The Great Muppet Movie Ride in 2019.. good idea? bad?

The Great Muppet Movie Ride in Hollywood Studios in 2019

• That's a great idea

Votes: 60 43.8%
  • I personally would like it but I don't think many others would

Votes: 33 24.1%
  • Meh

Votes: 17 12.4%
  • No! It would never live up to the original. Why bother?

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • Indifferent. I see some benefits to it but not enough to justify it

Votes: 13 9.5%
  • Literally anything to boost Hollywood Studios' capacity...

Votes: 4 2.9%

• Total voters

FettFan

So it's made the rounds that the Muppets were intended to have a large presence in Hollywood Studios in its early development but the plans fell through. They once planned a whole ride parodying the Great Movie Ride. With the closure of the actual Great Movie Ride, do you think The Great Muppet Movie Ride would be a nice addition to the park?

I don't think so. What is the point of parody if the original is gone?

FettFan

I love the muppets but if Disney were doing this now I suspect they’d use a different IP like toy story or the fab 5

Just wait for the Alien segment.
9f0ee26535be02528b6672faf43a783e.jpg

PS - Space Marine Oswald needs a meet and greet.

justintheharris

Original Poster
I don't think so. What is the point of parody if the original is gone?
For the same reason some people wish a Disney park full of extinct rides exists. It would be a tribute and be different enough that it could potentially stand on its own two feet. Even without having rode the Great Movie Ride, people could enjoy the Muppet Movie Ride.

justintheharris

Original Poster
Bad idea.

Not because it's the Muppets. But because Disney rides being parody, satire or irony belong to the 1990's. When they didn't belong either. Disney is unashamed innocence, lyricism, sentimentalism and beauty.
I see your point but the Muppets are here to stay and the Muppets ARE satire by themselves.

tl77

I don't think the original concept of a "Muppet Studio Tour" fits with the new "immersive movie inspired worlds" direction the DHS park is heading in, but DHS could really use a family dark ride (since it has nothing like that) and the Muppets would make great AA figures. I think a Nightmare Before Christmas dark ride with AA figures would be a good addition at DHS as well

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
The Muppets seem to more popular with WDW staff than people on here may think. They’re in a lot of locations backstage/in offices and such all over Magic Kingdom when I got a full out tour as a cast member.

Dutch Inn '76

The Mouse absolutely needs to find a way to bring the Muppets back to the parks and back to prime time television, but a spoof of an old ride ain't the ticket. The GMR was old and tired and has finally been put out of its misery. It possibly could have been saved if Disney had updated it years ago, but they didn't as they were moving away from the concept. Now it's too late. Let's don't resurrect it in any form.

Then there's the fact that DHS is moving away from the idea of this being a "movie park." Yes, there's a subtle difference between every ride being based on a movie and every ride being about celebrating or making movies - but that's the way things are going there.

justintheharris

Original Poster
The Mouse absolutely needs to find a way to bring the Muppets back to the parks and back to prime time television, but a spoof of an old ride ain't the ticket. The GMR was old and tired and has finally been put out of its misery. It possibly could have been saved if Disney had updated it years ago, but they didn't as they were moving away from the concept. Now it's too late. Let's don't resurrect it in any form.

Then there's the fact that DHS is moving away from the idea of this being a "movie park." Yes, there's a subtle difference between every ride being based on a movie and every ride being about celebrating or making movies - but that's the way things are going there.
I agree that the direction of the park is shifting but the hallmark of the Muppets is pretty much satirizing movies which is why I think even with the new direction, this ride could make sense. But perhaps nobody else sees it that way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom