The Integration of Fox into the Disney Corporate Family: Parks, Movies, IPs, Studios

Indy_UK

I thought Star was a Solid brand name, eventually in 2024 when Comcast part from Hulu that it will also be re-branded to Star but all of this is odd.

Apparently it affects UK but i don't see how. When i browse the Chanel Lineup on SKY here i still see Fox channel. I assume that will be re-branded to Star too?

djlaosc

In the UK, our Star Channel are Sky 704, 705 and 717 - they are trying to get people to get away of thinking of "Star" as International/Foreign Language brand, and start thinking of it as a General Entertainment brand - it would not surprise me to see "FOX" becoming Star, but there has been no word of that as of yet as far as I am aware.

People who watched the UK Star and went onto Disney+, or even signed up to Disney+ expecting to see the shows from those channels would be disappointed. People who were aware of the Star Channels and saw that Star was being added to Disney+ may think that it would not interest them if it was going to show shows from those channels;

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

I will post this here since I know some people care about the Hulk movie rights with Universal. If this is too OT let me know and I'll ask a mod to remove the post.

I was searching for Fox's agreement with Universal on theme park rights for the Simpsons and may have bumped into the Marvel Paramount contract, which according to Marvel is pretty much the same terms as the Marvel Universal contract. And as usually happens with me when I find such things I go down the rabbit hole lol. I haven't read it like I did the Spider-Man one, but I can tell you that Marvel got MUCH smarter than they were in the 90s. It also confirms what we had figured out because of those ABC planned Hulk TV shows. The only rights that Marvel does not have is the distribution rights to the movies.

It seems to me that the distribution rights that Universal has on Hulk has an expiration date of 15 years + 3 pay TV windows. We don't know TIH pay tv window contracts, so impossible to say. I think the expiration would be 2023 or at the latest 2025 as per the Distribution terms.

It would also help explain why Disney hasn't tried to acquire those rights since they weren't as imperative to own to kick off the MCU as the Paramount contract was. Marvel and Paramount amended the 2005 contract in 2008 which meant they had the rights to Avengers, Iron Man, Thor, Cap and sequels. Disney HAD to acquire those from Paramount. Hulk could wait, especially if there's an expiration date on the distribution rights.

Paramount extends deal with Marvel

The other films included in the newly extended Paramount pact are “Thor” in 2010, “Captain America” in 2011, “The Avengers,” also in 2011, and “Iron Man 3,” which does not yet have a release date.

Anyways, be warned. This may be a confusing post. I have spent the past few hours going down this rabbit hole. I may be wrong. Hell I must likely am, so anyone can check the links here and try to figure it out.

https://sec.report/Document/0001116679-06-002363/

Studio Distribution Agreement” means (i) the Paramount Agreement, (ii) the Universal Hulk Agreement (with respect to Distribution Rights related to the Marvel character known as “The Hulk” only)

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/933730/000111667907000580/m10k.htm

MVL Productions LLC’s studio distribution agreement with Paramount requires Paramount, at the request of MVL Productions LLC, to distribute up to ten films financed and produced under the film facility. Paramount is required to release each film during one of two prime release periods each year: the Spring/Summer and Fall/Holiday seasons. Under the studio distribution agreement, Paramount has guaranteed MVL Productions LLC wide distribution outside of the Reserved Territories with commensurate advertising and marketing efforts for each film. Included in Paramount’s distribution rights are exclusive theatrical and non-theatrical (e.g., exhibition on airplanes, schools and military installations), home video, pay television and international television distribution rights. Excluded are all distribution rights with respect to the Reserved Territories and free television distribution in the United States. As compensation for its services under the studio distribution agreement, Paramount is permitted to recoup its distribution costs (including print and advertising costs) and expenses for each film from the gross receipts of that film and to receive a distribution fee before we receive our share of gross receipts.

Universal Studios has agreed to distribute Marvel’s film The Incredible Hulk and sequels on essentially the same terms as those on which Paramount has agreed to distribute the other films financed and produced under the film facility.

This is the amended Studio Distribution Agreement mentioned above.
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/933730/000111667905002681/ex10-1.htm

4. Distribution Rights: Paramount shall have the following rights with respect to each Committed Picture, each Additional Committed Picture, if applicable, each Qualifying Sequel and each Optional Picture for which Marvel has delivered notice to Paramount pursuant to Section 2.B, in the Territory (collectively the “Paramount Distribution Rights”) during the Distribution Term:

A.The exclusive Theatrical Distribution Rights;

B.The exclusive Non-Theatrical Distribution Rights;

6. Distribution Term: Paramount shall have the right to exercise its Paramount Distribution Rights with respect to each Picture for an initial period of 15 years commencing on the initial Theatrical Exhibition of such Picture (the “Initial Distribution Term”); subject to extension for United States pay television only, until the expiration of the third window under Paramount’s U.S. Pay Television output deal, if such third window has not been completed as of the expiration of the Initial Distribution Term provided that each U.S. Pay Television Exhibition window shall be no longer than five (5) years; subject to extension with respect to all rights other than U.S. Pay Television for an additional two (2) years from the end of the Initial Distribution Term if at the end of the Initial Distribution Term Paramount has not recouped its Distribution Costs and Expenses with respect to such Picture (the “Distribution Term”).

Reserved Rights: The following rights with respect to each Picture:
i. All rights of any kind and nature now known or hereafter created or conceived in the Reserved Territories;

ii. Free Television Distribution Rights in the United States and Canada, its territories and possessions. Marvel agrees that its exercise of its Free Television Distribution rights shall be subject to customary holdbacks in favor of Paramount’s granted television rights and Paramount’s exercise of its licensed rights is subject to customary holdbacks in favor of the Reserved Rights.

B.
All rights not expressly granted to Paramount, including without limitation, the following rights: merchandising, soundtrack, videogame, publishing (other than free excerpts for marketing purposes), music publishing, production of derivative works and other audio-visual works based on the Marvel Characters and/or Marvel Titles, including without limitation, television and direct-to-video motion pictures, and all rights in and to the Marvel Characters, Marvel Titles and the Marvel Universe. The foregoing shall not restrict Paramount from using the soundtrack to the Picture in timed synchronization to the visual images of the Picture in connection with the exercise by Paramount of its Paramount Distribution Rights provided such use is not separately charged to an end-user.

https://sec.report/Document/0001116679-06-000579/

Hulk was, as we all know was a Universal project and it’s been in development for quite a while. Like all our movies, all our contracts, movies have to meet specific release dates. And if principal photography does not reach a certain date, then we get our properties back the same thing as Iron Man with New Line.

So, as time was - time and development was taking its course, we entered into discussions with Universal. There was a realization that it will be quite difficult for them to make this principal photography date and gave Marvel an opportunity to recoup our rights. In return, Universal will be the distributor for Hulk but will do it on our terms which will give us all rights, all licensing, all revenues and advantageous position on one of our prime properties.

We are very aggressive in development on Hulk and actually its the same situation with Iron Man that we got back from New Line; again, they couldn’t make the principal photography date and gave us an opportunity to recoup and regroup and this is also in development.

Well, Hulk will be distributed by Universal based on our agreement with them. And we will - when the time comes, we’ll decide how we want to fund the Hulk.

Iron Man is not going to be distributed by New Line. It’s up to us where we want to place it. It could end up in Paramount, it could end up somewhere else. And again, we will - at the appropriate time, we’ll - we are developing the project ourselves under the Marvel banner. And when it comes to starting production, we will make a decision if we want to use either the fund or alternate financing these marquee properties. And we feel comfortable that we’ll find the funding to put it forth.

Indy_UK

Ah ok. Yeah the penny has dropped now. So I wasn’t aware of the current Star Channels on Sky.

wouldnt Disney be easier to just rename them to Star Bollywood or Star India Channel (at fear or of being culturally naive here)

Otherwise yeah I kind get the name change because Star needs to become the main name for their general entertainment. 20th Century Pictures, TV, FX, ABC, Touchstone is a lot of brands and they need to be be under an umbrella which make sense worldwide going forward.

Guarantee Hulu will eventually become star and probably integrated into Disney+ too cos that’s another 40-60 million subscribers they want to keep but not doing anything with until Comcast are long gone

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Funny the article didn't mention that Foster is also DOA.

Anyhoo, licensing deals are still winding down before all of Blue Sky winds up on Disney+...

Blue Sky films on D+
  • Anastasia (she's even in the 'Princesses' section!)
  • The Simpsons Movie
  • Dr. Seuss Horton Hears a Who
  • Epic
  • The Peanuts Movie
  • Ferdinand (and also the Disney short by the same name)
  • Ice Age 5: Collision Course
  • Ice Age: The Great Egg Escape (Short)

HBO/Max
  • Robots
  • Spies in Disguise
  • Ice Age 4: Continental Drift

Freeform
  • Rio 2

Starz
  • Ice Age 1
  • Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs

Available only to Rent/Buy for now on several streaming services:
  • Titan A.E.
  • Rio
  • Ice Age 2: The Meltdown
  • Ice Age: A Mammoth Christmas (Short)
  • Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaur

Robbiem

I’m surprised Disney are just closing the studio full stop. I thought they would have kept the existing IP and sold the studio or maybe transitioned it to making content for Disney plus.

Slpy3270

I’m surprised Disney are just closing the studio full stop. I thought they would have kept the existing IP and sold the studio or maybe transitioned it to making content for Disney plus.
No one would buy it, though. All the other Hollywood studios have dedicated animation departments and there is almost no major animation presence in the east coast aside from Blue Sky.

Darkprime

The Blue Sky’s library and IP will remain part of Disney, and I hear there are no plans for another major studio to absorb Blue Sky’s employees and operations. A series based on Blue Sky’s Ice Age characters is already in the works for Disney+. Through five movies, the Ice Age series grossed $3.2 billion at the global box office.

I'm guessing they will transfer the IP to Pixar or Walt Disney Animation Studios.

Slpy3270

I'm guessing they will transfer the IP to Pixar or Walt Disney Animation Studios.
The IP is legally with 20th Century, so I assume either studio (and Disney TVA for TV animation) will do works with the IP but will still be branded/co-branded with 20th.

Darkprime

The IP is legally with 20th Century, so I assume either studio (and Disney TVA for TV animation) will do works with the IP but will still be branded/co-branded with 20th.

But Disney owns Fox now so its technically Disney IP isn't it? They can do whatever they want with it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Funny the article didn't mention that Foster is also DOA.

Anyhoo, licensing deals are still winding down before all of Blue Sky winds up on Disney+...

Blue Sky films on D+
  • Anastasia (she's even in the 'Princesses' section!)
  • The Simpsons Movie
  • Dr. Seuss Horton Hears a Who
  • Epic
  • The Peanuts Movie
  • Ferdinand (and also the Disney short by the same name)
  • Ice Age 5: Collision Course
  • Ice Age: The Great Egg Escape (Short)

HBO/Max
  • Robots
  • Spies in Disguise
  • Ice Age 4: Continental Drift

Freeform
  • Rio 2

Starz
  • Ice Age 1
  • Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs

Available only to Rent/Buy for now on several streaming services:
  • Titan A.E.
  • Rio
  • Ice Age 2: The Meltdown
  • Ice Age: A Mammoth Christmas (Short)
  • Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaur
Freeform is owned by Disney, so really from a license perspective nothing preventing Disney from also placing Rio2 on D+.

I suspect they want to get Rio and Rio2 both on at the same time.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Freeform is owned by Disney, so really from a license perspective nothing preventing Disney from also placing Rio2 on D+.

I suspect they want to get Rio and Rio2 both on at the same time.
Except for paying big bucks to claw back licensing for their MCU films, Disney has been very patient waiting for other licenses to elapse. Every month there are 'new' titles coming to D+ from their own catalogue which had been appearing on other streamers/renters. If a Rio or Ice Age series is coming to D+, it won't be for two years. By then, just about all other licenses will have elapsed.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Except for paying big bucks to claw back licensing for their MCU films, Disney has been very patient waiting for other licenses to elapse. Every month there are 'new' titles coming to D+ from their own catalogue which had been appearing on other streamers/renters. If a Rio or Ice Age series is coming to D+, it won't be for two years. By then, just about all other licenses will have elapsed.
True, Disney is in no rush. They are playing the long game with D+.

My point is that its likely not a licensing agreement tying up Rio2, since the agreement is with a wholly owned subsidiary of Disney themselves. Its likely a business decision rather than licensing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom