The Land evacuated 10/31!

muteki

We were eating at Garden Grill when it happened. Cleared the whole building. Based on what I saw/smelled, it looked like an electrical issue with one of the escalators. It had a strong smell as we left and they kept it roped off for the rest of the night while we were there.

wiigirl

Why are those escalators seemingly always broken?

I dunno, but it does seem to happen alot.
75.gif

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Considering the number of people they carry per day, I am surprised they still work at all.

Exactly. I can only imagine the load on the motors/gears when every step has people loaded on it. My school has escalators that are ALWAYS done... Good thing stairs do not scare me.

TalkingHead

Why are those escalators seemingly always broken?

What's more remarkable is they were always breaking down when I worked there circa 2005 (pre-Soarin')-- so that's at least 7 years they've been unreliable and continue to be unreliable.

Think about that.

Is it any wonder they can't get certain effects working?

Alektronic

What's more remarkable is they were always breaking down when I worked there circa 2005 (pre-Soarin')-- so that's at least 7 years they've been unreliable and continue to be unreliable.

Think about that.

Is it any wonder they can't get certain effects working?

That is something you can't blame on maintenance, all escalators and elevators are outsourced to Otis elevators. So if one breaks, it may get fixed days later because they are located off property.

TalkingHead

That is something you can't blame on maintenance, all escalators and elevators are outsourced to Otis elevators. So if one breaks, it may get fixed days later because they are located off property.

Has it always been that way? I could imagine that work having always been outsourced to Otis.

But it's still an excuse for poor maintenance that, judging from this thread, a lot of people have noticed.

If the escalator is that temperamental and has been for close to a decade, then, uh, why not replace it?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Maybe they should consider a TTA People Mover conveyer belt?? I wonder what that would be like if you had too much to drink??
If I am not mistaken a moving walkway has a lower angle than an escalator. Off the top of my head, most escalators go up at around 30-35 degrees where as a moving walkway goes up at around 6-12 degrees. That results in the moving walkway needing at least 3-4 times the horizontal distance of an escalator. The moving walkways are great if you have the room such as on POTC and SM, but when conditions are tight like at the Land you have to go with an escalator.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom