The main hurricane Charley thread (for WDW & Central Fla. discussion)

prberk

Original Poster
I thought it would be easier for us to keep up with the discussion as all of the reports now come in about damage and our friends, if we could put the rest of the main hurricane news for central Florida (Kissimmee and WDW) all in one continuous thread (except for very specific subtopics).

So, here it is.

Please use this thread to cover all of the main news of the aftermath of the hurricane in Central Florida/WDW/Orlando/Kissimmee. I do not want to miss news about some of our friends.

BTW, has anyone heard yet from Patrick (in Kissimmee) or Griz (greater Orlando)? Who have we heard from that are regulars here and live in the area?

yensidtlaw1969

Well, Grizz is in a cave right now and although there may be a computer there I don't think that caves are technologically advanced to the point where they have power sources, but thats just me.

prberk

Original Poster
Still no word from some of our friends.

Those of you in Florida, continue to let us know how you are. And what you have seen.

Thanks for info so far.

I just heard on TV about a county administrator in some part of Florida that ordered 60 body bags. I am sure that this is just the beginning for some areas.

Our prayers are with you.

ogryn

The Associated Press
Updated: 7:06 a.m. ET Aug. 14, 2004

PUNTA GORDA, Fla. - The death toll from Hurricane Charley rose early Saturday, when a county official said there had a been "significant loss of life" at a mobile home park and deputies were standing guard over stacks of bodies because the area was inaccessible to ambulances.

Wayne Sallade, Charlotte County's director of emergency management, said early Saturday that there were "a number of fatalities" at the mobile home park, and that there were confirmed deaths in at least three other areas in the county.

The eye of the worst hurricane to hit Florida in a dozen years passed directly over Punta Gorda, a town of 15,000 which took a devastating hit Friday.

Hundreds of people were missing in Charlotte and thousands were left homeless, Sallade said. He compared the devastation with 1992's Hurricane Andrew, which the National Hurricane Center directly blamed for the deaths of 26 people, most in South Florida.

“It's Andrew all over again," he said. "We believe there's significant loss of life." Sallade did not have an estimate on a specific number of fatalities. He said it may take days to get a final toll.

Extensive damage was also reported on exclusive Captiva Island, a narrow strip of sand west of Fort Myers.

:( :(

The Mom

Premium Member
I slept soundly all night, so assume that there were no high winds, and no loss of power at my house. We were fortunate to have been spared; I feel so sorry for those who weren't.

I'll be heading down to our weekend house later; I hope that there are no problems there. By the time it was announced that the storm would pass over it, it was too late to make the round trip to secure it.

BTW, there were some campers who refused to evacuate from a local park. Since it was still voluntary, the officers just asked them for their names, home addresses, and next of kin to make identification/disposition easier. I think that changed their mind.

The Mom

Premium Member
tigsmom, I saw your post. My daughter is up at Dulles this AM, where her group is scheduled to fly to Newark on a 4PM flight (or thereabouts) where they're supposed to catch a flight to Frankfort, then Bangalore. I just hope her 2 day trip doesn't turn into 3 or more days because of the weather. :eek: :(

wannab@dis

tigsmom said:
paulcmartens reports that "MKT seems to be ok and I'm sure speck is fine"...he is going out to take pics..he was out last night too.
since PhotoDave was with mkt at ASSp, then he's probably fine also. It will be interesting to see the pictures coming in later.

pinkrose

tigsmom said:
paulcmartens reports that "MKT seems to be ok and I'm sure speck is fine"...he is going out to take pics..he was out last night too.

EDIT: Rob posted...he & Dave are OK. He is at mone...not too much damage & Dave is at work. He'll have pics up later.

Add them to the list. :)

I asked Rob about Brad (speck) and he said that he's fine.

Perhaps there should be a master list in the main post of everyone we've heard from/about. That would be easier for people to check. :)

wannab@dis

patelaine1953 said:
I don't know the conditions at MCO but Logan is announcing the cancellation of JetBlue and United flights to Orlando today.
saw pictures on tv earlier of MCO and it looked pretty bad. didn't appear to be "major" damage, but a lot of damage. So, the flights for the next couple of days may be sporadic.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
i'm gonna be avoiding WDW at all costs today. I did the drive over here with limited streetlights, I am NOT going back out there. I'll stick closer to home.

pinkrose

mkt said:
i'm gonna be avoiding WDW at all costs today. I did the drive over here with limited streetlights, I am NOT going back out there. I'll stick closer to home.

I don't blame you one bit. I'm sure it's a mess out there and probably not very safe to drive.

Debbie

mkt said:

Rob, glad to see you are Ok. Do you have power where you live? How many people were on the road when you were?

CaptChris

MCO Condition

The Weather Channel just reported that MCO has structural damage. They did not know the specifics as this information is just now starting to filter in.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
several cellphone antennas across central florida are no more, so have patience when trying to call. I know the sprint antenna closest to the south side of WDW is gone... as are some others. I had literally no service there this morning... even trying to roam onto other networks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom