, but I see it didn't post here due to the bad wifi connection at my motel.

So I'll try again....this time while listening to the piano and enjoying the ambiance of the lobby of the Grand Californian where the wifi connection is 100 times better.

I was there for the last showing of the Parade, as i consider myself a long time fan and wanted to be there for this.
Had to share my 'magical moment' experience with everyone here....

I had a prime viewing location curbside on the corner of Main Street where the floats turn at a very close angle.
Right in front of the Emporium, that thin stretch that is standing only with no one in front or behind you.
Perfect spot to watch the floats enter from their starting point, make their way around Town Square, and proceed onto Main Street proper.

Well I must have looked like the obvious fan of the Parade, wearing my WDW 'Electrical Water Pageant' shirt and twinkling seed light wire 'necklace' around my neck.
As the Casey Jr. and drum float pass by, one of the float tenders following behind the drum comes over to me and passes me a small handful of the plastic light covers used on the float lights!
He tells me perhaps I can use them with my lights that I was wearing around my neck.
Wether he had some spares in his pocket, or saw me standing there and pulled them right off the float I didn't see....but for this fan it was a cool gesture.
:)

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Also should add that following the Parade up the rest of the route all the way to the exit gate with a pack of die-hard MSEP fans was a real hoot.
Every time we crossed a 'zone' and the finale music went off, all of us cheered like crazy.
When the Parade finally exited by Small World, the crowd went nuts.
Soon people were chanting for a encore, and Cast were out hugging each other.
It was quite a scene...glad to have been a part of that.

I'm sure it's all up in YouTube now...ill have go watch some of the footage and see if I spot myself in the throng.

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom