The Integration of Fox into the Disney Corporate Family: Parks, Movies, IPs, Studios

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Here's a catch-all thread for how the Disney - Fox merger is going and its implications.

First thing to note is that Iger has said several times he's keeping all of the Fox studios and expects them to keep producing original content for their TV/Cable channels and for D+/Hulu. He's mentioned most of them by name, though, the one exception he hasn't mentioned by name is Blue Sky.

Merger officially takes place on March 20, 2019.

Box Office for 2019 Discussion:

The big merger watch thread:

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Here's an abridged list of Fox IP that can be rebooted, serialized, theme-parkified... maybe or maybe not...

FOX

Anastasia
Titan A.E.
Fern Gully
Ice Age
Rio
Robots
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Book of Life
Alvin and the Chipmunks
Marmaduke
Night at the Museum
Percy Jackson
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Simpsons
King of the Hill
Family guy
Futurama
American Dad
Dude, Where’s My Car
Malcolm in the Middle
Home Alone
Second City TV

Alien & Predator
Legion
Independence Day
Planet of the Apes
Buffy
The Day the Earth Stood Still

Mary Tyler Moore Show
Bob Newhart
WKRP
Hill Street Blues
MASH
Doogie Howser

Miracle on 34th Street
Lifeboat
The Three Faces of Eve
Titanic
Cast Away
The Martian

South Pacific
The Sound of Music
Hello Dolly!
Oklahoma
Carousel
Daddy Long Legs
The King and I
Glee

Young Frankenstein
Rocky Horror Picture Show
12 Years a Slave
Fight Club
Marley & Me
It’s Always Sunny
Archer
Deadpool
Arrested Development

Fox/Marvel now back with Marvel (but not allowed in WDW)
  • X-Men
  • Fantastic Four

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
How are Fox properties doing?

Blue Sky...

For comparison....

Disney wins with critics and audiences. Blue Sky wins on profitability since their budget is nearly half that of Disney.

Here's the upcoming Fox slate of movies. Alita is basically done, but the Kid Who Would be King will be opening in markets worldwide until the end of June. So, too early to judge how it did.

Last edited:

Darkprime

Here's an abridged list of Fox IP that can be rebooted, serialized, theme-parkified... maybe or maybe not...

FOX

Anastasia
Titan A.E.
Fern Gully
Ice Age
Rio
Robots
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Book of Life
Alvin and the Chipmunks
Marmaduke
Night at the Museum
Percy Jackson
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
X-Men

Simpsons
King of the Hill
Family guy
Futurama
American Dad
Dude, Where’s My Car
Malcolm in the Middle
Home Alone
Second City TV

Alien & Predator
Legion
Independence Day
Planet of the Apes
Buffy
The Day the Earth Stood Still

Mary Tyler Moore Show
Bob Newhart
WKRP
Hill Street Blues
MASH
Doogie Howser

Miracle on 34th Street
Lifeboat
The Three Faces of Eve
Titanic
Cast Away
The Martian

South Pacific
The Sound of Music
Hello Dolly!
Oklahoma
Carousel
Daddy Long Legs
The King and I
Glee

Young Frankenstein
Rocky Horror Picture Show
12 Years a Slave
Fight Club
Marley & Me
It’s Always Sunny
Archer
Deadpool
Arrested Development

You forgot Fantastic Four.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
First thing to note is that Iger has said several times he's keeping all of the Fox studios and expects them to keep producing original content for their TV/Cable channels and for D+/Hulu. He's mentioned most of them by name, though, the one exception he hasn't mentioned by name is Blue Sky.

I have a lot of friends that work there and Disney executives have been spending a good amount of time at Blue Sky recently. Disney is telling them they want them to keep making theatrical movies but they all expect a decent amount of their work to shift to Disney+.

That's good to know!

Twilight_Roxas

Disney can’t use the Simpsons in Disneyland nor Disney World since Universal has them, but Disney could use The Simpsons in there international parks.

brodie999

So Disney won't be able to build an X-Mansion anytime soon?
They could in the near future. They just gotta buy the park rights to Fox characters before they put them in Disneyland. Avatar is an example because it was in Disneyland long before the Fox deal was made.

Twilight_Roxas

They could in the near future. They just gotta buy the park rights to Fox characters before they put them in Disneyland. Avatar is an example because it was in Disneyland long before the Fox deal was made.
Well Disney World. Although The Simpsons, and Blue Sky most likely in Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Shanghai.

BrianLo

How are Fox properties doing?

Blue Sky...

View attachment 357262

For comparison....

View attachment 357265

Disney wins with critics and audiences. Blue Sky wins on profitability since their budget is nearly half that of Disney.

Here's the upcoming Fox slate of movies. Alita is basically done, but the Kid Who Would be King will be opening in markets worldwide until the end of June. So, too early to judge how it did.

View attachment 357266

These are great (honestly excellent) charts, thanks for doing that!

I do wonder if the TRUE ROI is a bit hard to make a call on given the non-theatrical window. I think Disney does unusually well comparatively in their non-theatrical windows via licensing and home video sales. It's kind of impossible to incorporate that into a formula though.

For example, I am certain The first Wreck it Ralph was profitable in the end. Not just break even.

PS: Do you have a Pixar equivalent chart?

brodie999

I do wonder if the TRUE ROI is a bit hard to make a call on given the non-theatrical window. I think Disney does unusually well comparatively in their non-theatrical windows via licensing and home video sales. It's kind of impossible to incorporate that into a formula though.

For example, I am certain The first Wreck it Ralph was profitable in the end. Not just break even.

Agreed. I wonder if some of the Disney/Pixar producers like Pete Docter, Jennifer Lee, Rich Moore and Don Hall will produce films made by Blue Sky from then on. Because that'd totally redeem Ice Age and Rio's reputation.

brodie999

There isn’t I’m just surprised that Blue Sky never did.
Oh... if they do make it, hopefully, it'll be one of the first X-Men films distributed by Disney after the Fox acquisition. Big Hero 6 and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse proved animated superhero films can shine on the big screen. a animated X-Men movie would prove that again.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

Pixar and more...

Also linked in my sig below.

If the film got good reviews, it could have a great post-theatrical success in DVD, TV/Cable, and streaming, and merch. Enough to cover a small loss. However, if it got bad reviews or the loss was really big (oh, Hai, Nutcracker!), then it would have little success in the aftermarket and wouldn't make up the loss.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom