Trip Report The "I Can't See!!" Trip Report

Welcome everyone!! I'm so excited to get started on this TR!! I wanted to start it a week or so ago but life gets in the way.... I finally have some time to devote to this so here we go!!!

WHO: "The same old, same old crew": myself, my nephew J & my sister E

WHERE: The usual:) Port Orleans Riverside

WHEN: Sunday, February 3rd-Thursday, February 7th

THE REASON FOR THE TITLE:
All this and I still couldn't see!!:arghh: My vision issues came into play many times during this trip.

To explain this a bit.....
A few weeks before the trip I went for my yearly eye exam. My doctor said my eyes were extremely dry so she prescribed me steroid drops to take for a week. When I went back a week later she said I could order glasses but wanted me to try different contacts before I ordered them. She felt given my dry eyes my best bet was going to be contacts that are disposed of daily(they're awesome but not cheap in the least). She gave me a bunch of samples but unfortunately she didn't have any samples in the multifocals. She said that I would have to use readers with the contacts since the samples were only for distance. But her main concern at that point was figuring out which contacts would be most comfortable for me. My new glasses came in three days before we left so I was able to have them but to be totally honest--I ABSOLUTELY HATE WEARING GLASSES. Reasons: Can't wear sunglasses, get spotted in the rain, fog up when you go from the cold into the heat, & the biggest thing for me--my perception(esp. walking down steps) is totally different with glasses--you don't know how many times I trip when I have them on!! I've worn contacts since high school so I'm used to them & that's what I prefer. I will admit for years I would sleep with them in, wake up, squirt some saline in my eyes & I was good to go. If you're reading this & have that habit please stop it now. It's what caused my dry eyes & even though it's not the worst problem to have it's still not comfortable.

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 2ND
I was double checking my suitcase & happened to jump on MDE. It was like deja vu(this happened when we were there in September also). E & J's reservation was showing but mine was nowhere to be found.

I closed out, opened the app again then was able to breathe a sigh of relief.

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 3RD
I was awakened shortly after midnight by a text from E. Uh-oh, trouble already & we haven't left yet!!

Keep in mind my last text to her--it will come into play later!!

When I got up that morning it hit me like a ton of bricks'"If she doesn't have luggage tags she's not set up for ME then either". I texted her to let her know that but she never responded. Our flight wasn't leaving until 1:45 that afternoon so she & I both went to work that morning. We ran into each other at Starbucks(what's the chances of that:hilarious:)on our way to our works. I asked her if she saw the text I sent her that morning & she said no. I told her she probably was going to have an issue with the ME. She said she would call them after she took care of a few things at work.

We left at 11:45 for the airport. We wanted to leave a little earlier but E's husband didn't think it was necessary since it was a Sunday & there wouldn't be too much traffic and b/c we had TSA Precheck.
J's excited to go!!

J & I couldn't really talk on the way to the airport. E & her husband are both funeral directors and they were both on their phones making arrangements for two different families at the same time. Those conversations sounded pretty interesting let me tell you....
Side note:the best is when we're in line for something at Disney & she's on the phone with work & says something like "Did someone pick him up from the morgue yet?" You should see the looks she gets!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

E hard at work....

I bet you can tell which suitcase is mine.

We bid farewell to E's husband & headed to the non existent TSA Precheck line!!

PacNWTigger

I am along for the ride. Totally on your side when it comes to wearing glasses. My depth perception stinks when I wear mine too. I use a peroxide solution Clear Care+ for my contacts because I tend to get buildup (because I don't always change them as often as I should :oops:). The biggest hitch is that you have to let the contacts soak for at least 6 hours before wearing them again or else it can burn a bit when you put them in. I had to wear my glasses for a day at WDW last year, and it bugged my guy that I took his arm a lot because I couldn't always make out the different grades as well as usual. :cautious:

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
Premium Member
I used to be strictly contacts until I had to get glasses for chemistry labs. I wore both for a while and then went to only glasses unless it’s a wedding or other fancy event.

One year I had extra FSA money and bought prescription sunglasses. Totally worth it (for me at least).

Excited to follow along. It looks like there’s some overlap with my recent trip. Curious to see how our experiences compare and to see if I show up in any pictures. 😉

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
Yay another @riverside report! I hate you had trouble with your eyes but so have to say I am glad to hear I am not the only one that struggles with glasses. I have dry eyes too- used to sleep in contacts as well, a lot! The doctor made me get glasses because I never wore them at all. I am supposed to give myself a break from contacts but they make me dizzy sick and I swear I can’t see that well with them. I have had headaches since I got the stupid things. Like bad migraines. The contacts I use are Bio True one day and as long as I take them out of the evening and use the blink drops my eyes feel much better. I don’t have to have multi focals or readers yet. Just hate using the glasses when my contacts are out.
Wow--if I didn't know better I would think you were me talking!! We have exactly the same issues!!
I've become a fan of the one day contacts b/c I do think they are better for your eyes. I hope you don't need multi focals anytime soon. The cheapest I could find them(& I had to buy a year's supply at once to get the price)was at Sam's Club. They came to $1.95 a pair!! Pricey but since I manage to spend a small fortune at Starbucks on a daily basis I put this into perspective & figured it was worth it.
Yay! I always really enjoy your reports! Sorry about the contacts issue, I would be very sad if I had to give them up anytime soon. I am not a fan of glasses all the time either.
Thank you!! My mom keeps telling me I should give up on them but I refuse to throw in the towel!!
I use to wear contacts, but as I got older, I started wearing glasses for some reason. I only use them for distance, so I wear them on top of my head 90% of the time.

Can't wait to hear about the rest of your adventures!
My mom is the same--wore contacts for years than stopped. I wish I only needed them for distance--needing the multifocals & the progressives for the glasses really adds an extra expense to this whole thing!!

Thank you very much!!
I also have extremely dry eyes and the only contacts I can comfortably wear are the CooperVision ProClear. I once had a new optometrist that refused to prescribe them for me because she said they were "outdated technology" and she had me try 4 different types of contacts and none of them worked. I demanded to see a new doctor and he said that they ones she was giving me were known to not work with "heavy protein depositers" like I was, which was making these contacts even more uncomfortable on my dry eyes. So he gave me my beloved ProClears and said "if it's not broke, don't fix it" LOL. A former coworker was suffering with dry eyes at work and I suggested he talk to his doctor about the CooperVision brand. He asked so the doctor gave him the Biofinity I think and he said it was the most comfortable pair of contacts he's ever worn. Contacts will still bother me but much later in the day and nothing that Refresh eye drops and ClearCare solution can't fix. Turns out the solution I was using was part of the problem. I can only wear my glasses at home where I'm not focusing on many things at one time. If I wear glasses out for too long then I'll get bad migraines and painful pressure on my nose and ears.

Looking forward to hearing more about your trip. I tried convincing the husband to switch resorts to Riverside but he didn't like the extra $600. So it was a no go :( But I was more annoyed to see that the Sun and Fun offer only offered $5 off the rack room price. Only $5?!!!!
Interesting how many of us are saying that glasses give us headaches!! I prefer to only wear mine at home b/c I have an awful time driving with them on when it's dark. There is so much glare it's unreal. I've never heard of that brand of contacts. I'm glad you stuck with the ones that you like!!

$600 is a big difference but I have been so bummed when I've stayed elsewhere that I'd probably still have to stick with Riverside. Only $5--really, why bother!!
Excited for another Riverside TR :)
Thank you very much!!
I have been wearing glasses for over 30 years — cannot stand anything on my eyeballs.
More often than not people say that & that they would be afraid to put their fingers in their eyes.
I get these - I can get them for $20 at Walgreens or BJ’s. They cause no extra pain and the price is great, since if I go prescription sunglasses, I could buy 20 of these sunglasses. And I use them when I play tennis.
I'll keep that in mind. You can't beat the price so it would probably be handy to have a pair or two around. Thanks!!
I am along for the ride. Totally on your side when it comes to wearing glasses. My depth perception stinks when I wear mine too. I use a peroxide solution Clear Care+ for my contacts because I tend to get buildup (because I don't always change them as often as I should :oops:). The biggest hitch is that you have to let the contacts soak for at least 6 hours before wearing them again or else it can burn a bit when you put them in. I had to wear my glasses for a day at WDW last year, and it bugged my guy that I took his arm a lot because I couldn't always make out the different grades as well as usual. :cautious:
I'm glad I am not the only one who feels that way about the depth perception. I never changed mine enough either so I can only imagine the buildup that collected on mine over the years!!:oops:
I used to be strictly contacts until I had to get glasses for chemistry labs. I wore both for a while and then went to only glasses unless it’s a wedding or other fancy event.

One year I had extra FSA money and bought prescription sunglasses. Totally worth it (for me at least).

Excited to follow along. It looks like there’s some overlap with my recent trip. Curious to see how our experiences compare and to see if I show up in any pictures. 😉
I thought about prescription sunglasses but for as much as I wear glasses I don't think it would be worth it for me. I'm glad it works out for you though!!

Thanks!! That would be a bummer....to be so close yet so far away......
Yay another Riverside and friends trip report! Can't wait to see more. :)
Thank you!! It was a short trip but we managed to get a lot in!!
J!! I find it shocking that he didn’t read the safety instructions. :hilarious:

I remembered that you had an early Feb trip planned and was starting to wonder if we were gonna get a TR or not. Glad you have time to start it! Can’t wait to read more!
I know--maybe he thinks he's a pro & doesn't need to read them anymore or his love for candy beat out the safety instructions!! My guess is the latter!! Don't worry though--he read them on the return flight home!!

Thanks!! I'm glad I take notes b/c it feels like it was forever ago & I would have forgot most of the stuff by now!!
Following along, I love your trip reports!
Thank you so much!!:D
Following along! I'm staying for the first time at POFQ this June, so I hope to make it over to your Riverside several times from there :)
It's not that far of a walk & it's very pretty. Also, I know someone;) who is going to be at Riverside the same time you're at FQ!!
Alright then
Let’s get this trip report..

Rolling (rolling)
Rolling ( rolling)
Rolling down to Riverside

Rolling down to Riverside!!!!!!!!!

Max
You're ingenious Max!! We can always count on something witty from you!!
And let me guess

Did you leave your good job in the city - to go on this trip??
I am ashamed to admit this but I can be a complete airhead at times. So, I read this post & said to myself "How does Max know that I work in the city?":banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
Then it hit me--let's just say I wasn't too "Proud" of myself at that moment
Yay a new Riverside TR! I totally feel you on the contacts! I’ve worn mine for 40 years and this last 6 months I’ve been wearing glasses much more frequently because my eyes get so dry. Glad J and E were able to get on the ME! Looking forward to the rest of your adventure!
With so many on here commenting about having dry eyes I have to believe that all of our modern day technology items aren't helping us. I'm sure the contacts have a lot to do with it but I'm sure computers etc. add to the issue. I was glad they got on also. Thank you so much & I'm enjoying yours!!
Count me in. Looking forward to it!
Thank you very much!!
I'm loving your trip report, as always!
Are you a good candidate for LASIK? I had it done in 2003 and it's the best thing I've ever done for myself.
Looking forward to the rest of your report!
Thank you so much!!
Every time I think of Lasik I want to cry. I was supposed to have it done years ago. Went through all the pre-stuff, didn't wear my contacts for something like 6 weeks etc. The day of the procedure came & I finally meet the guy that's going to do it. I walked in the room, he looked at my chart for a few minutes then looked at my eyes. He sat back & told me he was sorry but he would not do the procedure. He asked me if I had a night vision issue to which I replied yes. He told me that he knew I did b/c my pupils were like 2 millimeters bigger than the average & with larger pupils you have a night vision issue. With Lasik most people have a temporary night vision problem that goes away but they found with people that already have an issue it actually gets worse & doesn't go away. He said if he did the procedure he would be forced to notify the state that I would have to be restricted to daylight only driving therefore, he would not do it. He said it wasn't worth it. I was very disappointed but appreciated his honesty & concern for my driving needs as opposed to his pocketbook. The thing that really irritated me was that during all those appointments prior to the procedure why didn't any of the other doctors see this issue?

Thanks so much!!
As always following along! Love to read your trips!
Thank you very much!!
I'm finally here! Sorry to hear about the rough start to the trip (at least it was easily remedied!), hope things got better!
Yay!! Thanks--E did have one more issue that evening but after that it was all good!!
Following along! Can't wait for more walks around Riverside :D
Thanks!! There were walks everyday!! Spoiler:I even got lost at Riverside during one one of them!! I still can't believe it!!
Following along. I have similar priorities to J. Food first 😂😂
Thanks for following!! Funny how I couldn't get him to eat 2 more bites of mac & cheese 10 minutes before that but he suddenly got his appetite back just in time for the candy!!

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 3RD

According to the time on this picture we were home at 5:22!! We dropped E's carry-on off at bell services & headed to catch a bus to MK!!
We knew it was only open until 9:00 but E made a couple of FP's for us & we figured we could get dinner there. We also said that by going for the evening it would ensure that we would watch HEA--something we normally don't do. We were also hoping it wouldn't be that crowded since the Super Bowl was that evening.

We went to the South Depot & a bus pulled in right away.

J immediately headed to his favorite spot--the back of the bus.

As usual, I sat with him while E stayed on the lower part with the stroller.

Security was a breeze!!

I absolutely LOVE this picture!!

We saw a PP photographer and there wasn't a single soul around so we decided to get our picture taken. When she asked if we would like a few with our phones also I'm so glad we said yes b/c none of the photos ended up in our accounts(that happens more often than not anymore).

J said he wanted some pictures with just him & his mom first.

I love this one!!

Then I was granted permission to join the party!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom