The Imaginarium - Competition Thread [Complete]

Disney Dad 3000

Hey all, guess who's back?!!? First off...yes, I took my elimination way too hard. I was a total bitter Betty about the whole thing and genuinely feel bad for going off the way that I did. That being said...with how everything has played out, I'm going to be straight with the three of you and say that I think there's still a lot of unanswered sketchiness surrounding the events of the past few rounds. My biggest issue with this season as a whole was that it really felt like nobody was playng with strategy until suddenly things started to get really cut throat. I made aproximately two strategic moves this season. Making a final two deal with @D Hulk on day one and making an Avengers alliance that never went anywhere to protect Hulk and I when we went on our late September/early October trips. Besides that I was fully commited to taking Hulk to the end with me as a rematch of a past Sorcerer's Apprentice finale. Obviously...that didn't happen. ;) With that in mind, I'd like to ask each of you some rather pressing questions.

@Disney Dad 3000 - You've played a rock solid Assistant Coach game the entire way through and have done an excellent job of not burning any in-game bridges, something that your two competitiors can't honestly say in my humble opinion. My question to you is...With this being a strategy game what did you do in this game that was INDEPENDANT of Hulk. As far as I'm concerned you two were in lockstep the entire time. Why should people vote for you over Hulk when you two have pretty much been THE power duo of the season.

I'm still a bit salty, but wounds heal. I feel pretty much the same way now that @JokersWild did about me during my strategy-heavy domineering games in SYWTBAI seasons 8 and 12 and flash forward to now and he's one of the most valued friends I have. I really want that to be the case with you guys but at the moment damage has been done and in my eyes there's some repairing and reflecting on personal relationships that has to happen on all our ends. This season has been an emotional whirlwind and I give @tcool123 all the credit in the world for running it solo. At the end of the day, I want to see you guys OWN your games. My vote is still very much up for grabs and will pretty much entirely depend on how ya'll answer these questions. Good luck, no permanent hard feelings, and may the best person win. You've all played really great games but to pull one of my all time favorite obscure Survivor quotes from Ranger Rick Nelson..."There's blood in the water. Were all just swimming around in it!"

While I'd love to take credit for some grand alliance, I can say with complete transparency, there was nothing there beyond a good working relationship/friendship. The extent of my alliance with Hulk? 2 messages on 8/31 (part of a long term sidebar convo we have) that joked about an Imaginarium Alliance (why not) and me responding with some random Nintendo Switch Avengers title cover. Our next discussion outside of the game didn't take place again until late October and that was strictly on covering for anyone we weren't sure would have details ready for the project (can't remember what it was that week). Even with our 10 hour day at AK together, I think we talked the comp a total of 5 minutes and that was project related. Truth be told, and I won't speak for Doug, but there was an unspoken commitment on my part that I wouldn't be voting for him, partly out of that friendship, but also the chance for possible friendly competition in a finals if I was lucky enough.

The Avengers Alliance is funny. Even though nobody responded, the 5 of us all ended up being in the final 6 so it worked out. I was going to respond, but honestly was a little hesitant as just on relationships alone, I had a gut feeling you, Jokers and PerGron would probably team up at some point.

I guess technically I did have a strategy, but nothing formal with anyone and mostly on my own terms and as you said, try not to burn any bridges. From an Imagineering perspective, I wanted to be an active participant every round this season and contribute as much as I could if the topic allowed. Early on, I really wanted to see how things were going to shake out before even thinking of diving into something. As it stood, we had the occasional drop outs as is customary, and things were stable with eliminations seemingly sticking to productivity which I was cool with so it didn't necessitate any major planning. I actually contemplated reaching out to Mickey to help me and get a vote for you when you, Doug and I were up, but didn't end up pulling the trigger. I honestly thought I was going home that round, but in retrospect, Doug and yourself were huge threats in a final match up so it made sense. It didn't end up mattering (for me), but that was actually the first round I did the immunity challenge as I was sure I was done. With PerGron and Jokers unfortunately having to leave, not a lot of planning was needed after but them sticking around would have definitely changed things.

@D Hulk @Disney Dad 3000 You guys got a break with Project 8 as Team Rebounders came up with a Deluxe Resort (Disney Vacation Club). How do you think you would have contributed that week had you been active?

@MickeyWaffleCo. You have had arguably the most difficult path since you were eliminated but went straight into designing a resort with Jokers in Project 8. What did you learn from being (temporarily) ousted from the competition? Did it light your fire (so to speak)?
I wasn't privy to the goings on of that round, but was able to gather that there was a bit of inactivity that round and Jokers and MickeyWaffle both got put through for putting together such a solid project and the work they put into it. Big fan of the resort rounds, so if nothing else, I would have been there to help pick up any workload off of them or just help add to what they put together with menus, further ski grounds details (I'm a fan), etc. I was part of a team that did a ski resort before (SA4 I think) so I might have helped to brainstorm other ideas out of strictly personal preference but still liked the idea overall.

itsy bitsy spider

It’s just part of the game. There are competitions like SA that are less strategy-based, but comps like these provide a bit of excitement and ensure that newer people like me have at least a small chance against veterans like Hulk and DDad.

How is that fair??? If the same three or four buddies keep playing together.

"Hello everyone and thank you for watching. Who will win round number 3? It's between Greg, Peter and Bobby Brady.... and oh yeah Todd from Accounting."

MickeyWaffleCo.

In the Parks
No
How is that fair??? If the same three or four buddies keep playing together.

"Hello everyone and thank you for watching. Who will win round number 3? It's between Greg, Peter and Bobby Brady.... and oh yeah Todd from Accounting."
Alliances aren’t guaranteed to be successful. If Todd wins the immunity challenge he’s immediately safe and one of the alliance’s members is eliminated in his stead. There’s also the possibility of backstabbing, plus the redemption challenge later on. In short, alliances aren’t all-powerful, and the strategy element adds a lot to the game.

PerGron

Alliances aren’t guaranteed to be successful. If Todd wins the immunity challenge he’s immediately safe and one of the alliance’s members is eliminated in his stead. There’s also the possibility of backstabbing, plus the redemption challenge later on. In short, alliances aren’t all-powerful, and the strategy element adds a lot to the game.
Plus, it’s easy to overthrow alliances based on doing good work. I won 1986 last year despite alliances forming all over the place to try to take me down purely based on the work I was doing

Chaos Cat

...What? Expecting questions from me? Sorry, don't have time for those; busy with...
ominous.png

...other things.

spacemt354

Chili's
Part of me doesn't see the harm in all 3 of you being in the finale because in many respects my votes are less about what you've done in this game, and more about the untapped potential of what you can do in the finale. The fall slot has a reputation for being the busiest season of them all, and given the final 3's previous track records there's a lot of innovation possibilities still left on the table.

That is why I'm struggling with this vote and hopefully the answer to the questions can help. Regardless of what happens each of you earned an Olympic 'medal' placement so to speak... which is something to be proud of.

Nevertheless - here we go

@D Hulk - First a quick follow-up 'strategy' question after reading some of the behind the scenes aspects above. If the original plan was for both of you to go to the final two, were you surprised to be nominated yourself for elimination by Tiki and did that have any influence over your voting decision?

Second question - After visiting almost a dozen theme parks in the Orlando/Tampa area this past September - TRIP REPORT HERE (for anyone who wants to catch up) - what did you notice from any of these parks that you would want to incorporate into your next imagineering venture (ie the potential finale project)

@Disney Dad 3000 - You need no introduction when it comes to your past achievements, winning SYWTBAI Season 16, hosting the Great Movie Ride competition, and making it to the Sorcerer's Apprentice finals on numerous occasions. Why would winning The Imaginarium be special in your eyes?

@MickeyWaffleCo. - This is a compliment, but you remind me of @AceAstro 's first year on the forum. I say it's a compliment because after growing in the Great Movie Ride Comp in 2017, hosted his own competition, then he went on to win Sorcerer's Apprentice 4 the next year. However...with that said, he didn't get there by luck, he got there through his determination to learn new skills, such as website design in the finale project.

As I mentioned, the fall can be a busy time, but this is the finals now - what skill will you bring to the imagineering table in the finale that is 'new for you'? (make it a goal now and uphold it!)

-------------------------
Once again congrats to everyone!

MickeyWaffleCo.

In the Parks
No
@MickeyWaffleCo. - This is a compliment, but you remind me of @AceAstro 's first year on the forum. I say it's a compliment because after growing in the Great Movie Ride Comp in 2017, hosted his own competition, then he went on to win Sorcerer's Apprentice 4 the next year. However...with that said, he didn't get there by luck, he got there through his determination to learn new skills, such as website design in the finale project.

As I mentioned, the fall can be a busy time, but this is the finals now - what skill will you bring to the imagineering table in the finale that is 'new for you'? (make it a goal now and uphold it!)
If the opportunity presents itself, I’d love to try to branch out to doing more illustrations. My artistic skills aren’t great, which is why I typically default to Photoshop art and graphic design, but I think trying some hand-drawn art would be a good way to expand my skillset.

D Hulk

Hey all, guess who's back?!!? First off...yes, I took my elimination way too hard. I was a total bitter Betty about the whole thing and genuinely feel bad for going off the way that I did. That being said...with how everything has played out, I'm going to be straight with the three of you and say that I think there's still a lot of unanswered sketchiness surrounding the events of the past few rounds. My biggest issue with this season as a whole was that it really felt like nobody was playng with strategy until suddenly things started to get really cut throat. I made aproximately two strategic moves this season. Making a final two deal with @D Hulk on day one and making an Avengers alliance that never went anywhere to protect Hulk and I when we went on our late September/early October trips. Besides that I was fully commited to taking Hulk to the end with me as a rematch of a past Sorcerer's Apprentice finale. Obviously...that didn't happen. ;) With that in mind, I'd like to ask each of you some rather pressing questions.

Hulk - At what point in the game did you decide you weren't going to honor our final two deal? Also on a personal level, was ghosting me in our trip planning conversation part of your strategy to get me out or have you just been busy in that regard? You fell completely radio silent and next thing I know I'm out of the game. Walk me through the events that led to you wanting me out.
Jeepers, I had no idea you felt so betrayed on a personal level regarding things entirely removed from this silly game. Believe me, I wasn't intentionally ghosting you in our personal conversation. It seemed that the discussion was simply on hiatus until our future travel plans came into clearer focus, that's all. (For what it's worth, I never got airtime on Tigris.) Surely I meant no insult! There's blood in the water, but that's water under the bridge, if you'll let me mix your metaphor.

Onto the game...and strategy...

You're reading more into my motivations and my thought process than was there. Never attribute to malice and all that. I never set out at any stage to remove you from the game. I'm not that crafty! To be honest, I'd completely and utterly forgotten about our early alliance deal, which was made way back in - what? - August or September? There wasn't ever any alliance discussion after those extremely early days, on anybody's end, so all that stuff simply slipped my mind. Think it got crowded out by all the theme park travel done in between. (Velocicoaster killed some brain cells.) Late season "strategic" decisions were spur-of-the-moment, flawed, and they were all defensive plays. Speaking of...

@D Hulk - First a quick follow-up 'strategy' question after reading some of the behind the scenes aspects above. If the original plan was for both of you to go to the final two, were you surprised to be nominated yourself for elimination by Tiki and did that have any influence over your voting decision?
Tiki's nomination of Dad & myself seemed strategic on his part. Tiki has a reputation as a strategist. And the three of us have a shared reputation as strong players, making us all understandable targets. Given that situation, once I was nominated, I voted for Tiki as a self-preservation tactic. The vote came down to the two of us after all.

@D Hulk @Disney Dad 3000 You guys got a break with Project 8 as Team Rebounders came up with a Deluxe Resort (Disney Vacation Club). How do you think you would have contributed that week had you been active?
Ah, a fun question!

Many years ago, I worked with Disney Dad and others on a DVC ski resort. In the Imaginarium brainstorming phase, I'd've proposed something far removed from that: Likely a safari lodge on the boundary overlooking Kenya's Nairobi National Park, complete with wild animal sightseeing tours. Apparently Team Rebounders debated a similar concept.

And, of course, whatever concept we'd've gone with in this hypothetical, I'd've volunteered for whatever hotel component needed doing, to help with the workload, and I'd've done that section to the utmost.

Second question - After visiting almost a dozen theme parks in the Orlando/Tampa area this past September - TRIP REPORT HERE (for anyone who wants to catch up) - what did you notice from any of these parks that you would want to incorporate into your next imagineering venture (ie the potential finale project)
Another fun one! Good question.

The hyper realistic theming of Animal Kingdom really inspired me, particularly the way Joe Rohde et al were able to incorporate genuine real world artifacts and research, and tie those into a coherent overarching theme for the park. That seems the gold standard for real world-inspired Imagineering, and it's a good style to emulate. On the other hand, if something more playful and fantastical is called for, I also loved the rather less serious approach seen at Islands of Adventure. That park might be the happiest medium between theme park and amusement park that I've seen.

TheOriginalTiki

Final statements

@D Hulk ...Yep, you're right. I was absolutely taking this thing too personally. There's a bit of unresolved they said/they said that I don't really want to drag back up since those conversations happened in private, but suffice to say I guess I just didn't feel the need to do heavy strategy talk as I felt the "let's have a repeat of the SA finale" was strong enough motivation to keep our agreement in tact until you "fired the first shot" if you will and nominated me. I'll admit there definitely was a "let's take out the power duo" angle to me nominating you two and I really for the sake of my own game that I hadn't done that, but by the same token I absolutely stand by the fact that Jokers and Waffles both deserved to be the two safe people that round especially after working their butts off to get back in. I put a lot of work into putting together the final project I was involved in and honestly think you basically checked out of that round anyways when we didn't go with Mira Costa so that's probably part of the reason why I was so upset to go on that particular round. As for the personal conversation stuff...yea, it was the fact that I literally had unanswered questions from the last message I sent you, as trivial as they were...that made the timing of my elimination mixed with the lack of response a bit "suss" but you've been publicly sick so it's totally fine. It's absolutely not your fault that I got way too invested in this game.

@MickeyWaffleCo. - Waffles, waffles, waffles. Man, I really respect the heck out of you and your spunk. I think it's clear you most actively WANT the win out of the people left and I honestly really wish it would have come down to us two in the finals since I think it'd be a really interesting talented newcomer vs. veteran who's come close but never won sort of scenario. I'm gonna be honest with you though, for as much as you're trying to pitch you trying to use strategy I think you made a ton of critical errors along the way. I think it's really funny that you just didn't count out the numbers in the final five round and I honestly didn't approach you that round about it since I thought Hulk was such a clear cut vote out that round given his lack of engagement. So I'm mixed. I respect you taking a shot at me as a threat, but by the same token if you wanted to get out the Hulk/DDad duo at all it's pretty clear literally not paying attention to the amount of people left in a late game round of a strategy game was a pretty damning error when you're preaching the merits of the strategy game. I want to give you my vote and I think in the future you can potentially play a really great strategic game in the right context if you put your mind to it the whole way through. I appreciate the hustle, but I just think your game was ultimately a bit sloppy. Overall you've had a terrifc starting year around these parts and I'm really looking forward to seeing you hone your skills in the future.

@Disney Dad 3000 - You get my vote. Plain and simple. I think unlike Hulk you never had any sort of lull in your activity even if Hulk's lulls have been somewhat warranted based on trips and personal circumstances. I really respect the way you've effectively managed your threat level throughout the season which is obviously something I had an issue with. You've played a really excellent social game even if most of that "game" is just your natural personality. As I said in my opening speech, I think you've played the "Assistant Coach" role to perfection and while Hulk might have some of the more flashy contributions I definitely see you as the overall consistent of the power duo. You should absolutely be proud of how you navigated this season and made it to the end without ever having much of a target on your back despite always being in the top rankings of contributions. That takes some serious skill. You're a long time veteran of the board and with all due respect to SYWTBAI17 I think you deserve a W in a game that's been a bit more competitive!

A big thanks once again to @tcool123 for a great hosting job and I'm stoked for how the rest of this will play out!

tcool123

Original Poster
The Vote for the Final Two Results

Welcome @D Hulk , @Disney Dad 3000 and @MickeyWaffleCo. to the Vote for the Final Two. It is time to tally up the votes to see who will be making it into the final two! The top two players will move onto the finale of The Imaginarium!

@MickeyWaffleCo.
@D Hulk

1 Vote for @MickeyWaffleCo. , 0 Votes for @Disney Dad 3000 , 1 Vote for @D Hulk

@D Hulk
@Disney Dad 3000

3 Votes for @MickeyWaffleCo. , 3 Votes for @Disney Dad 3000 , 2 Votes for @D Hulk

@MickeyWaffleCo.
@D Hulk

5 Votes for @MickeyWaffleCo. , 4 Votes for @Disney Dad 3000 , 3 Votes for @D Hulk

Our final two will comprise of ....

@Disney Dad 3000

and

@MickeyWaffleCo.

Thank you @D Hulk for participating in The Imaginarium! You have done amazing work, and I hope to see you continue this amazing work in your time here in the Imagineering forum.

Please stay tuned for the next phase of the Imaginarium.

tcool123

Original Poster
Finale Dream Teams

1638422667805.png

Welcome @Disney Dad 3000 and @MickeyWaffleCo. to the crafting of your finale teams consisting of past players and guest judges. You each will be drafting three armchair imagineers to join your teams. You each will take turns picking a player to join your team, and the first pick will be going to @MickeyWaffleCo.

Draftable Roster
@Shannoninthemagic
@spacemt354
@JokersWild
@ThemeParkPriest
@TheOriginalTiki
@D Hulk

@Disney Dad 3000 and @MickeyWaffleCo. you have until Saturday, December 4th at 11:59 PM EST to craft your teams.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom