The Integration of Fox into the Disney Corporate Family: Parks, Movies, IPs, Studios

Quinnmac000

So Hulu will have Ghost Rider, Helstrom and Runaways... still waiting for them to pick up the Netflix shows - if they were going to do it, they could almost have new Marvel Content rolling out every 2-3 months... would give them 8 titles (9 if they were to do another series of The Defenders)...

Netflix threatened to sue if Disney tried to pick them up before the two years were up.

djlaosc

Netflix threatened to sue if Disney tried to pick them up before the two years were up.

Having not seen the actual contract, I thought that when it was originally talked about, it was said along the lines of "the character cannot be used on screen for two years following cancellation", not that they couldn't sign a contact before then.

If so, then, using last date of air rather than date of cancellation (I'm not sure which it would have been), then Hulu could air from the following...

Luke Cage S3 - 23/06/2020
Iron Fist S3/Heroes For Hire S1/Daughters of the Dragon S1 - 08/9/2020
Daredevil S4 - 20/10/2020
The Punisher S3 - 18/1/2021
Jessica Jones S4 - 2021

So, is it

...cannot appear on screen within two years of last air date
...cannot appear on screen within two years of cancellation date
...cannot sign a contract regarding a show for any character featured on the above shows for two years?

If it is either of the first two, then they could start filming them later this year to air next year.

Indy_UK

$13.5 billion including the Yes Network then? That's a fair bit less than they were worth no? Ah well, they're gone and I just hope a little of that to buyout Comcast from Hulu.

Ripken10

$13.5 billion including the Yes Network then? That's a fair bit less than they were worth no? Ah well, they're gone and I just hope a little of that to buyout Comcast from Hulu.
In the other thread they wondered what comes of the approx. 5 billion debt. If they took it on, then the deal is very close to the initial value.

Cosmic Commando

Disney has a leg up on Netflix and its lies in this....Netflix cancels shows after three seasons because they don't bring in new subscribers and royalties for show creators and participants kick in past 3 seasons hints the huge deals upfront for properties.

Disney deals with the content creators include backend starting at season one and no premature cancellations to save money, they will manage to cut off netflix.
This is one of the areas where Netflix handicaps itself IMO. They pay big bucks to keep Friends and The Office (and eventually they’ll even lose the option to buy them), but they’ll never have their own Friends if they cancel everything after three seasons.

Darkprime

Having not seen the actual contract, I thought that when it was originally talked about, it was said along the lines of "the character cannot be used on screen for two years following cancellation", not that they couldn't sign a contact before then.

If so, then, using last date of air rather than date of cancellation (I'm not sure which it would have been), then Hulu could air from the following...

Luke Cage S3 - 23/06/2020
Iron Fist S3/Heroes For Hire S1/Daughters of the Dragon S1 - 08/9/2020
Daredevil S4 - 20/10/2020
The Punisher S3 - 18/1/2021
Jessica Jones S4 - 2021

So, is it

...cannot appear on screen within two years of last air date
...cannot appear on screen within two years of cancellation date
...cannot sign a contract regarding a show for any character featured on the above shows for two years?

If it is either of the first two, then they could start filming them later this year to air next year.

There's still a chance they can retain the Netflix cast. Hopefully Disney has told them whats up especially CharlieCox. "we want to renew the shows in 2021/2022 so don't plan any work for say Fall 2021 as we want to go into production of Daredevil Season 4 for Disney plus/Hulu. These actors schedules are planned years in advance these days.

Ive seen different reports about this going around. Some of them say that Netflix just warned Disney to make sure they knew the rules of the contract. Others are saying that Netflix warned Disney cause Disney actually tried to actually do something with them just recently before the contract was up. Either way Disney could probably buy their way out of the contract if they really wanted. But It would be easier to just wait out the 2 years tho.

djlaosc

There's still a chance they can retain the Netflix cast. Hopefully Disney has told them whats up especially CharlieCox. "we want to renew the shows in 2021/2022 so don't plan any work for say Fall 2021 as we want to go into production of Daredevil Season 4 for Disney plus/Hulu. These actors schedules are planned years in advance these days.

Ive seen different reports about this going around. Some of them say that Netflix just warned Disney to make sure they knew the rules of the contract. Others are saying that Netflix warned Disney cause Disney actually tried to actually do something with them just recently before the contract was up. Either way Disney could probably buy their way out of the contract if they really wanted. But It would be easier to just wait out the 2 years tho.

I've just looked online, and it looks as though it is two years from date of cancellation, not last date used:

It will all just depend on what the use of the word "appear" means... Can they film before this date and just not air publicly?

Therefore...

Iron Fist/Luke Cage/Heroes For Hire/Daughters of the Dragon would not be able to be used until 19/10/2020 (Iron Fist was cancelled on 12/10/18 but both Danny and Colleen were main characters in Luke Cage S2, therefore Danny, Colleen, Luke, Misty and Claire would not be available until 19/10/2020.

Daredevil would not be able to be used until 29/11/2020 - ruling out Matt, Foggy, Wilson Fisk and Dex until then.

The Punisher/Jessica Jones would not be able to be used until 18/02/2021 - ruling out Frank, Karen, Jessica and Trish until then, unless anyone else appears in Jessica Jones Season 3 whenever it airs

Means that we are already through 27% of the time until LC/IF could air, 22% of the time until DD could air and 11% of the time until TP/JJ could air.

Given the fact that JJS2 was picked up in January 2016, but didn't start to film until April 2017 there would be no reason why Disney/Hulu couldn't pick up the rights/actors now and then film when they have time as they couldn't air/film before the above dates anyway.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
I've just looked online, and it looks as though it is two years from date of cancellation, not last date used:

It will all just depend on what the use of the word "appear" means... Can they film before this date and just not air publicly?

Therefore...

Iron Fist/Luke Cage/Heroes For Hire/Daughters of the Dragon would not be able to be used until 19/10/2020 (Iron Fist was cancelled on 12/10/18 but both Danny and Colleen were main characters in Luke Cage S2, therefore Danny, Colleen, Luke, Misty and Claire would not be available until 19/10/2020.

Daredevil would not be able to be used until 29/11/2020 - ruling out Matt, Foggy, Wilson Fisk and Dex until then.

The Punisher/Jessica Jones would not be able to be used until 18/02/2021 - ruling out Frank, Karen, Jessica and Trish until then, unless anyone else appears in Jessica Jones Season 3 whenever it airs

Means that we are already through 27% of the time until LC/IF could air, 22% of the time until DD could air and 11% of the time until TP/JJ could air.

Given the fact that JJS2 was picked up in January 2016, but didn't start to film until April 2017 there would be no reason why Disney/Hulu couldn't pick up the rights/actors now and then film when they have time as they couldn't air/film before the above dates anyway.

They can do that.

They can also do what they just announced: Develop similar R-Rated Marvel TV series while they're waiting to re-use the Defenders. They already announced Ghost Rider and Helstrom. They can do origin stories of other street-level heroes that will then be ready to team-up with whatever Defender is ready to go when the time comes.

djlaosc

Jessica Jones is now being advertised as coming soon for Netflix, which will be the final series from the Netflix-Marvel partnership.

Hopefully, once this has aired, we could start to hear about the characters moving elsewhere. Maybe they have been waiting under Netflix has no more episodes to air.

Slpy3270

I could've preferred anyone but Sinclair for the RSNs given their reputation in the political realm of distorting local news with a conservative bias.

Oh well, at least Ring of Honor won't have to rely on local broadcast syndication anymore for most markets. Sinclair can just put them on the RSN in a market that has them.

capsshield

Canceling the marvel shows by Netflix was one of the dumbest things they could have done IMO. As a huge marvel fan I will leave Netflix very soon and only do a month every 6 -18 months at a time, if that. If Disney plus and Hulu put together a package I may cut the cable as well as switch my streaming to them. If Daredevil and the other shows move to either service I would bet there will be a stream of fans that do the same thing.
If you look at the highest grossing films of all time Disney now owns 40-50% of them and they are working on a lot of new shows that I think I want to see and will enjoy. Disney plus is going to be bigger than most people realize. Connected to Hulu and Hulu live the service will be way better than current cable packages and will change TV entertainment as we know it. We are looking at the tip of the iceberg.

The two year window Netflix has on those shows is nothing when you look at how long it took in between seasons for shows like the Soprano's or Curb your Enthusiasm. As stated earlier some of the shows are about 20-25% of the way through that wait and Disney plus won't be up and running for another 25% of that wait. Plenty of time to focus on what really worked and retool everything to be better than before. (Hope they look at season 3 of Daredevil). I know a lot of people hate on Bob Iger, but he really has delivered for Disney. He has secured a solid future for the company for decades to come.

Slpy3270

Per the just-released earnings report, Disney currently has liabilities (i.e. debt) of $44.3 billion. Not a critical level by any stretch, but definitely needs attention to keep that number from going up.

Last edited:

jt04

Per the just-released earnings report, Disney currently has liabilities (i.e. debt) of $44.3 billion. Not a critical level by any stretch, but definitely needs attention to keep that number from going up.

Disney+ and the ability to bundle will succeed very well.

And there is this...

P&R doing well even before SWL. 93% occupancy before SWL opens. Didn't expect that

brodie999

Disney+ and the ability to bundle will succeed very well.

And there is this...

P&R doing well even before SWL. 93% occupancy before SWL opens. Didn't expect that
That's amazing!! Let's hope the Q3 earnings are even bigger, making an amount of $30 billion with all the studios owned by Disney combined now that Fox is part of the House Mouse now. They're gonna get their money back very quick.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom