The main hurricane Charley thread (for WDW & Central Fla. discussion)

ISTCrew20

Hey...It's me.

I'm fine, family is fine. I only read until page 9 of this thread, and I heard from Kenan...Kenan's fine, and has power. We had power restored last night, and were told it would take 7 days. It only took 2...So have hope.

I'll post some pictures of what everything looks like soon.

It was only a category2 hurricane when it came through, and people on the coast had it REAL bad (cat4). I'm just very thankful everyone was ok. It was one of the scariest things I have ever gone through. Shingles went through my screen porch like projectiles...like, it could of chopped your head right off. Things are getting better, and if you cannot get in touch with loved ones down here, the cell phone situation is getting worked on. Any other info, I'll keep you updated, and I'll put some pics up soon.

prberk

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the prayers and condolences. I am sure that my family will appreciate them also, especially my aunt and uncle. The prayers of the humble are very powerful.

And I feel a kinship here on this board, too, as many of you in Florida are also dealing with things that remind us what is most important, and how fragile life is. What a gift it is. I keep you all in my prayers as well.

Patrick, I am glad to see you post, and with such a note of optimism also. You are right that we should keep hope... Hope your Florida neighbors who suffered worse damage are able to recover soon also.

Paul

Yen_Sid1

castmember604 said:
Does anybody have any information on the extent of the damage at Fort Wilderness and when they expect it to reopen?

All I heard was they are parking all the RV's at Port Orleans.

Pixie Duster

Hi kids, for anyone who was worried, myself and my family are ok. I stayed at my parents' house until this morning. They still do not have power, and I just got power in my apartment about 8 hours ago. Now I am cleaning the apartment. Call it "Hurricane Cleaning" if you will. Glad to hear our locals are ok, and to those that have had to deal with hard circumstances, we all are with you and will do whatever we can to help bring the sunshine back. I will have to catch up on the new posts later on.

Thanks to everyone for being such a great family to come home to...

WDWFREAK53

Paul...I'm deeply sorry to hear about the loss and my condolenses go out to you and your family!

Philharmagician...I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get some word from your family...I too am waiting for news.

GoofyFan1

Pixie Duster said:
Hi kids, for anyone who was worried, myself and my family are ok. I stayed at my parents' house until this morning. They still do not have power, and I just got power in my apartment about 8 hours ago. Now I am cleaning the apartment. Call it "Hurricane Cleaning" if you will. Glad to hear our locals are ok, and to those that have had to deal with hard circumstances, we all are with you and will do whatever we can to help bring the sunshine back. I will have to catch up on the new posts later on.

Good to hear from you. Glad you are safe.

ILUVTHEMOUSE

We got home from Florida yesterday morning after spending a week there. We rode out the storm in our timeshare at Orange Lake Resort. For those of you who may be unfamiliar, the resort is located west on 192 with AK and AKL in the backyard. We were very fortunate where we were. We never lost power and the most damage I noticed around the resort were uprooted trees.

My Aunt and Uncle live in a modular home in Kissimmee. They came and stayed with us during the storm. A tornado hit their neighborhood but fortunately they only lost their gutters, a window and most of their trees. Their neighbors, however, lost the roof of their home.

We were suppose to fly home on Saturday morning out of Sanford but our flight was cancelled. So, we spent the night at a hotel in Sanford. The Sanford airport was running on generators Saturday and had no computers or air conditioning. We were very lucky to find a hotel room because most of the residents were staying in hotels because they had no power. At the airport, we saw an airplane hanger that held commuter planes. The hangers were ripped apart and the planes were heavily damaged.

For those of you who are still awaiting word from loved ones, keep the faith, it is very difficult to get cellphone service down there and many many phone services are out. I like to keep a positive outlook that they are fine but just cannot call out. I will keep praying that they will be safe once located.

I have been through blizzards here in Ohio but that does not compare with this. It is tough to describe not only what we saw as far as damage but how this storm has effected businesses and services. Things like gas for your car and restaurants. Things we normally take for granted are no longer readily available. It is definitely something we will never forget.

barnum42

Sympathy and thoughts to Paul. I'm keeping everyone who is still waiting for news in my thoghts and it's great to hear back from more of the board members.

Nicole

Pixie Duster said:

Good to hear from you! Did you end up having to work Fri/Sat/Sun or were you able to be with your family? I know the last we heard from you you were thinking you still had to be at work Friday?

prberk

Original Poster
ISTCrew20 said:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v366/ISTCrew20/

Pictures need to be enlarged to be viewed better.

I will post some more later. Believe me, this is nothing compared to Punta Gorda and Polk county. Loss of trees is much better than loss of people.

Amen to that. Glad you are O.K.

That one big tree made the pulled-up lawn look like carpet! Can't wait to see your other pics.

Philharmagician... still praying that you hear something from your relatives soon (and others who are still unaccounted for). Please let us know when you hear.

BTW, still curious if anyone knows how they handled all those boats around WDW? How did they secure them? Were they just tied to the docks?

Paul

wdwfan30

does anyone live near deltona? my sister lives there and we can't reach her by phone or cell they live in a heavily wooded area their road isn't even paved its sand.

ISTCrew20

wdwfan30 said:
does anyone live near deltona? my sister lives there and we can't reach her by phone or cell they live in a heavily wooded area their road isn't even paved its sand.
I'll watch the ticker for info on Deltona. I'm not quite sure where that is, but It is my understanding that the only place where it got REALLY bad winds were Polk/Punta Gorda counties. I'll let you know about Deltona as soon as I know.

It's very frustrating trying to get through on phones. Many people in some areas that have phones, don't have power. Many people with power don't have phones.

It's very sad, but it's a chance to see the best (and sadly, the worst) in people. Believe me, power trucks have been going by on Osceola Parkway/FL Parkway nonstop, in big convoys of 10 to 20 trucks.

Anyone living in the area that knows where we can get food, please let me know.

THE PUBLIX/ALBERTSONS/WALMART ON OSCEOLA PARKWAY HAVE NO FOOD, WATER, ICE, OR DAIRY. One thing a few gas stations have in this area is GAS! "Smokers Express", "Hess", and "Quik Mart" all have gas with very minimal lines.

I went over to BK today because I was starving for food, and hadn't eaten anything filling in 3 days. Lines at BK and KFC were out the door, but employees were working hard, and I applaud them for that. But anybody with any info on food like bread/cheese/meat/ and water, please let me know. Thanks.

sillyspook13

Another update from "Hurricane Central" as my household has been dubbed:

This evening my mom (who had been in Georgia for her class reunion) decided to drive around and check out damage from Charley. She was pretty shaken up when se saw the damage- the news reports and first-hand accounts of the storm were finally sinking in for her. We drove through several neighborhoods in the Dr. Phillips area near where we used to live. Damage there was so much worse than Windermere. We visited some of mom's coworkers who had significant property damage from downed trees. Along the way we saw downed powerlines, shattered signs, damage to fences and homes, and a traffic light which was completely missing. Downed trees were in the hundreds at least. A small forested area had been nearly leveled. We could see some damage at sea world from the road- the canopy over Shamu's Happy Harbor had been completely stripped off and much of the play area was damaged. There was also damage to the clydesdale stable and pastures. On the way home we saw dozens of cherry pickers parked at a hotel on International Drive near the convention center.

Yesterday my sisters got power and water back in their neighborhood. Still no phones though.

I still have one close friend I haven't been able to get in touch with, by phone or online. I'm hoping that it's simply power failure (he lives downtown) and nothing worse.

sillyspook13

From USA Today....

"The luxury vacation haven of North Captiva Island, which can be reached only by air and boat, was divided in two by Charley's storm surge, creating a new inlet that appears to be several hundred yards long, Lee County spokesman Pat O'Rourke said. The island's main road was submerged, but the extent of damage to homes was not determined."

Obviously one island town that will never be the same..... :eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom