The Little Mermaid needs bubbles in some of the rooms

RSoxNo1

that ride is also in need of a dire update. But it works on a level that is better than The little mermaid. That much is certain. And that is for a ride that hasn't been updated since park opening.
I disagree. Yes, there are lighting issues with Mermaid and in all likelihood those will be addressed in the upcoming refurb. There is far more to The Little Mermaid than there is to Peter Pan's Flight. The blacklight simplifies the show scenes of Peter Pan's Flight whereas the lighting in Mermaid exposes the ceiling and other flaws.

Complaining that the animatronics in Mermaid are plasticy is ignorant if you don't also point out Peter Pan's Flight or Winnie the Pooh. IMO, Little Mermaid is a substantially better attraction than Peter Pan's Flight. Too many people are clouded by their nostalgia when it comes to Peter Pan's Flight. It is the most overrated attraction in all of Walt Disney World.

Sped2424

I disagree. Yes, there are lighting issues with Mermaid and in all likelihood those will be addressed in the upcoming refurb. There is far more to The Little Mermaid than there is to Peter Pan's Flight. The blacklight simplifies the show scenes of Peter Pan's Flight whereas the lighting in Mermaid exposes the ceiling and other flaws.

Complaining that the animatronics in Mermaid are plasticy is ignorant if you don't also point out Peter Pan's Flight or Winnie the Pooh. IMO, Little Mermaid is a substantially better attraction than Peter Pan's Flight. Too many people are clouded by their nostalgia when it comes to Peter Pan's Flight. It is the most overrated attraction in all of Walt Disney World.
Oh it's ignorant? The difference is one ride was made in 2012 and the other was made in 1971 and hasn't been updated. And say what you want but there is not A SINGLE moment in the little mermaid attraction that compares to flying over london in peter pan. Even if it's just for one brief scene it's such a highlight that it has kept the ride going for this long. I already said the ride is in dire need of an update (volcano tin foil and all) but even so it still works better than mermaid as an attraction. It's an experience while mermaid is a book report of the film.

Jose

Those lighting problems will be fixed once the refurb is done, believe me. There will be one thing left.. the new final... 2 or 3 years away?

Scuttle

Oh it's ignorant? The difference is one ride was made in 2012 and the other was made in 1971 and hasn't been updated. And say what you want but there is not A SINGLE moment in the little mermaid attraction that compares to flying over london in peter pan. Even if it's just for one brief scene it's such a highlight that it has kept the ride going for this long. I already said the ride is in dire need of an update (volcano tin foil and all) but even so it still works better than mermaid as an attraction. It's an experience while mermaid is a book report of the film.
I agree, I enjoy PPF way more than Mermaid. There's something about the ride system in PPF and ET for that matter that just seperate those rides from nearly every other attraction in Orlando. The first 30 seconds of Pan are amazing.

RSoxNo1

They're both book report rides. Peter Pan was just written by a 1st grader while Mermaid was written by a 4th grader.

To the point about flying over London, yes it's a cool unique scene but it is the most primitive set of any dark ride in Walt Disney World. Peter Pan's Flight looks like it was made in 1971 and when compared to an attraction made in 2012 it looks dated, even if the 2012 attraction wasn't state of the art.

Sped2424

They're both book report rides. Peter Pan was just written by a 1st grader while Mermaid was written by a 4th grader.

To the point about flying over London, yes it's a cool unique scene but it is the most primitive set of any dark ride in Walt Disney World. Peter Pan's Flight looks like it was made in 1971 and when compared to an attraction made in 2012 it looks dated, even if the 2012 attraction wasn't state of the art.
That's because peter pan's flight was made in 1971. And it hasn't been updated since due to the crappy management of TDO. But even so it still has a better narrative and overall experience than mermaid. As for the story I think ray bradbury has a good quote about it that he left for Walt Disney 'I will be eternally grateful. Today I flew out of a child's bedroom window in a pirate galleon on my way to the stars.' Peter pan just needs some upgrades and real tlc and it could shine so wonderfully.

RSoxNo1

That's because peter pan's flight was made in 1971. And it hasn't been updated since due to the crappy management of TDO. But even so it still has a better narrative and overall experience than mermaid. As for the story I think ray bradbury has a good quote about it that he left for Walt Disney 'I will be eternally grateful. Today I flew out of a child's bedroom window in a pirate galleon on my way to the stars.' Peter pan just needs some upgrades and real tlc and it could shine so wonderfully.
So basically you're saying that Peter Pan is a better attraction because if it had Little Mermaid's level of animatronics and show scenes it would be better?

ChrisM

How dare you disagree with me... you forget I have the ability to cancel your Fastpass+ reservations.

pE2sy1T.jpg

Sped2424

Hey, I think you haven't seen the Ursula animatronic. SHE'S AMAZING GUYS.
Shes a great animatronic in a very under developed scene. STill doesn't make the mermaid ride better than pan's london scene. NOW if she were giant and attacking us....that would be a different story.

Sped2424

So basically you're saying that Peter Pan is a better attraction because if it had Little Mermaid's level of animatronics and show scenes it would be better?
I am saying that peter pan as it stands is better than the mermaid, however outdated it may be. And with some real help it could rise to be as innovative as it was when it came out. Mermaid underwhelms even with all the blessings of today's tech and imagineering. It's just a weak experience and it is far weaker than peter pan, the sets do nothing to make you believe for a single split second you are anywhere but in front of a show set. Peter pan does make you question perspective when flying over london. I don't know how else to spell it out for you. You're not going to change my opinion and clearly I am not going to change yours. So I think it's best we let it rest.

RSoxNo1

I am saying that peter pan as it stands is better than the mermaid, however outdated it may be. And with some real help it could rise to be as innovative as it was when it came out. Mermaid underwhelms even with all the blessings of today's tech and imagineering. It's just a weak experience and it is far weaker than peter pan, the sets do nothing to make you believe for a single split second you are anywhere but in front of a show set. Peter pan does make you question perspective when flying over london. I don't know how else to spell it out for you. You're not going to change my opinion and clearly I am not going to change yours. So I think it's best we let it rest.
Here is what I will give you: Both rides need updates. Peter Pan's updates require significant animatronic updates as well as other scenery updates. Little Mermaid needs the black light treatment. Once both of those things are complete, it's not unreasonable to say that Peter Pan would be the better attraction, but IMO until the animatronics and show scenes are brought up to Little Mermaid's level it will be the inferior attraction.

Roslyn Vining

Wasn't real impressed the first time we did The Little Mermaid ride.Actually a little boring and not what you would expect for Disney. Not very realistic as some or the attractions are. Maybe they can do something to give this adventure a little more realistic vibes to it. Disappointed with it:(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom