The "House of Magic" shop at Magic Kingdom

YodaMan

My childhood is a blur at this point, but does anyone else remember a short segment on the Disney that was a couple of minutes long that includes short magic tricks being performed at the store? Or is this something I've made up by confusing old memories?

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
My childhood is a blur at this point, but does anyone else remember a short segment on the Disney that was a couple of minutes long that includes short magic tricks being performed at the store? Or is this something I've made up by confusing old memories?

Don't remember that but it sounds like it could be a good way to slowly reestablish the store facade as an actual magic shop again if they so choose. Little video segments of a quick trick then at the next commercial break show how the trick was done with a throw away tagline and advert about experiencing more magic at Walt Disney World. Now that I think about it Disney could take that as a jump off point to rebrand DisneyXD with a refocused block of showcasing hobbies, skills and activities using it's cartoon series and shows.

Wow! This post took a turn in a different direction. lol I think showing magic tricks on the channel would be pretty cool; especially if it could make the House of Magic reappear.

JBIRDTO

Wow I remember I had a shrunken skull witch head that glowed in the dark from the original store. Also lots of fun magic tricks. Wow what a store it was. I do wish they could theme each section of the emporium a bit more to allow for some unique experiences. I know they need traffic flow. It could be done. This is what Disney is so good at.

Now to the basement to look for that head!

POLY LOVER

So do I understand this correctly they brought back the house of magic store front but there are no magic items in the store?

durangojim

Wow I remember I had a shrunken skull witch head that glowed in the dark from the original store. Also lots of fun magic tricks. Wow what a store it was. I do wish they could theme each section of the emporium a bit more to allow for some unique experiences. I know they need traffic flow. It could be done. This is what Disney is so good at.

OMG! I have one of the skulls too! I keep it in my office in a little display case of some of my Disneyana stuff. I'll post a pic later. That place was such great fun!

MrPromey

I know they need traffic flow. It could be done. This is what Disney is so good at.

If they brought it back the way they had it, they'd still have traffic flow. The original was a small store that had a back entrance/exit that went straight into the penny arcade which wrapped behind it. Not that I would want to get anyone's hopes up but if they were to bring it back like that, the b-line straight through the Main Street Walmart Emporium could be preserved.

Ransom

Really, the whole park should be a facade. Take a look at it from the monorail, a nearby resort, or the Seven Seas Lagoon and be amazed at the Potemkin park. Profits would skyrocket!

MrPromey

While I know we won't see the real magic shop again, it would be nice to introduce some magic-themed items in that section of the larger store. That one room having that theme, at least.

Agreed!

Crowds today may not make it practical to have a counter with guys willing to demo tricks and such but yeah, they could have some cool unique merchandise in that section and a place to check out that would keep the "one giant store" approach going but more like a department store with... well, departments.

It would be nice with the announced expansion, if Main Street could go back to being an actual themed land with more in the way of attractions other than the train station and live entertainment that may or may not be happening at the moment you're there. It really felt like the Penny Arcade and Magic Shop were part of that, even if they did turn some kind of a profit. Heck, they could bring back the main street theater and actually show nothing but those movie previews they keep doing elsewhere on property and this would actually be an appropriate place for it!*

*Not that I want to see them eliminate that Art of Disney location but it being in the place it is makes absolutely no sense. They should move it somewhere else and have it set up like it was previously where it felt right as its own place and not something shoe-horned into a facade that doesn't fit.

ohioguy

Looks like Disney is leaving their options open. This could be the beginning of a return to a more "Disneyland"-style Main Street for the Magic Kingdom. Iger is undoing some of the damage done by Eisner and Co.

A re-imagining of other points around the Magic Kingdom will be most welcome, especially before the 50th. I'm in the camp that wants Stitch returned to an updated Mission To Mars, and for Mr. Toad to come back by way of Storybook Circus (since they are more than willing to utilize land beyond the railroad now)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Looks like Disney is leaving their options open. This could be the beginning of a return to a more "Disneyland"-style Main Street for the Magic Kingdom. Iger is undoing some of the damage done by Eisner and Co.

A re-imagining of other points around the Magic Kingdom will be most welcome, especially before the 50th. I'm in the camp that wants Stitch returned to an updated Mission To Mars, and for Mr. Toad to come back by way of Storybook Circus (since they are more than willing to utilize land beyond the railroad now)
We had a Disneyland type Main St now a big box store, the Emporium. I don’t see Iger fixing anything for the guests just look what happened to Future World under Iger vs the growth of all of Disney World under Eisner. Iger is the type of guy that will put up cabanas in Tomorrowland for revenue or buy Minnie Vans to rent over adding more buses or fixing the monorail

Joeamc

So Funny, I got one of those skulls there also. I loved that thing, It was so cool as a kid! I must have gotten it some time around 1987-1989.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom