The Great Movie ride vs Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway poll

Which is the best ride?

• The Great Movie Ride

Votes: 140 61.7%
  • Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Votes: 87 38.3%

• Total voters

JIMINYCR

The GMR. Although some thought it needed a better plan in place to occasionally upgrade scenes to make it relevant, there was nothing wrong with it having been an attraction that presented a historical view of movies. The park all along was meant to glorify the past Hollywood scene, and be inclusive to the present. One is being promoted while the other is disappearing in peoples memories. There were some fabulous actors and films that deserve a place of prominence in the park. Even Walt is being pushed aside.

KBLovedDisney

I get the The Great Movie Ride was outdated to some and needed some TLC and that Mickey's Railway is technologically advanced in this day and age.

But to me, The Great Movie Ride had such depth and soul with the stories of great actors and actresses portrayed in scenes where they shined.

Even though I knew I was never ever going to meet those famous people in person, it always felt to me like I was thrust right into the heart of Hollywood as a child and growing adult whenever I was on The Great Movie Ride.

Mickey's Runaway Railway just seems so...soulless.

chretts

I get the The Great Movie Ride was outdated to some and needed some TLC and that Mickey's Railway is technologically advanced in this day and age.

But to me, The Great Movie Ride had such depth and soul with the stories of great actors and actresses portrayed in scenes where they shined.

Even though I knew I was never ever going to meet those famous people in person, it always felt to me like I was thrust right into the heart of Hollywood as a child and growing adult whenever I was on The Great Movie Ride.

Mickey's Runaway Railway just seems so...soulless.
i was just on my way to post pretty much this word for word.

Figments Friend

And I will 'third' the two comments above.

Having now experienced 'Railway' in person, and being underwhelmed, my vote is most certainly 'Great Movie Ride' hands down.

We lost Munchkinland and the fabulous Wicked Witch AA for this screen based hoo-hah.
Call me a 'old dragon', but 'Railway' is ......wacky fun but not all that and a bag of chips.
Your mileage may vary.
'Great Movie Ride' was a classic....and the Park's 'signature Attraction'.

I really wish we could have had BOTH exsisting in the Park together.
That would have been great!

-

Dog Ate Mouse

The great American movie ride screened MGM Studios. This was was well done and we'll thought out. The issue is they needed to just change the rides with new scenes and villains. The only thing that would have been disappointing to see change was the Wizard of Oz in munchkin land. I loved this part when I first seen it . it was a good entertaining ride that brought back a lot of good memories.

erasure fan1

I really wish we could have had BOTH exsisting in the Park together.
That would have been great!
This is my main complaint. The park could have really benefited from having both. The great movie ride definitely needed an update. But the concept was still solid. I don't agree that the ride didn't resonate because people didn't like the concept. It fell in popularity because like a lot of things at Disney, it was left to wither and die from lack of care.

Animaniac93-98

The Great Movie Ride was to Disney-MGM Studios what Horizons was to EPCOT Center. It was both a literal and figurative centerpiece, the ride that summed up the whole park's theme and values. It was unique and couldn't be found anywhere else.

Runaway Railway is just a Mickey Mouse ride and one that will be built in other Disney parks. It has no significance or meaning to the theme of Hollywood Studios (if the park even has one). It is not a worthy replacement.

correcaminos

TGMR was old, outdated, and had some of the worst animatronics. I wasn't even the tiniest bit sad when it closed. Now the Animation tour and Backlot tour were what made the parks to me. DHS fell by the wayside with the former and completely died in its old for with the latter. TGMR was a weird hang on from that era to me and getting only one story vs 2 options just made it worse.

LaughingGravy

The unique attractions, including the ride mechanisms and AAs are what used to keep us coming back. The Wizard of Oz scene really immersed the guest, as an example. There were others in the GMR.
Anything with screens or partial projections on blank AA faces just doesn't do it for me. It's not much different than the other "Put you in a box, shake you around and show you a movie" rides. That tech is fine for a queue to keep people entertained, but it's a step below what could be done for the premium price and reduced hours, independent of the current COVID-19 situation.

harryk

I HATE the new cheap looking animation where they move characters mouths to the side of the head rather than turning the head. Looks more like something a 4 year old drew rather than traditional high quality animation.
It is probably cheaper to do it that way..... :(
You are sooooooooo right!!

Trackmaster

I think its ridiculous that they even had to remove a ride at all just to add Mickey and Minnie. The park has a grand total of 10 rides right now. A year ago it was 7 rides. Seriously? And when you consider that over 90% of the guests in a day don't even have a prayer is getting on Rise, you're asking a lot of those 9 rides to satisfy everybody. What were they thinking removing anything when the park needs to be built up into an all day park?

DisneyNittany

Echoing some previous statements, I would have liked to have seen GMR stay where it was and MMRR move into Animation Courtyard. I have no clue if that was even plausible, but to the untrained eye it looked like it could have been done.

I've yet to get down and ride MMRR, so I can't comment on that, but it seems that they could have coexisted.

Last edited:

tanc

MMRR was just a screen showcase to me, it was alright but there was so much going on. Plus the audio was funky, I couldn't hear most of what was being said. The plot of the ride is just weird, it's just a bunch of sample sections. At least TGMR was supposed to be "experiencing the movies". May not be the best plot, but at least it really was like being in a film.

TGMR, sure it's out dated, but it would be so cool if they redid it with Disney scenes or got rights to new films and replaced certain scenes. I also like the length of the show way more, after standing in the blistering heat it was nice being inside for quite a while.

There was just something about reliving classic films in almost a real way, and it was a good way to introduce those great films to a new generation.

JustAFan

Runaway Railway is a very good ride. They did a great job on that. I don't quite get how the dance sequence with Daisy fits into the storyline, but ok. Still a good ride done very well. I liked GMR a lot. I wish they could've kept it and given it an update. Runaway Railway takes the edge between the 2 for me.

Trackmaster

Runaway Railway is a very good ride. They did a great job on that. I don't quite get how the dance sequence with Daisy fits into the storyline, but ok. Still a good ride done very well. I liked GMR a lot. I wish they could've kept it and given it an update. Runaway Railway takes the edge between the 2 for me.
The best explanation I think of is that Mickey cartoons are often pretty random and dream like where they throw a lot of stuff together that doesn't always make sense? That's my best guess.

Goofyernmost

The best explanation I think of is that Mickey cartoons are often pretty random and dream like where they throw a lot of stuff together that doesn't always make sense? That's my best guess.
How dare they interject fantasy. Everyone should want serious, everyday life, logical entertainment.

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
I agree 100% I wish we could've had a world where both rides coexisted.

LovePop

Never liked the Great Movie Ride because it wasn't Disney. Prefer Mickey and Minnie because there's Mickey in it, though I haven't been on it yet. Surprised to see more people prefer the Great Movie Ride. I thought everybody would just jump on the Mickey train.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom