The Great Muppet Movie Ride in 2019.. good idea? bad?

The Great Muppet Movie Ride in Hollywood Studios in 2019

• That's a great idea

Votes: 60 43.8%
  • I personally would like it but I don't think many others would

Votes: 33 24.1%
  • Meh

Votes: 17 12.4%
  • No! It would never live up to the original. Why bother?

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • Indifferent. I see some benefits to it but not enough to justify it

Votes: 13 9.5%
  • Literally anything to boost Hollywood Studios' capacity...

Votes: 4 2.9%

• Total voters

justintheharris

Original Poster
So it's made the rounds that the Muppets were intended to have a large presence in Hollywood Studios in its early development but the plans fell through. They once planned a whole ride parodying the Great Movie Ride. With the closure of the actual Great Movie Ride, do you think The Great Muppet Movie Ride would be a nice addition to the park? Yes, I'm well aware Disney does not have any space to place this in Grand Park unless they'd like to bulldoze the new Cast Service building or the new parking lot they just paved. But that aside, how do you feel about this idea? I think it would be a win-win since Disney would get its IP representation while many people get a nice tribute to an extinct attraction that they loved. I'm sure there would be plenty of naysayers claiming the original was better (I'm sure there would be truth behind it) but it's better than no Great Movie Ride? And, if done in the same format, it would be an awesome attraction for capacity in a park that desperately needs it.

TwilightZone

As someone who is from a more modern generation, I don't think the ride would really work out for a lot of reasons. Mainly from the muppet drought. I'm sure there will be some benefits to the ride, but I just don't see it getting much visitors at all.

justintheharris

Original Poster
As someone who is from a more modern generation, I don't think the ride would really work out for a lot of reasons. Mainly from the muppet drought. I'm sure there will be some benefits to the ride, but I just don't see it getting much visitors at all.
The Muppets aren't too popular anymore BUT are you suggesting The Great Movie Ride tribute isn't a draw all by itself?

TwilightZone

The Muppets aren't too popular anymore BUT are you suggesting The Great Movie Ride tribute isn't a draw all by itself?
I think that's one of the benefits to it is the tribute. Maybe it's just me, but having the original ride, which was a celebration to all movies, be tributed in a parody is a bit in bad taste. The original both at once plan is the way to go. But that won't happen.

justintheharris

Original Poster
I think that's one of the benefits to it is the tribute. Maybe it's just me, but having the original ride, which was a celebration to all movies, be tributed in a parody is a bit in bad taste. The original both at once plan is the way to go. But that won't happen.
Well bad taste to me implies that the Muppet Movie Ride would be insulting great movies but I don't think parodying them is necessarily equal to insult. I mean... I rarely see parodies of bad products. Usually people parody movies perceived as good. Of course there are exceptions.

TwilightZone

Well bad taste to me implies that the Muppet Movie Ride would be insulting great movies but I don't think parodying them is necessarily equal to insult. I mean... I rarely see parodies of bad products. Usually people parody movies perceived as good. Of course there are exceptions.
That's true!

JIMINYCR

I would welcome a new and improved Muppet attraction. Not sure a take off from the GMR would be the thing to do.... The park needs some more non SW attractions to balance off the land and other more thrill types. The Muppets are still popular and they have drawn crowds to the mini presentations in MK. There are enough people of all ages who still find joy and humor in the characters. Disney long ago should have taken the opportunity to grow their presence in DHS.

Last edited:

LUVofDIS

The Muppets Presents Great Moments in History has been one of the best additions to the MK in recent years. I would hope that if they ever remove it from the MK, I hope they don't, that they would move it to HS. Better yet, keep it in MK and have a version that deals with movie history in HS. As for a GMR Muppet version, I just don't see it happening at this point, I would probably enjoy it, it combines two great elements, but the powers that be probably don't have the vision for something this great.

slappy magoo

Something I think would be more feasible, perhaps more fun...in the existing Muppet theater...a new movie...
We in the audience are allowed to watch auditions for new Muppet acts. Due to a Crazy Harry related mishap, the back of the stage is destroyed and we see that behind the destroyed wall is the remnants of a video store that's been closed for years. Everyone assumed the movies were removed but they're all still on the shelves. An animatronic Dr. Honeydew fires up a bunch of VCRs, they're exposed to radioactivity and suddenly a bunch of Muppets are sucked into the movies in those VCRs and a race is on to get them out. This gives the Muppets opportunities to either interact with classic movie scenes, or be the main characters in those movies.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Any ride is popular if it is thrilling enough though. If they didn't use traveling theatres, and instead more of a Dinosaur or Spider-Man style vehicle, honestly, it'd probably do very well. Like Song of the South for Splash Mountain, or Tron for Tron Coaster.

justintheharris

Original Poster
My non-categorized vote: That ship has sailed, move on.
I only brought it up because the Great Movie Ride closed and I thought 'what if Disney did something unprecedented and made a tribute attraction to one of their closed attraction?' I thought this would be the easiest option since we know Disney once considered the idea.

Cmdr_Crimson

I still think it would have worked if Jim was still around....Just like they show him explain it in this Dateline Disney clip...(And Oh my goodness all the other attractions that were to happen around this time...😭)

You have to wonder though if there was any audio recorded prior to his passing for the attraction...As the only other attraction with his voice was "Here Come The Muppets"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom