Trip Report The "I Can't See!!" Trip Report

Welcome everyone!! I'm so excited to get started on this TR!! I wanted to start it a week or so ago but life gets in the way.... I finally have some time to devote to this so here we go!!!

WHO: "The same old, same old crew": myself, my nephew J & my sister E

WHERE: The usual:) Port Orleans Riverside

WHEN: Sunday, February 3rd-Thursday, February 7th

THE REASON FOR THE TITLE:
All this and I still couldn't see!!:arghh: My vision issues came into play many times during this trip.

To explain this a bit.....
A few weeks before the trip I went for my yearly eye exam. My doctor said my eyes were extremely dry so she prescribed me steroid drops to take for a week. When I went back a week later she said I could order glasses but wanted me to try different contacts before I ordered them. She felt given my dry eyes my best bet was going to be contacts that are disposed of daily(they're awesome but not cheap in the least). She gave me a bunch of samples but unfortunately she didn't have any samples in the multifocals. She said that I would have to use readers with the contacts since the samples were only for distance. But her main concern at that point was figuring out which contacts would be most comfortable for me. My new glasses came in three days before we left so I was able to have them but to be totally honest--I ABSOLUTELY HATE WEARING GLASSES. Reasons: Can't wear sunglasses, get spotted in the rain, fog up when you go from the cold into the heat, & the biggest thing for me--my perception(esp. walking down steps) is totally different with glasses--you don't know how many times I trip when I have them on!! I've worn contacts since high school so I'm used to them & that's what I prefer. I will admit for years I would sleep with them in, wake up, squirt some saline in my eyes & I was good to go. If you're reading this & have that habit please stop it now. It's what caused my dry eyes & even though it's not the worst problem to have it's still not comfortable.

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 2ND
I was double checking my suitcase & happened to jump on MDE. It was like deja vu(this happened when we were there in September also). E & J's reservation was showing but mine was nowhere to be found.

I closed out, opened the app again then was able to breathe a sigh of relief.

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 3RD
I was awakened shortly after midnight by a text from E. Uh-oh, trouble already & we haven't left yet!!

Keep in mind my last text to her--it will come into play later!!

When I got up that morning it hit me like a ton of bricks'"If she doesn't have luggage tags she's not set up for ME then either". I texted her to let her know that but she never responded. Our flight wasn't leaving until 1:45 that afternoon so she & I both went to work that morning. We ran into each other at Starbucks(what's the chances of that:hilarious:)on our way to our works. I asked her if she saw the text I sent her that morning & she said no. I told her she probably was going to have an issue with the ME. She said she would call them after she took care of a few things at work.

We left at 11:45 for the airport. We wanted to leave a little earlier but E's husband didn't think it was necessary since it was a Sunday & there wouldn't be too much traffic and b/c we had TSA Precheck.
J's excited to go!!

J & I couldn't really talk on the way to the airport. E & her husband are both funeral directors and they were both on their phones making arrangements for two different families at the same time. Those conversations sounded pretty interesting let me tell you....
Side note:the best is when we're in line for something at Disney & she's on the phone with work & says something like "Did someone pick him up from the morgue yet?" You should see the looks she gets!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

E hard at work....

I bet you can tell which suitcase is mine.

We bid farewell to E's husband & headed to the non existent TSA Precheck line!!

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
Looks like a fun show and how cute that J got up and danced! :) I have no will power when it comes to sweets at WDW either! :)
It really is a fun show. We always make it a point to see it while we are there. J has seen his show quite a few times so he knew what was coming & wanted to dance!!

I was surprised I was able to refrain from the cupcake as long as I did. Disney has some of the best cupcakes--it's all about the icing!!

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 7TH

I headed out a little after 7 for my last walk of the trip.

This guy was just hanging out. It was so cute!!

He really didn't seem phased when that CM pulled in. Probably used to it.

I think this picture is post card worthy!!

This one's not too shabby either!!

I finished up my walk & headed back to the room to shower and pack.

I know I mentioned earlier that I always throw out my loofah at the end of the trip. But, there was no way I was leaving the $10 sea sponge that I only used twice behind. I squeezed and squeezed that thing until I got every last drop of water out of it so I could pack it. I really don't know what my plans for it are because it didn't work nowhere near as well as a loofah & frankly I don't like it. Maybe I'll give it to my dad to wash the car with? :hilarious:

While packing up I watched the must do's for the last time. On a side note, I always get bummed when, for example, I've already been to AK for the trip. Even though I still may have 5 days left in my stay I'm sad when I see the must do's for a park that I'm not going back to. Am I strange?? I'm hoping there are at least a few of you out there that feel the way I do.

I bid my room farewell, checked my luggage in & headed to The Riverside Mill to meet E & J who were there having breakfast.

J was enjoying his Mickey waffle!!

Songbird76

It IS all about the icing ... something they don’t do well in Europe ☹
It's not just the frosting they don't do well in Europe. They aren't good at cupcakes, brownies, cheesecake, cinnamon rolls...I have to make everything myself because they just don't make the good stuff here. Pastries are fine here, but anything cake-y is dense and dry.

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
Interestingly I am not a fan of wdw cupcakes because of the frosting. It's just a bit too much, and I have a really sweet tooth. I prefer the British fairy cakes with glace icing.
Now these sound super sweet to me!!
I could read the Email ------- vet appt, and Marty called wants C------, and School meeting 10/20/11 -------- (I thought it says 20, not 22. I was close.)
Am I the only one who can't make this out?? I guess I still can't see!!
It's not just the frosting they don't do well in Europe. They aren't good at cupcakes, brownies, cheesecake, cinnamon rolls...I have to make everything myself because they just don't make the good stuff here. Pastries are fine here, but anything cake-y is dense and dry.
That's a bummer😢

susan lees

That's a bummer😢
Ha ha that's true, maybe it's the ratio of frosting to cake over there. My favourite desert in wdw are cinnamon buns especially gastons and if course the famous pofq beinets 😍

Songbird76

That's a bummer😢
It's ok for me....I can make my own and then they are good. I feel bad for all the poor deprived people who don't know what a good brownie is, or what a cupcake with frosting SHOULD taste like.

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
Ha ha that's true, maybe it's the ratio of frosting to cake over there. My favourite desert in wdw are cinnamon buns especially gastons and if course the famous pofq beinets 😍
The beignets are one of my favorites also!!
It's ok for me....I can make my own and then they are good. I feel bad for all the poor deprived people who don't know what a good brownie is, or what a cupcake with frosting SHOULD taste like.
Well, at least they don't know what they're missing!!
I'm not a fan of ice cream either. The coldness kills my sensitive teeth. My only ice cream exception at Disney is when it's melting on top of the 'Ohana bread pudding. Yum!!!
I'm in total agreement with you!!

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 7TH

We had about an hour before the TE was due to pick us up. E wanted to walk to FQ to check out the gift shop there.

I commented on how cute these cups were but how impractical they are. How would you drink out of them?

One last stroll through Riverside.

We hung out in The River Roost for a bit. E was in Fulton's & J asked if we could do some selfies. BTW--I was so over not being able to see that I ended up wearing my glasses that day.

One last glance at the lobby....

and The River Roost.

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 7TH

We made our way outside & enjoyed our last few minutes of sunshine. We don't get much in the way of sunshine in our neck of the woods!!

I told J to smile & this was what I got.

Now he was laughing at me b/c he kept turning his head every time I went to take a picture.

The dreaded moment had arrived.

Ha--he had his mother's phone this time!!

We made a stop at Fort Wilderness before we headed to the airport.

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 7TH

I just realized that writing this part of the TR is almost as bad as the end of the trip itself is.

J wanted to get his picture taken with Goofy.

I wanted to go in the Universal Store to get some candy for my niece.

I got her jelly beans this time.

And J needed another car.

E got pizza while I went next door and got a hoagie at Jersey Mike's Subs.

J had buttered noodles.

We got Starbucks and headed to the gate. This gentleman thought his laptop was so important that it needed it's own seat.:rolleyes:

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 7TH

With no candy to entertain him J read the safety instructions.

I was excited that one of my favorite shows was on!!

Towards the end of the flight there was a ton of turbulence. It was raining in Pittsburgh--surprise, surprise....that's all it does here.

J said he didn't feel well and thought he was going to throw up. E & I thought that the turbulence had got to him. He kept saying the whole way home that he was sick but he ended up being fine.

We landed at 4:30 so we were driving home during rush hour. Because of that I knew it would take us a bit longer than normal but never did I expect almost 1 hour & 45 minutes!! I guess we can blame it on the rain......

By the time I got home it was a monsoon. I didn't even want to take my suitcase out of the car it was raining so hard!!
I took these to show how hard it was raining but they really don't do it justice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom