The Hall of Flags

Mad Stitch

Original Poster
Please don't let this turn into a political correctness fight. With all of the controversy lately, has anyone noticed if the 3rd national flag of the Confederate States of America has been removed from the Hall of Flags at the American Adventure?

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Nope not to my knowledge. Still there as I'm sure someone would have posted something by now if they had. :)

Cmdr_Crimson

For anyone who's wondering which flag it is...Found this on Google images..
DSC_5788-1024x682.jpg

I'm not sure if they did...but am really curious what could they replace it with...

Last edited:

Mad Stitch

Original Poster
The Stars and Bars (the 1st national flag of the Confederate States of America) is already there to represent the Confederacy. If they really wanted to I'm sure there is flag somewhere in US history that could be used as a replacement for the 3rd national flag of the Confederate States of America.

I would like to see a list of all the flags used in the Hall of Flags. There are some of them that I do not recognize.

Last edited:

Daniel Johnson

I would also like to see a list of the flags presented, as there are some I've never seen. I've actually never been into the hall of flags, but, will go for sure now.

Cmdr_Crimson

The Stars and Bars (the 1st national flag of the Confederate States of America) is already there to represent the Confederacy. If they really wanted to I'm sure there is flag somewhere in US history that could be used as a replacement for the 3rd national flag of the Confederate States of America.

I would like to see a list of all the flags used in the Hall of Flags. There are some of them that I do not recognize.

You'd think they'd have a sign at the bottom of the escalator. Sadly they don't as it is a unique display and bypassed so quickly to guests..I'm sure the CM's have a list somewhere for the curious..

lazyboy97o

There are different battle flags and the one that people are fight about right now is a battle flag not the Confederate flag. Most likely because it was easier to see in battle. Hence the name. Think we need Sheldon and Amy to an episode on Confederate flags.
Even today different military units will have their own insignia, flags, etc. Carrying a large flag into battle just tends to give away your position so it's a practice that was done away with.

Daniel Johnson

So you've never seen the American Adventure show? :jawdrop:
Nope. I'm the only one of my family who enjoys epcot...by the time we get around to the American pavilion, most of the folk in my group are done with walking. It the one pavilion I haven't spent any time in

Dwarful

try to talk your family into 'taking a break' inside American Adventure. I am sure if you enjoy Epcot you will enjoy the American Adventure. It is a must do for my family every trip...I try to get it in a few times per trip.

Sage of Time

There are different battle flags and the one that people are fight about right now is a battle flag not the Confederate flag. Most likely because it was easier to see in battle. Hence the name. Think we need Sheldon and Amy to an episode on Confederate flags.
The common name and conception of the flag is that it is confederate.

Goofyernmost

I do completely understand that the use of it, in public owned and operated locations is very offensive to many people. However, I also feel that it must remain as a reminder of things that were less then great about our nation in it's early years, just not on public buildings. For example, in the American Adventure, it is strictly an historic prop. It is meant to show a part of history that we might think is bad, but, is HISTORY none the less. You may take the flag away, but, you will not change history. Taking it away, however, might just end the knowledge of history, which is worse.

So, I think that if you see a statehouse, or a redneck owned Ford pickup wandering about with a flag displayed, then it is offensive. We don't ban the Swastika from being a symbol of history, because that is what it is. We should, however, be unmistakably offended by someone with the benefit of history, thinking that it is a cool thing to display as a statement.

Actually, living in the south now, I see a place where black and whites live together quite happily. A lot more so then some from the north ever did. They do see it as southern pride and not anything like a message to keep slaves now. It has an entirely different meaning for most people then it's origin, however, there will always be a few that cannot get out of the rut of bigotry and the more that they are denied the right to feel that pride the more angry and bigoted they get.

I don't know the answer, but, I see no reason to be "knee jerking" a response to the flag, and try and see it for what it stands for today, not 150 years ago.

PhotoDave219

This is explained by CGP Grey on Youtube and explains it here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom