The Integration of Fox into the Disney Corporate Family: Parks, Movies, IPs, Studios

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Surprisingly, Disney has decided to renew their pact with Arnon Milchan's New Regency studio. It was set to expire next year.
Why 'surprisingly'? Disney owns 20% of Regency....
In September 1997, Milchan signed a 15-year distribution pact with 20th Century Fox worldwide in all media outside of foreign television rights, ending a previous association with Warner Bros. (1991–1999). Fox's parent company News Corporation (now Walt Disney Studios) funneled $200 million in New Regency, in exchange for a 20% stake in the company.[1] In 2011, Fox and New Regency extended the pact, to expire in 2022.[7]
On May 21, 2008, they hired Hutch Parker as co-chairman of the studio.[8] He left the post on January 11, 2012.[9]
The Walt Disney Company inherited Fox's stake in Regency Enterprises and New Regency Productions after Disney acquired 21st Century Fox's assets on March 20, 2019.[10] After Disney dropped the “Fox” name from the studio's 20th Century Fox and Fox Searchlight Pictures branding and the two studios were renamed 20th Century Studios and Searchlight Pictures, respectively on January 17, 2020, Regency Enterprises transferred to Walt Disney Studios, in exchange for a 20% stake in the parent company.[11]

Darkprime

I haven't kept up with this in a while is Fox fully integrated with Disney now? I remember reading it would take 2 years for Disneys post-aquisition impact on Fox to be felt. I do find it a bit odd they have yet to announce a new Wolverine or X-Men movie.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
I haven't kept up with this in a while is Fox fully integrated with Disney now? I remember reading it would take 2 years for Disneys post-aquisition impact on Fox to be felt. I do find it a bit odd they have yet to announce a new Wolverine or X-Men movie.
I think there's some minor Fox TV studio that hasn't been properly renamed to indicate the new reality. The last movies that were Fox-only (Free Guy, Ron's Gone Wrong) have been released except for Bob's Burgers, but they've been flying under the new company logos anyway. All the Fox TV and Movie and Animation Studios are fully under Disney control. Anything new announced or released under Searchlight, or 20th Century or FX has been approved by Disney proper.

The financial books have been merged and all the accounting tricks necessary have taken place.

FX has been promoted as a signature TV brand getting its own hub on Hulu/Star.

I think Disney has finished selling off Fox's legacy linear TV networks in other countries. From here on out, it's all about the streaming internationally.

I think there's one small sell-off of a foreign sports channel that's still has to be done to satisfy that country's anti-monopoly laws (trouble finding buyers).

And Disney is still working it's way through Fox's library, moving it to D+ or Hulu/Star. Disney hasn't finished going through their own library in that regard, either. There are sill some Fox licensing agreements with other streamers, TV channels, and PPP VOD that have yet to expire (probably 5 year contracts).

A new X-Men movie is coming... but maybe not for 2 to 3 years. Fox damaged that IP a bit. And there's a wealth of other Marvel IP waiting for their chance in the spotlight before X-Men/FF is rebooted. That's a Feige decision, not a lack of integration problem.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
A new X-Men movie is coming... but maybe not for 2 to 3 years. Fox damaged that IP a bit. And there's a wealth of other Marvel IP waiting for their chance in the spotlight before X-Men/FF is rebooted. That's a Feige decision, not a lack of integration problem.
Exactly there is nothing stopping a new X-Men or Fantastic Four movie from being made other than Feige himself. They literally could have started making a new film on March 20th 2019. Feige has a whole slate of films already in the pipeline and a plan for how to introduce new characters from the 1000s they have access to, including the X-Men and FF.

J4546

maybe disney could trade away simpsons for the rights to marvel characters east of the mississippi? I like simpsons, but would rather it get traded for something else if need be

Disney Irish

Premium Member
maybe disney could trade away simpsons for the rights to marvel characters east of the mississippi? I like simpsons, but would rather it get traded for something else if need be
Disney appears to like having Simpsons as they're making new shorts for D+, I think at least 5 now.

So doubt they would trade them away. Plus I suspect long term that Uni will redo the Simpsons area, so wouldn't need the rights.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom