The Integration of Fox into the Disney Corporate Family: Parks, Movies, IPs, Studios

Twilight_Roxas

I hope this lowers Disney’s monopoly because some worried that the merger would be overturned despite selling the assets that were the conditions of the approvals.

Tank Man

Here's a catch-all thread for how the Disney - Fox merger is going and its implications.

First thing to note is that Iger has said several times he's keeping all of the Fox studios and expects them to keep producing original content for their TV/Cable channels and for D+/Hulu. He's mentioned most of them by name, though, the one exception he hasn't mentioned by name is Blue Sky.

Merger officially takes place on March 20, 2019.

Box Office for 2019 Discussion:

The big merger watch thread:
Disney announced that Fox classics (NatM, HA, CbtD and DoaWK) will be getting reimagined for Disney+

Indy_UK

Was Garfield a Fox IP? If so, looks like Disney has sold that off to Nickelodeon.
https://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2019/08/garfield-is-coming-back-to-television/

I totally get Disney rebooting Home Alone, Cheaper by the Dozen etc for Disney+ as they are all well suited for a TV series but if Disney are pulling these and putting them under the Disney banner, are they only leaving adult IP under the Fox label?

Just feels like Disney are stripping all the FOX IP away and just leaving the back catalogue and movie/to production studios which they acquired.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Was Garfield a Fox IP? If so, looks like Disney has sold that off to Nickelodeon.
https://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2019/08/garfield-is-coming-back-to-television/

I totally get Disney rebooting Home Alone, Cheaper by the Dozen etc for Disney+ as they are all well suited for a TV series but if Disney are pulling these and putting them under the Disney banner, are they only leaving adult IP under the Fox label?

Just feels like Disney are stripping all the FOX IP away and just leaving the back catalogue and movie/to production studios which they acquired.

It was said at the D+ Day that the family-friendly Fox IPs would be heading to D+. It seems that some of them will do so as reboots.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

Seems like the worry about Disney selling Blue Sky was exaggerated. Disney is putting top talent in the studio to turn it around.

Smart move I say. Keep the budget to 100MM or so (or below) with some 50% + of their output being straight to Disney+. Blue Sky will do what DisneyToon was intended to do.

Disney Installs Top Animation Execs at Fox's Blue Sky
Disney Shuffles Key Animation Executives, Solidifies Blue Sky Leadership
Disney Discipline Hits Former Fox Animation Division Blue Sky Studios

Darkprime

Sounds like Disney are having trouble integrating Fox tbh. Personalities and cultures clashing. That JoJo Rabbit story is both hilarious and concerning. Part of the reason they bought Fox was to put more mature films under that brand/banner. I wonder what will happen If Disney cant bring Fox in line? Will it go the way of Mirrormax? Disney will move the Fox IP's it wants to reboot and keep in house and then sell of what remains of the studio for cheap just to get rid of it.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Disney should look to why half of their Disney Studios films also financially flop in the theatrical window...

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Do they flop as much as the Fox films? (Not being snarky, genuinely curious and know you make some great charts around this stuff...)

This is what is called in show biz as "not good"...

Disney Studios roughly breaks even, but only because of a small number of blockbusters. The majority flop (or break roughly even) in the theatrical run...

It Is What It Is

I think in decades past, the religious right (Jerry Falwell types) were much more vocal and got the airtime to talk against what people watched, especially mainstream R rated film's. I can see why Disney would want to take a step back from the R then.

Nowadays, I don't think people really care about the R rating other than to let their kids know what isn't appropriate to see. If Disney keeps the Disney brand to G and PG and lets Fox get the R, I will be surprised if anyone raises a fuss that gets any traction. I suppose it was a good move on Universal's part to pull The Hunt or that would have gotten traction. For Disney, these days are all about weathering the Bernie Sanders and like tirades on corporate profit and pay compared to what the average cast member makes.

seascape

This is what is called in show biz as "not good"...

View attachment 398356

Disney Studios roughly breaks even, but only because of a small number of blockbusters. The majority flop (or break roughly even) in the theatrical run...

View attachment 398357
You are close on your numbers but the percetage of the box office Disney now gets close to 60%. Boxoffice mojo says they use a 55% average for all studios.

Now, if a Disney movie breaks even on its theatrical run, Disney does very well. Disney has merchandise sales and DVDs, Streaming and television as additions sources of income. And they continue to bring in money for years. That is their big advantage over Netflix. But you are right Disney movies do not do as well in their theatrical run as Marvel movies do. An interesting fact is Fantasia did not become profitable until around 1970. The money to finally reach profitability came from schools buying and showing filmstrip versions. I do however want Disney to do a much better job of controlling costs. They spend too much making movies and that means all Divisions.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
You are close on your numbers but the percetage of the box office Disney now gets close to 60%. Boxoffice mojo says they use a 55% average for all studios.

Now, if a Disney movie breaks even on its theatrical run, Disney does very well. Disney has merchandise sales and DVDs, Streaming and television as additions sources of income. And they continue to bring in money for years. That is their big advantage over Netflix. But you are right Disney movies do not do as well in their theatrical run as Marvel movies do. An interesting fact is Fantasia did not become profitable until around 1970. The money to finally reach profitability came from schools buying and showing filmstrip versions. I do however want Disney to do a much better job of controlling costs. They spend too much making movies and that means all Divisions.

I've checked with several sources for the percentage. While domestically Disney does 60% (or demand even more for the big ones), internationally, studios get much less than 50%. That is why Boxoffice Mojo doesn't give the whole 60%. Other sources average it out to 50% (which is what Deadline does). The percentage is going to fluctuate with how much of the take is international v. domestic. Also, the metric for estimating marketing can fluctuate depending how much a studio wants to push the movie to the public. All in all, it's just a ballpark figure with about a 10-20% spread. The important thing is using the same metric for all films and that gives one a comparison.

Fantasia: I thought Fantasia made up it's loss with later theatrical re-releases (much like how Gone With the Wind is the number one BO movie based on inflation).

And Disney definitely needs to control budget costs. Billion dollar movies winding up with a loss (On Stranger Tides).

seascape

I've checked with several sources for the percentage. While domestically Disney does 60% (or demand even more for the big ones), internationally, studios get much less than 50%. That is why Boxoffice Mojo doesn't give the whole 60%. Other sources average it out to 50% (which is what Deadline does). The percentage is going to fluctuate with how much of the take is international v. domestic. Also, the metric for estimating marketing can fluctuate depending how much a studio wants to push the movie to the public. All in all, it's just a ballpark figure with about a 10-20% spread. The important thing is using the same metric for all films and that gives one a comparison.

Fantasia: I thought Fantasia made up it's loss with later theatrical re-releases (much like how Gone With the Wind is the number one BO movie based on inflation).

And Disney definitely needs to control budget costs. Billion dollar movies winding up with a loss (On Stranger Tides).
China is the worst on the international percetages. Disney and other studios can only take 25% out of the country. That is why Disney snd Universal are building parks and also filming in China. That allows them to get bit more than the 25% but it has to stay in China. At least its a win win for both companies. However we must always take Hollywood accounting into account. The overhead and other charges the Studios charge for special effects, costumes and other items is crazy. There is a built in profit on every penny spend on production and distribution. Then on advertising Disney and Universal pay their own tv networks for the commercials and even run news stories to promote their films.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom