The Land research projects question

PoTCGuy

Original Poster
I really enjoyed the Behind the Seeds tour I took at The Land last year. Does anyone know if Disney publishes papers or other information on any of the research projects they are involved with at The Land pavilion greenhouses? I'd like to read about some of the projects and results they are working on. Are they sponsored by government agencies, corporate sponsors, universities, etc., or does Disney direct the research on their own?

I've done quite a few searches and can't find anything other than a mention that they are involved in research. I also found the site where they list openings for intern positions to help do the work, but no specifics.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

sprocketfish

I found a couple of papers from presumably The Land research...

Spectral quality affects disease development of three pathogens on hydroponically grown plants.
[SIZE=-1]HortScience. 1997 Feb;32(1):96-100.
PMID: 11540250 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE][/SIZE]

Spectral quality affects disease development of three pathogens on hydroponically grown plants.
[SIZE=-1]HortScience. 1997 Feb;32(1):96-100.
PMID: 11540250 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE][/SIZE]

Here are some papers from the animal work at AK....

Standing sedation in African elephants (Loxodonta africana) using detomidine-butorphanol combinations.
[SIZE=-1]J Zoo Wildl Med. 2005 Jun;36(2):250-6.
PMID: 17323566 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

[/SIZE]Clostridium septicum myositis in a western lowland gorilla (Gorilla gorilla gorilla).
[SIZE=-1]J Zoo Wildl Med. 2005 Sep;36(3):509-11.
PMID: 17312773 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

[/SIZE]Hematologic and plasma biochemical changes associated with fenbendazole administration in Hermann's tortoises (testudo hermanni).
[SIZE=-1]J Zoo Wildl Med. 2005 Dec;36(4):661-72.
PMID: 17312724 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

FYI: I just used pubmed.gov to do a simple journal search... I'm not sure if you are familiar with scientific journals, but this a pretty good place to start looking if you are looking for that kind of thing...
[/SIZE]

Captain Hank

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I just happened across it. :wave:

Unfortunately, The Land is not as engaged in research as it once was. There is still research going on, but mostly variety trials of what can grow the best in a greenhouse in central Florida. Some notable past research projects included work with simulations of Lunar and Martian soils. The Land also worked with robotic monitoring of crops for a short time. Another notable project involved the introduction of tiny (smaller than mosquitoes) stingless wasps to help control Leafminers (tiny pest insects that burrow through leaves). This is the project that is highlighted during the Integrated Pest Management portion of Behind the Seeds. These wasps have been deployed all over Walt Disney World property.

Currently, the two research areas of interest are Aquaponics and some Biotechnology. One member of The Land's staff has done quite a bit of research with Aquaponic systems (using the same water to raise fish and fertilize plants). Currently, this method is alluded to in the narration in the Aquacell, though it may be showcased further.

The Land also has two researchers on-site from the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Currently, they're using the on-stage biotechnology lab and several of the backstage greenhouses to develop a dwarf pear tree. Normally, pear trees are about 20 feet tall, which makes them difficult and somewhat unsafe to harvest. The goal is to create a production-quality pear tree that is only 6 feet tall and resistant to Fire Blight, a fungal disease. Progress has been favorable, but slow.

If you have any further questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom