The Integration of Fox into the Disney Corporate Family: Parks, Movies, IPs, Studios

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If you look at the value of all of the RSN’s based on what Disney paid for them (I.e. their revenue as a percent of the total 21CF assets Disney Purchased, Disney paid about $20 billion dollars for them (give or take $500 million).... Disney will be taking a loss on anything they get for them that is less than this $20 billion dollar figure.... Remember they are going to get close to $4 billion for the YES network by itself, so the total they would be getting would be somewhere around $14 billion if this story is true (Sinclair wins and pays $10 billion for the other 21 networks).

I saw that Magic Johnson has jumped into the bidding with another group. I would think even though this is the “final bids” Disney would consider anything else which comes along to increase the overall price. I know Major League Baseball really wants these channels.... Disney does have about 60 more days before they have to make the deal, and they can get a 90 day extension (the DOJ has already said they could get that).... Unless Disney just wants to make this go away, Time is on Disney’s side, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they drag their feet.... Personally, I wish they would sprin the RSN’s off as a separate company....
Anything they get that brings the cost of the overall acquisition is good for me as an investor. ;);)

BTW Barron's had valued the RSNs at about $18.6 back in January.

WhatJaneSays

Slpy3270

One of the biggest concerns leading up to the deal was that a culture clash would cause upcoming films to be toned down or sent to other studios. With Disney trying to remove smoking from the West Side Story remake, we're seeing that culture clash play out right now.

Plus, The Hate U Give lost $30-40 million against a $23 million budget. The hell?

The Grand Inquisitor

One of the biggest concerns leading up to the deal was that a culture clash would cause upcoming films to be toned down or sent to other studios. With Disney trying to remove smoking from the West Side Story remake, we're seeing that culture clash play out right now.

Plus, The Hate U Give lost $30-40 million against a $23 million budget. The hell?
The Hate U Give was a pretty boring movie to be honest.

Quinnmac000

Ironically they want Fox to make PG-13 to R rated movies yet Alan Horn still has to chime in about smoking when its target isn't even young kids. So dumb and not even worth the fight.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3454297-comcast-discussing-sale-hulu-stake-disney-cnbc

Disney (DIS +0.6%) is now in talks with Comcast (NASDAQ:CMCSA) about a deal to buy the cable giant out of streaming service Hulu, CNBC reports.

Comcast has jumped 3.5%.

Disney was previously a 30% owner in the venture, along with equal stakes from Fox and Comcast and a 10% share by AT&T's WarnerMedia. But Disney took over Fox's 30%, and WarnerMedia sold its 10% back to Hulu, leaving Comcast as the only non-Disney owner.

Comcast is weighing the factors in doing a deal now rather than later, according to the report -- including valuation, Comcast's "negative controls" that give it some veto power, and potential leverage over Disney in the future.

As of today, Comcast's NBC provides about 17% of Hulu's content, and it doesn't plan to pull any right now; even after NBC launches a streaming service in 2020, Hulu will serve as its outlet for same-season shows.

Reminder that if this happens it would be Disney's best chance to get all those Marvel rights that Comcast owns for the foreseeable future.

seascape

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3454297-comcast-discussing-sale-hulu-stake-disney-cnbc

Reminder that if this happens it would be Disney's best chance to get all those Marvel rights that Comcast owns for the foreseeable future.
I am shocked to hear Comcast is interested in selling it's share of Hulu after they specifically said on their conference call that they will be keeping it. Unless Disney made an offer after the call Comcast may be in violations of SEC rules. But after listening to the call, Disney may have called Comcast because they want Hulu to expand into Europe and Comcast can block that.

Going forward a worldwide Hulu with Disney plus, Hotstar and ESPN can provide the best worldwide entertainment value. Direct to the consumer over the top via the internet is a much greater value than depending on wires to the home.

Indy_UK

Comcast need to sell their share and just be a content provider for Hulu, especially when we talk about the amount of debt they are carrying ATM.

AT&T selling their share back is what has prompted this discussion.

Quinnmac000

From the conference call this morning

Roberts also offered his first comments on NBCU’s minority stake in Hulu since Disney closed its acquisition of 21st Century Fox last month and then bought WarnerMedia’s 10% of Hulu. “It is very much in everybody’s interest to maintain” the Hulu relationship, Roberts said. “No new news today on it, other than that it’s really valuable and we’re glad we own a really large piece of it.”

seascape

From the conference call this morning

Roberts also offered his first comments on NBCU’s minority stake in Hulu since Disney closed its acquisition of 21st Century Fox last month and then bought WarnerMedia’s 10% of Hulu. “It is very much in everybody’s interest to maintain” the Hulu relationship, Roberts said. “No new news today on it, other than that it’s really valuable and we’re glad we own a really large piece of it.”
After reading his statement, I can see he didn't really say he was not interested in selling it. Saying he is glad to own a very valuable asset and it's in everyone's interest to maintain the Hulu relationship is not saying he won't sell and to follow up with no news today, indicates he will be selling it. Reading it instead of hearing it, shows me I was wrong.

Slpy3270

Another Fox executive joins the Disney ranks. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...-disney-tv-as-new-marketing-president-1204853

Another Fox player is making the move to the Walt Disney Corporation. Just a month after Disney’s formal acquisition of most of Fox’s entertainment properties, longtime network executive Shannon Ryan is joining some of her former colleagues as ABC Entertainment and Disney Television Studios’ new president of marketing.

Ryan enjoyed a strong run at the Fox network over two decades, most recently serving as the CMO of Fox Television Group — a role that saw her overseeing marketing efforts at both the broadcast network and its former sister studio. In her new role, Ryan will report to ABC Entertainment president Karey Burke and Disney TV Studios president Craig Hunegs.

She will be heading marketing, publicity and communications operations of ABC and Disney's television studios.

Quinnmac000

Disney has a leg up on Netflix and its lies in this....Netflix cancels shows after three seasons because they don't bring in new subscribers and royalties for show creators and participants kick in past 3 seasons hints the huge deals upfront for properties.

Disney deals with the content creators include backend starting at season one and no premature cancellations to save money, they will manage to cut off netflix.

Slpy3270

As expected Lord and Miller have left 20th Century Fox Television for Sony, with plans for a Spider-Man Universe TV series in the works.

On the flip side, Octavia Spencer (The Help) just signed an overall deal with 20th.

djlaosc

Marvel's Ghost Rider and Marvel's Helstrom to launch on Hulu in 2020.

djlaosc

Marvel's Ghost Rider and Marvel's Helstrom to launch on Hulu in 2020.

So Hulu will have Ghost Rider, Helstrom and Runaways... still waiting for them to pick up the Netflix shows - if they were going to do it, they could almost have new Marvel Content rolling out every 2-3 months... would give them 8 titles (9 if they were to do another series of The Defenders)...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom