The iPad at Disney World

nroon

I've had an iPhone since 2007, and had it on my last trip to Disney World in 2007. There was no such thing as an App Store back then, so no WDWMagic app or any other app for that matter. Having that phone was awesome though, so much so, that my Mom and brother purchased one upon returning from the trip.

Fast forward to 2011 and my next trip to Disney. My wife and I have a pair of 4S's for video/photo, apps, etc. But we also have an iPad. We know a family that traveled with one this past April and loved having it at Disney.

They were playing board games while waiting in line, looking at big images of the park maps, and all sorts of other stuff.

I think it's rather large, and really am not too sure what you do with it when you get on a ride to keep it safe.

Any thoughts on traveling with an iPad in the parks?

MissM

At the Flower and Garden Festival this year I saw a woman in the butterfly garden taking pics with her iPad. I have to admit, it looked more then a little silly. :lol:

Upvote 0

Unomas

I'd never take my iPad into the parks. Just don't see any reason to. The camera on it is crap and not meant for stills in the first place.

Upvote 0

mrsdanalind

I've had an iPhone since 2007, and had it on my last trip to Disney World in 2007. There was no such thing as an App Store back then, so no WDWMagic app or any other app for that matter. Having that phone was awesome though, so much so, that my Mom and brother purchased one upon returning from the trip.

Fast forward to 2011 and my next trip to Disney. My wife and I have a pair of 4S's for video/photo, apps, etc. But we also have an iPad. We know a family that traveled with one this past April and loved having it at Disney.

They were playing board games while waiting in line, looking at big images of the park maps, and all sorts of other stuff.

I think it's rather large, and really am not too sure what you do with it when you get on a ride to keep it safe."
Any thoughts on traveling with an iPad in the parks?

I don't have an IPad,but my daughter has an IPhone and has used it at the parks, I think that it's a great idea, because now with the new apps she can keep us updated on rides and such.. I personally wouldn't take a computer to the park, to much to worry about as well as too much to carry.

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

I-Pad at WDW.

Well my friend has just returned from two weeks at WDW.He took his i-pad on vacation as he was staying at POFQ.He never took it to the parks,yeh,the camera is not great,even with the new version,i-pad 2,he used it for maps and references of restaurants etc.:hammer:

Upvote 0

mets7

Both of our daughters have an Ipod touch and we will be taking those into the parks on our next trip. If for nothing else to occupy us while in line. Hopefully by then the wife and I will both have Iphones for other useful app items in the parks.

Upvote 0

BrittanyRose428

Its like a different language, I'm so technology impaired lol. :ROFLOL: I didn't have an ipad to keep me occupied waiting in line when I was 5 years old, so I'd hope I'll be fine now XD

Upvote 0

RonAnnArbor

I have an iPhone and an iPad and a Macbook Air....I almost never take the laptop with me anywhere anymore....

I always take my iPad to WDW but never take it to the parks. The apps they are talking about are all available on your iPhone -- they are the same on the ipad, nothing different....

Your iPhone 4S takes much much better photos than the iPad, so you won't need it for that. Your iPhone runs games, so you won't need it for that. And your iPhone aready has a data plan so you can use the phone or internet. Incidently -- you will find that outside the deluxe resorts, there is no WiFi that is publicly assessable anywhere at the parks themselves, so unless you have a 3G data plan for you iPad, it will be worthless.

Leave the iPad in the resort hotel room.

Upvote 0

BenS

I have an iPad and wouldn't take it to the parks. Not so much out of fear that it would break as much as much as I like to go light. All I bring is my wallet, cell phone, and camera.

If you already bring a backpack (or some other case large enough for it) and you get a good case I don't think you'd have to worry about it getting broken.

If you don't have a 3G iPad make sure to download all the data you want in advance, since they don't have WiFi in the parks. Though since you have a 4S you can turn on mobile hotspot to connect your phone's internet connection to the iPad. (Though this can hurt the iPhone's battery and costs extra, $20 to $30 depending on your phone carrier)

I brought my iPad back in 2010 and pretty much just used it on the plane (love in-flight WiFi). WDW is the one place I just don't have time for the Internet. :D

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I don't see the need to bring an ipad into the parks...you can access the internet and any necessary apps you would want to use on your iphone. As for playing games while standing in line...that's what Angry Birds is for (and you can do that on your iphone, too!)!!

Upvote 0

righttrack

My friend had her iPad at WDW. With the smartcover and tucked in her bag. It was fine, but really she did not use it for much more than the occasional video or picture. Had she had an iPhone or an Android, she probably would have just taken that.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

I've had to use my phone to check work email and voice mail while in the parks. But if the time ever comes that I feel compelled to bring an actual computer, even "just" a tablet, it may be time to skip a year or two, let things become fresh again.

Upvote 0

AlishaMisha

There is a possibility I may bring my Kindle Fire into the parks for those extra long lines as my phone isn't a smartphone. It's small enough and light enough to fit in my bag. But an iPad is a little too big and heavy to seem worth it. I say just stick to the iphone. Or you can try out the iPad for a day and see how it goes for you. But honestly if I saw an iPad in use in the parks I would think it would look as out of place as someone bringing a grill in. But that is just me.

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I've had to use my phone to check work email and voice mail while in the parks. But if the time ever comes that I feel compelled to bring an actual computer, even "just" a tablet, it may be time to skip a year or two, let things become fresh again.

I agree...I get so tired of seeing people let the world pass them by because they have there nose stuck in their phone.

I see people literally walk into other people because they do not watch what is happening in the here and now.

Upvote 0

CatsMeow

Honestly, I can't imagine bringing my iPad to the parks. I would be concerned about it's security and the added (albeit not much, but after a whole day carrying it....) extra weight. I did take it on our recent trip, but only used it at the airport and at our resort.

The iPhone has a lot of park apps. They are great for figuring out where to eat that is close to your location, how long the lines are, park maps, etc. I really think that is all you need. And it has a camera too. :).

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom