The Integration of Fox into the Disney Corporate Family: Parks, Movies, IPs, Studios

Darkprime

Aaaanndd it's official: The "Fox" name is being dropped from 20th Century Fox Television and Fox 21, effective immediately.

20th Century Fox Television is becoming 20th Television (the former name of the syndication unit, which Disney has effectively snapped up), and Fox 21 is relaunching under the old Touchstone Television banner.

ABC Studios and ABC Signature will be merged under simply ABC Signature.

Kinda reaffirms what many of us suspected. They didn't buy Fox for the name they brought it for the content. The Fox brand/name has been tainted in the last few years and Disney would rather not be associated with it which is fair enough.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Kinda reaffirms what many of us suspected. They didn't buy Fox for the name they brought it for the content. The Fox brand/name has been tainted in the last few years and Disney would rather not be associated with it which is fair enough.
Wasn't it also part of the actually agreement in order to differentiate it from "New Fox"?

Slpy3270

Wasn't it also part of the actually agreement in order to differentiate it from "New Fox"?

I'm guessing it was for the TV studios. The agreement did say Disney had the right to use the "Twentieth Century Fox" name under license, but I assume that was for films only.

For the record, the studio is still legally known as Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm guessing it was for the TV studios. The agreement did say Disney had the right to use the "Twentieth Century Fox" name under license, but I assume that was for films only.

For the record, the studio is still legally known as Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation.
Well anyways we knew is was going to happen. Its now happened, so we can say goodbye Fox Studios and all its various similar named entities.

Slpy3270

Well anyways we knew is was going to happen. Its now happened, so we can say goodbye Fox Studios and all its various similar named entities.

Tellingly, a lot of the companies Disney bought that are branded legally under "21st Century Fox" or "Fox" have been renamed to "TFCF" since around March, as if to hide their (former) association with Fox.

It surprised me that they aren't renaming them under ABC like they did with the Fox Family and Fox Kids affiliated companies.

J4546

fox news and fox business was spun off into its own thing before it sold. and i think disney sold fox sports back to that entity for like 10 billion once disney aquired the rest of fox.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Tellingly, a lot of the companies Disney bought that are branded legally under "21st Century Fox" or "Fox" have been renamed to "TFCF" since around March, as if to hide their (former) association with Fox.

It surprised me that they aren't renaming them under ABC like they did with the Fox Family and Fox Kids affiliated companies.
Maybe some of it comes down to existing contracts. Or maybe down to content that is being created for other networks. Who knows.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Disney gettin' big...

media-universe.png

BrianLo

Disney gettin' big...

media-universe.png

Nice-chart. It certainly does help visualize that theoretically a big five tech giant could gobble up whatever they wanted. Even Disney.

The ship has somewhat sailed, but I do think Nintendo was the one logical company Disney should have thought about in lieu of Fox. Certainly a much better fit than Twitter, goodness knows why Iger considered that.

It really would have insulated the company a heck of a lot better during the Pandemic. Such is hindsight - plus their competitor snatched up rights.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Nice-chart. It certainly does help visualize that theoretically a big five tech giant could gobble up whatever they wanted. Even Disney.

The ship has somewhat sailed, but I do think Nintendo was the one logical company Disney should have thought about in lieu of Fox. Certainly a much better fit than Twitter, goodness knows why Iger considered that.

It really would have insulated the company a heck of a lot better during the Pandemic. Such is hindsight - plus their competitor snatched up rights.
I kind of wonder if Disney would be willing to acquire a music streaming company like as iHeart or Spotify, or even Sirius.

Twilight_Roxas

About Nintendo Disney already said that they don’t make video games anymore after shutting their video game division, and letting other video game companies use their IPs in video games like Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 was the first Marvel game published by Nintendo.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
About Nintendo Disney already said that they don’t make video games anymore after shutting their video game division, and letting other video game companies use their IPs in video games like Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 was the first Marvel game published by Nintendo.
Licensing out content was always something they did even when they were producing their own games.

Also I suspect Disney will get back into the gaming market at some point in the future, whether its Chapek or some other future CEO. Its too big of a market not to. The only question will be if its going to be through a major acquisition or not.

Slpy3270

Little late to the party but it looks like Disney is rapidly scrubbing whatever's left of the "Fox" name from their acquired businesses as of last week. Went to the New York, Delaware and California business registries and discovered lots of 21CF businesses formerly bearing the "Fox" name is now under the not-so-subtle "TFCF" initials (i.e. Fox Entertainment Group LLC is now TFCF Entertainment Group LLC), with the rest likely to be re-branded by the end of this month.

Most of the companies still bearing the "Fox" name now are those that Fox kept.

djlaosc

Iron Fist/Luke Cage/Heroes For Hire/Daughters of the Dragon will now be available for use in less than a year, with Daredevil available in just over 13 months...

Iron Fist/Luke Cage/Heroes For Hire/Daughters of the Dragon are now available for Disney to use, Daredevil in just over 2 months, and The Punisher/Jessica Jones in around 5 months if the 2 years since cancellation is correct.

Slpy3270

Looks like Disney is really pushing the "Star" brand as the de-facto successor to Fox as the Latin American Fox channels are to be re-branded as Star beginning next year.

That's also the year the license to continue using the "Fox" name on 21CF's international assets expires, which means the European, African and Asian networks not already under the Star name could be next to be re-branded.

J4546

makes sense. I imagine hulu will be branded to star sooner than later. And with star being in 100s of countries and with Star and HotStar having more subscribers than netflix/amazon/hbo/hulu/disney+/peacock/apple/comcast combined, Im sure that Disney will be investing heavily into the brand as a whole. Now Disney has a major hub for streaming and will be increasing its Disney presence around the world esp in India. I would bet that if/when disney builds a new park, it would be in india.

Slpy3270

makes sense. I imagine hulu will be branded to star sooner than later. And with star being in 100s of countries and with Star and HotStar having more subscribers than netflix/amazon/hbo/hulu/disney+/peacock/apple/comcast combined, Im sure that Disney will be investing heavily into the brand as a whole. Now Disney has a major hub for streaming and will be increasing its Disney presence around the world esp in India. I would bet that if/when disney builds a new park, it would be in india.
Nobody will be building any theme parks for at least the next decade.

djlaosc

Iron Fist/Luke Cage/Heroes For Hire/Daughters of the Dragon are now available for Disney to use, Daredevil in just over 2 months, and The Punisher/Jessica Jones in around 5 months if the 2 years since cancellation is correct.

Daredevil would now be available for Disney to use if the 2 years since cancellation is correct.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom