Trip Report The "I Can't See!!" Trip Report

Welcome everyone!! I'm so excited to get started on this TR!! I wanted to start it a week or so ago but life gets in the way.... I finally have some time to devote to this so here we go!!!

WHO: "The same old, same old crew": myself, my nephew J & my sister E

WHERE: The usual:) Port Orleans Riverside

WHEN: Sunday, February 3rd-Thursday, February 7th

THE REASON FOR THE TITLE:
All this and I still couldn't see!!:arghh: My vision issues came into play many times during this trip.

To explain this a bit.....
A few weeks before the trip I went for my yearly eye exam. My doctor said my eyes were extremely dry so she prescribed me steroid drops to take for a week. When I went back a week later she said I could order glasses but wanted me to try different contacts before I ordered them. She felt given my dry eyes my best bet was going to be contacts that are disposed of daily(they're awesome but not cheap in the least). She gave me a bunch of samples but unfortunately she didn't have any samples in the multifocals. She said that I would have to use readers with the contacts since the samples were only for distance. But her main concern at that point was figuring out which contacts would be most comfortable for me. My new glasses came in three days before we left so I was able to have them but to be totally honest--I ABSOLUTELY HATE WEARING GLASSES. Reasons: Can't wear sunglasses, get spotted in the rain, fog up when you go from the cold into the heat, & the biggest thing for me--my perception(esp. walking down steps) is totally different with glasses--you don't know how many times I trip when I have them on!! I've worn contacts since high school so I'm used to them & that's what I prefer. I will admit for years I would sleep with them in, wake up, squirt some saline in my eyes & I was good to go. If you're reading this & have that habit please stop it now. It's what caused my dry eyes & even though it's not the worst problem to have it's still not comfortable.

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 2ND
I was double checking my suitcase & happened to jump on MDE. It was like deja vu(this happened when we were there in September also). E & J's reservation was showing but mine was nowhere to be found.

I closed out, opened the app again then was able to breathe a sigh of relief.

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 3RD
I was awakened shortly after midnight by a text from E. Uh-oh, trouble already & we haven't left yet!!

Keep in mind my last text to her--it will come into play later!!

When I got up that morning it hit me like a ton of bricks'"If she doesn't have luggage tags she's not set up for ME then either". I texted her to let her know that but she never responded. Our flight wasn't leaving until 1:45 that afternoon so she & I both went to work that morning. We ran into each other at Starbucks(what's the chances of that:hilarious:)on our way to our works. I asked her if she saw the text I sent her that morning & she said no. I told her she probably was going to have an issue with the ME. She said she would call them after she took care of a few things at work.

We left at 11:45 for the airport. We wanted to leave a little earlier but E's husband didn't think it was necessary since it was a Sunday & there wouldn't be too much traffic and b/c we had TSA Precheck.
J's excited to go!!

J & I couldn't really talk on the way to the airport. E & her husband are both funeral directors and they were both on their phones making arrangements for two different families at the same time. Those conversations sounded pretty interesting let me tell you....
Side note:the best is when we're in line for something at Disney & she's on the phone with work & says something like "Did someone pick him up from the morgue yet?" You should see the looks she gets!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

E hard at work....

I bet you can tell which suitcase is mine.

We bid farewell to E's husband & headed to the non existent TSA Precheck line!!

fractal

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 3RD

According to the time on this picture we were home at 5:22!! We dropped E's carry-on off at bell services & headed to catch a bus to MK!!
We knew it was only open until 9:00 but E made a couple of FP's for us & we figured we could get dinner there. We also said that by going for the evening it would ensure that we would watch HEA--something we normally don't do. We were also hoping it wouldn't be that crowded since the Super Bowl was that evening.
View attachment 352082

We went to the South Depot & a bus pulled in right away.
View attachment 352083

J immediately headed to his favorite spot--the back of the bus.
View attachment 352084

As usual, I sat with him while E stayed on the lower part with the stroller.
View attachment 352089

Security was a breeze!!
View attachment 352085

I absolutely LOVE this picture!!
View attachment 352086

We saw a PP photographer and there wasn't a single soul around so we decided to get our picture taken. When she asked if we would like a few with our phones also I'm so glad we said yes b/c none of the photos ended up in our accounts(that happens more often than not anymore).

J said he wanted some pictures with just him & his mom first.
View attachment 352087

I love this one!!
View attachment 352088

Then I was granted permission to join the party!!
View attachment 352090

View attachment 352091
Beautiful light in these shots!

LeighM

I couldn't help but laugh at this memory. I have depth perception problems on a good day but I had to wear my glasses to work once and I also have more issues with that in glasses. The building in which I worked had that ugly green speckled floor that was so common in the late 60s and early 70s. They even had it on the stairs, which is where my issue was coming into play LOL. I was taking the stairs into the basement where the mailroom was located. Because of the pattern on the linoleum, I couldn't tell where one stair ended and another began. And I ended up falling down the stairs. Luckily, I didn't hurt myself (well besides my ego!) but I learned to not wear my glasses there anymore :joyfull: Ask your optometrist if there are any other kinds of CooperVision contacts that might work with your eyes. They make a pair for almost every eye problem. Love them!

I almost switched over to Riverside but then I realized for the price of switching resorts, I could do a day at the water parks and the Wild Africa Trek. I would love to stay at Riverside but I guess I have to wait until 2021 when I go back for my birthday. And maybe the discounts will be a little bit more reasonable since all the construction will be finished at Coronado and Caribbean Beach. Fingers crossed!!

riverside

Original Poster
Love those evening MK shots!!

I will look for you around the PO properties!!
Thanks!!

I will keep an eye out for you also!!:)
The colors in your train station shot are beautiful!
I thought the same :)
Beautiful light in these shots!
Following along! And I agree - your MK pics are gorgeous. Such beautiful golden light!
Thanks!! I guess I was at the right place at the right time. They were taken with my phone so it's not like I had a nice camera. That literally was the calm before the storm b/c within 15 minutes of being in MK it started raining!!
Finally caught up and enjoying the trip report, looking forward to the rest!
Thank you for reading!!
The man behind J has tiny legs!
I looked at the picture again & I see how it looks like they could be his b/c you can barely see his kid!!:joyfull:
Following along and looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip.
Thank you very much!!
I couldn't help but laugh at this memory. I have depth perception problems on a good day but I had to wear my glasses to work once and I also have more issues with that in glasses. The building in which I worked had that ugly green speckled floor that was so common in the late 60s and early 70s. They even had it on the stairs, which is where my issue was coming into play LOL. I was taking the stairs into the basement where the mailroom was located. Because of the pattern on the linoleum, I couldn't tell where one stair ended and another began. And I ended up falling down the stairs. Luckily, I didn't hurt myself (well besides my ego!) but I learned to not wear my glasses there anymore :joyfull: Ask your optometrist if there are any other kinds of CooperVision contacts that might work with your eyes. They make a pair for almost every eye problem. Love them!
I'm glad you didn't get hurt!! I totally understand exactly what you're saying. I have an issue with patterns esp. on floors. In high school my math teacher, Sister Anna Marie(super sweet woman), had this one dress she wore quite frequently. I hated math to begin with so when I would walk in her room & she was wearing this particular dress I wanted to cry. The pattern was so awful & it reminded me of a broken television screen. I would seriously get a headache during her class & I couldn't concentrate!!
I almost switched over to Riverside but then I realized for the price of switching resorts, I could do a day at the water parks and the Wild Africa Trek. I would love to stay at Riverside but I guess I have to wait until 2021 when I go back for my birthday. And maybe the discounts will be a little bit more reasonable since all the construction will be finished at Coronado and Caribbean Beach. Fingers crossed!!
The Wild Africa Trek sounds like it would be a lot of fun so maybe it's worth the sacrifice!! At least you have your birthday trip to look forward to & it will make staying at Riverside that much more special!! Some reasonable discounts would be nice--POR really hasn't had any in quite awhile.
You can count me in to follow! Thanks for sharing!!
Thanks for following!!

riverside

Original Poster
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 3RD

The window was closing in on our first FP so we headed straight to Mickey & Minnie to see them in their party attire!!

This was so funny--J noticed that the CM asking everyone how many was in their party so I guess he really wanted to be ready when it was our turn b/c he stood there with three fingers out the whole time!!

Festive party decorations!!

Minnie was making a big deal of the heart sticker(that he got from the Southwest agent) that J had on his shirt.

I think Mickey liked it too!!

riverside

Original Poster
SUNDAY. FEBRUARY 3RD

The CM's asked if E & I would like to join in on the fun so we did!!

Not sure if J was really feeling it. He reminds me of a rag doll in this photo!!

Some party merchandise in the gift shop as you exit. Mickey's hat is so cute!!

The following photos are the PP pics. This CM took a ton so I guess it makes up for the ones that we took when we first got there that never showed up!!

I like this one a lot!!

riverside

Original Poster
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 3RD

As we exited Celebration Central it was very obvious that the heavens were going to let loose any second.

As soon as we got our first glimpse of the castle the rain started coming down.

We asked J where he wanted to eat for dinner & he picked Casey's so we went in the Emporium while we mobile ordered. As a limited time offering they had Loaded Buffalo Chicken Fries. I was really torn b/c I like the corn dog nuggets but I decided to try the fries. E got the fries also.

WOW--E & I were both thrilled with our choice. They were excellent!! I see that they are still on the menu so I highly suggest you try them if you have the chance.

We found a table outside to stand at so J stayed in the stroller while he ate his dinner. And lucky for me he didn't eat all his corn dog nuggets so I got to have a few!! I had the best of both worlds going right then!!

We headed towards our last FP & the sky was getting pretty creepy looking.

With some time to spare before it we went into Memento Mori. I bought this for myself. I use it to put my jewelry on it at night.

I bought this talking doom buggy for J. I liked it so much that I told E I was going to convince myself by the end of trip why I really needed to get one for myself. Unfortunately, I never did though.

Our FP window opened up for a "recent" favorite of J's: "A Haunted Mansion":hilarious:

riverside

Original Poster
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 3RD

J wanted to ride IASW next. He & I headed that way while E went to get the stroller. I was having him pose for a picture & I swear the guy in the background wouldn't move on purpose. I had to keep moving J but I couldn't get a good shot so this is what I ended up with. Not like the park was packed & there was nowhere for him to go.....

The wait time said 20 minutes but we pretty much walked right on.

See this hand......UGGHH!!

At the bottom of the picture are my knees. Multiple times during the "happiest cruise that ever sailed" he would move his hand back & he would touch my knees. After about the third time you think he would have moved his hand but noooo......

So, here's how I remember things for my TR's. I take pictures of things that I don't want to forget. When I get back to the resort in the evening I go through them & write notes. I took this one to remind myself that J was singing away through the whole ride. I love kids reactions on this ride!!

J wanted to ride the carousel next so E headed in one direction to get the stroller while J & I headed the opposite way to get on the carousel. Only we couldn't get on. They weren't letting anyone else on until after the fireworks were over. I told him we would come back later.

J & I found a spot near Crystal Palace to watch HEA while E got us Starbucks. I only took a few pictures. I'm sorry to say I'm just not into this show. I guess I'm still bitter about Wishes.....

E made it back to us during the show.

riverside

Original Poster
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 3RD

MK was open until 9. J said he wanted to ride some more. So, instead of heading out with the masses we took advantage of pretty much walking on a few rides. First up was the Jungle Cruise. J tried to go through the FP line & we told him we didn't have a FP. The CM told him that was ok & he could go through anyways(there wasn't anyone in line to begin with).

We tried to get him to ride Pirates but he turned that down & said he wanted to go on the flying carpets.

We decided to head out. The bus lines were still long. We ended up getting on the 3rd POR bus that came while we were in line but we really didn't wait long at all. J & I sat in the back while E stayed up front with the stroller.

We walked through Fulton's when we got back. I thought this was so cute!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom