The horror

Thecorsi4

Original Poster
Has anyone had this happen?

We have been to Disney World and Disneyland a few times. we are in the time of year where we plan the next family vacation( I assumed was a given that we would be going back to Disney world) my 10year old daughter said she is bored with it. I may have to leave her at home i am not sure I can make it a year without gong to the house of mouse :(

DisneyJoe

Do you always stay at the same resort? Do you do the same restaurants, go at the same time of year, etc? Sounds like you maybe need to mix things up a bit - or just leave her at home. Our boys appreciated the family trips more after my wife and I would come back from an adult Disney trip and tell them about our magical adventures.

DisneyPrincess5

You mentioned you’ve been to DL and WDW a few times. I’m not sure how many times you consider a few, but if your daughter is 10 I wonder if it’s a matter of the specialness of it has waned a bit. A few times in 10 years can feel like a lot in so,e cases. I wonder if vacations to somewhere totally different for a few years would reset things.

Weather_Lady

I don't think there's anything surprising about that -- I think if my family visited more than once every 2-3 years, we'd be looking for something to "mix it up" a little, too -- plus, age 10 can be a time when kids start to feel the onset of teen-style apathy (or at least, they feel the need to ACT like they have teen-style apathy). Don't be discouraged, and don't let her "boredom" dictate your vacation destination if WDW is where you and the rest of the family want to go. Ask your daughter what she WOULD find interesting, and involve her in the planning to the extent you can. Maybe throw in some new restaurants to your itinerary, try a new style of accommodation (rent a camper or book a cabin and stay in FW campground, or try a new hotel category) and/or add some side trips to places you haven't been before - water parks, Universal, Sea World, or museums or historical sites. If finances and your vacation style allow, you might also consider letting her bring a friend, or you could bring other family members -- my kids have really enjoyed the chance to introduce their grandparents to WDW, and traveling with new people makes it a whole different experience.

Last edited:

Thecorsi4

Original Poster
Do you always stay at the same resort? Do you do the same restaurants, go at the same time of year, etc? Sounds like you maybe need to mix things up a bit - or just leave her at home. Our boys appreciated the family trips more after my wife and I would come back from an adult Disney trip and tell them about our magical adventures.
resort yes, time of year no... After talking to her last night she thought she was to old to see her fairy god mother. both the little princesses love to go to Bippity Boppity Boutique. I let her know she had another year or so before that happened. She then did request a different hotel as she said " i am getting a little old to be sleeping in a Cars pull down bed. I have her researching what hotel she would like to stay at. the front runner right now is FT. Wilderness and take the travel trailer. now the wife is not super happy cause a road trip from Colorado means more time off work for her. (first world problem I know)

thanks for the reply

ELeigh

We have been to Disney World and Disneyland a few times. we are in the time of year where we plan the next family vacation( I assumed was a given that we would be going back to Disney world) my 10year old daughter said she is bored with it. I may have to leave her at home i am not sure I can make it a year without gong to the house of mouse :(

Have you been to universal with her yet? Could you plan to split up for a day and have the little ones do Disney with one parent and have her do Universal with the other parent? I went to Orlando when I was around 12/13 and found Universal much more appealing, although as an adult I prefer Disney so don't worry there is hope she will come back around

Simba's Mom

Not at 10, but at around13. Is it possible to go without her? The reason I ask is that that's what we did. And after we came home couple times, talking between us about the trip, both DSs wanted to go back. DS #1 asked for a trip to WDW for his high school graduation. DS #2 got a summer internship in entertainment at DL for the 50th anniversary summer and loved it. Both sons are adults now, and they both LOVE trips to WDW again. It's a phase.

daisyduckie

resort yes, time of year no... After talking to her last night she thought she was to old to see her fairy god mother. both the little princesses love to go to Bippity Boppity Boutique. I let her know she had another year or so before that happened. She then did request a different hotel as she said " i am getting a little old to be sleeping in a Cars pull down bed. I have her researching what hotel she would like to stay at. the front runner right now is FT. Wilderness and take the travel trailer. now the wife is not super happy cause a road trip from Colorado means more time off work for her. (first world problem I know)

thanks for the reply

There are places that rent travel trailers and will set them up at Fort Wilderness for you. That way you could still fly down, but enjoy the whole camping experience your daughter likes.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
My now 22-yo DS never went through that "phase". We started going in 2001 when he was 5 and he's been once or twice a year since. Last July we took his Fiance for her first trip since her childhood, really her first trip as she doesn't remember going. She's hooked now too. :cool:

When he was 18 we were riding a Disney bus somewhere and there were only us and an elderly couple riding. The gentleman asked DS if he liked Disney. My son looked at him as though he'd grown horns! :hilarious: He then said that most kids DS' age would prefer Universal with all it's rides and DS responded that while he had enjoyed Uni and the rides were cool, "it just wasn't Disney". DS went on to explain that at WDW you're immersed in the theming 24/7 while Universal [with the exception of Harry Potter] just didn't have that. I was so proud! :inlove:

Club Cooloholic

I am a big fan of Riverside. The pool area is fun, you can take the boats to the Springs and the bar has great family entertainment(is Yee-Ha Bob still there?)

WDWMPrincess

Oh yikes!

I feel your pain. My spouse is not anywhere near as into our upcoming Disney World vacation as I am. He went a number of times as a kid. He and his parents evidently would just show up, do whatever they saw that interested them, and go home. He was not aware of any reserved dining, character meals, and a bunch of other stuff and says he wouldn't have been thrilled by those anyways. He said the last time he was there he spent most of his time going on the two or three rides that weren't completely boring and opted to stay home with his grandparents the next time his parents decided to go.

*gasp!* Who have I married?! haha

Nothing I mentioned from my research into our upcoming Disney vacation interested him until I mentioned the special safaris with the animals in Animal Kingdom and visiting NASA. He's very on board for those. Maybe your daughter is ready for something different you haven't thought of trying before? If the animal safaris aren't her thing, perhaps she'd be interested in the animation classes, or cooking classes in Disney Springs, or some other activity outside the Disney parks?

There are plenty of other places If your getting sick of the same trip.
China Disney
Disney paris
Canada's wonderland
Universal Orlando
Cedar point
Hershey park
Six flags
Disneyland
Knoebels
Schlitterbahn water park

Dutch Inn '76

I'll say this: We have been to WDW or Disneyland, on average, every year since my son was born. He's 17 now - and a year away from moving out and going to college.

Right now, we wish that we had reduced our Disney trips and gone other places more. It's a big, beautiful world with lots to see...

NeedMoreMickey

I think having her helping in the planning is a great idea. Weather_Lady has some nice suggestions. It’s also one of her friends is teasing her about going to Disney like when older kids tease younger ones about believing in Santa or Easter bunny. Some kid tried this with my niece when she was around that age and she told the kid he was stupid and shut up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom