The Little Mermaid Survey

Computer Magic

Hate to see the LM show in DHS go. I really enjoy live shows. However, I don't know how they can keep it based on what we are hearing around that area. Theme wise, I don't know how it can fit.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
I wondering if they're surveying to find out if they should salvage it somehow? Just looking at the layout of the park, it seems inevitable that this will close. Maybe they're considering moving it? Or thinking about opening a new, similar show for DHS 2.0?

Based on its location it almost has to go or be relocated if they are planning a DHS Rebuild. If it does close down DHS is going to be a lonely place down that end.

Polydweller

Disney will periodically survey guests on attractions just to find out their opinion, not necessarily as part of any greater plan.

I was told this by other members here after I asked about a Jungle Cruise survey I took.
Absolutely. Every trip we get surveyed at least twice and only a few seem to have been associated with existing. On year's ago was about One Man's Dream which at the time was just a one off for a few months. They were very interested to see if it had staying power. And it did for several years. But that survey was unusual in appearing to have direct impact. Most are just general fact finding.

Did they ask questions like
Would you go back
Would you recommend it to others
Is it a quality ride
Is it something you make sure not to miss when you visit dhs

Oh yeah, many times and if not those then one's very similar. May or may not mean anything. Disney constantly gathers information from their customers.

Goofyernmost

Based on its location it almost has to go or be relocated if they are planning a DHS Rebuild. If it does close down DHS is going to be a lonely place down that end.
Based on it's proximity to Pixar it could be made into a "Cars" type attraction. That said, based in it's cost of operation, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen. It's fun to watch once or twice, but, then it kind of loses it's drawing power.

MaryJaneP

While it is possible they envision closing VLM, with the closing of the Magic of Animation, they should consider completing the sweep of the Animation courtyard by gutting Disney Junior "Live on Stage". Since it is physically attached to Brown Derby, it may be more problematic, however, hard to imagine keeping one lone attraction open while the others nearby are being torn down.

Goofyernmost

I'm sorry, are we still talking about Voyage of the Little Mermaid?
We had been talking about it, but, I thought we changed over to LMA. If we hadn't then in the words of Rosanne Roseanadana.... Never mind.:)
th

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Has the water screen been permanently disabled, or was it just disabled when I went on my most recent trip (March 2015)? That was one of the more interesting parts of the show for me so to see it gone (at least when I went) was a big bummer. In my opinion, the show just isn't that great. I think part of the problem is that the theater is so small (relatively speaking) so they need to keep the show length down to keep capacity up. I'd love to see a larger theater be part of the revamp plan so they could do a 30-45 minute show along the lines of Nemo the Musical or Aladdin the Musical (at DCA... which is just a FANTASTIC show!)

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
Has the water screen been permanently disabled, or was it just disabled when I went on my most recent trip (March 2015)? That was one of the more interesting parts of the show for me so to see it gone (at least when I went) was a big bummer. In my opinion, the show just isn't that great. I think part of the problem is that the theater is so small (relatively speaking) so they need to keep the show length down to keep capacity up. I'd love to see a larger theater be part of the revamp plan so they could do a 30-45 minute show along the lines of Nemo the Musical or Aladdin the Musical (at DCA... which is just a FANTASTIC show!)

that was one of my comments in the survey, I have been there several times and very disappointed that the water screen was not working, so I think its permanent and the laser ceiling only partially works. So the effects that impressed you are gone. If they fixed what is broken its a great attraction again. Is it my imagination but things appeared to get quicker a few years ago.

Last edited:

fireworksandfairytales

In the Parks
No
I'd be perfectly fine if the show closed down. The Little Mermaid is one of my favorite films, but the show is seriously dated and we already have a ton of other Little Mermaid representation in the parks (the ride at MK, Ariel's segment in Philharmagic, her FoF float, and her & Eric's Fantasmic float). I'd prefer to see them put a Tangled show in (as I've seen discussed elsewhere on these forums), but I think pretty much anything new would be a nice change. :)

OliveMcFly

I've never been fond of VLM, mostly because of my fear of eels :eek:. I'm glad my nieces are older now and don't want to see it anymore. If it closed I wouldn't miss it. She has a ride anyway.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I wish they created this ride:
View attachment 101401

It looks like it utilizes the same ride system (and a lot of the same ride features) as Pooh's Hunny Hunt at Tokyo Disney... I imagine the Heffalump section of Pooh's Hunny Hunt where the cars basically go all over the room interweaving and interacting being directly converted to the room with Sebastian singing Under the Sea... would have/could have been an amazing attraction...

orlando678-

It does, in the book it says that they wanted to make the vehicles trackless so that it could simulate the feeling of being on or underwater. They say that it would feel like you are taken by the current and the waves of the water. They also mentioned that they might use actual water except for the scenes " under the sea". They were also planning on using bubbles and side screens to improve the feeling of being under the water. I really think it is a shame that they never continued these ideas. I dont think that the existing ride is bad, but this ride would probably have fully satisfied the fans.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
It does, in the book it says that they wanted to make the vehicles trackless so that it could simulate the feeling of being on or underwater. They say that it would feel like you are taken by the current and the waves of the water. They also mentioned that they might use actual water except for the scenes " under the sea". They were also planning on using bubbles and side screens to improve the feeling of being under the water. I really think it is a shame that they never continued these ideas. I dont think that the existing ride is bad, but this ride would probably have fully satisfied the fans.

the ride isn't bad but its not Disney great. This ride would have been great as it appears in the book.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom