The Great Movie Ride II - Hype/Discussion Thread

TheOriginalTiki

Part Four coming tomorrow night!
gdrp4.png

Chaos Cat

Not counting the ones already announced and/or active development we have:
  • Fantasia (except Sorcerer’s Apprentice)
  • Saludos Amigos
  • Three Caballeros
  • Make Mine Music
  • Melody Time
  • Fun and Fancy Free
  • Wind in the Willows
  • Sleepy Hollow
  • The Rescuers
  • Fox and the Hound
  • Great Mouse Detective
  • Oliver and Company
  • Rescuers Down Under
  • Pocahontas (Menken has said never will)
  • Tarzan
  • And everything post renaissance except for Lilo and Stitch and Atlantis
This doesn’t include remakes of their live action films nor Pixar. In all honesty I wouldn’t mind a remastering of earlier Pixar films like the various remasters we’ve gotten from video game studios.
That is an alarmingly small list.

tcool123

That is an alarmingly small list.
If it helps if you add in the more modern films the list grows a bit!
  • Fantasia 2000
  • Dinosaur
  • Emperor's New Groove
  • Treasure Planet (I'd argue that this film would benefit from a chance at live action)
  • Brother Bear
  • Home on the Range
  • Chicken Little
  • Meet the Robinsons
  • Bolt
  • Princess and the Frog
  • Tangled
  • Wreck-It Ralph
  • Frozen
  • Big Hero 6
  • Zootopia
  • Moana
  • Break the Internet
  • Frozen II
  • Raya and the Last Dragon
  • Encanto
This add an additional 20 films to the animated canon that have not been touched, and thus our total grows to 35 films; a bit over half. From the films Disney has left I can see Sleepy Hollow, Fox and the Hound, Oliver and Company as solid picks for a Disney+ remake down the line. While Tarzan, Emperor's New Groove, Treasure Planet might be next for theaters.

I also want to note that that Princess and the Frog (2009) was nearly approached as a potential remake as revealed by Jennifer Lee in this article. This is aligned with Disney's lowest amount of time before considering a live action adaption as Mulan was first tackled in 2010, 12 years after the film had been released. Using that time frame we could technically see a live action remake of Tangled enter development right now, which is just wild.

tcool123

Also since I was driven down this rabbit hole I will share my other list with y'all about live action Disney film remakes/requels, and only take into account the films that were remade following the mass wave with Alice in Wonderland (and technically the Sorcerer's Apprentice).

First are the released remakes
  • Tron: Legacy (2010 - I don't really count this one, but for funsies)
  • Pete's Dragon (2016)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (2018 - First done by Disney in 2003)
  • Mary Poppins Returns (2018)
  • Freaky Friday (DCOM - 2018)
And of course the ones we know are coming
  • Hocus Pocus 2
  • Disenchanted
  • Flight of the Navigator
  • Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (Only a six year gap!)
  • Inspector Gadget
  • National Treasure 3 (Plus a series!)
  • Sister Act 3
  • Shrunk (Honey, I Shrunk the Kids)
  • The Parent Trap
  • The Return of the Rocketeer
  • Tron: Ares
  • Two separate Pirates of the Caribbean films
  • Nautilus (Series - 20K Leagues Under the Sea)
  • The Clauses (Series - Santa Clause)
  • Swiss Family Robinson (Series)
Some notable films missing IMO is The Lovebug alongside Bedknobs and Broomsticks both of which honestly probably will get attention soon as more of these properties are tapped.

PerGron

Kenobi Episode 3 Review

So far, I’m in love with this show! Growing up a massive Star Wars fan, Anakin was always my favorite character (not counting R2) and Obi-Wan was a very close second, so I’m so happy to have a show about Obi-Wan and him dealing with his past mistakes and this episode is a great addition to that!

Literally my only issue thus far is The Grand Inquisitor because I don’t want him dead since that seemingly retcons Rebels. Other than that, I adore this show.

I saw some complaints already about Vader being “too timid” and I think that’s absolutely false. He’s a predator toying with his prey and he did so in the most brutal fashion I could imagine for him.

Overall, a great episode and I hate having to wait a whole week for the next one.

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
Some notable films missing IMO is The Lovebug alongside Bedknobs and Broomsticks both of which honestly probably will get attention soon as more of these properties are tapped.
Bedknobs and Broomsticks was recently adapted as a stage musical and went on a just-closed tour of the UK last year. Rumor has it that they're workshopping it again now after the tour closed in preparation for a full London run once Mary Poppins closes...

I remember reading in one of the articles about the show, the new lyricist/book writer said Disney was surprised when he approached them about adapting B&B for the stage. Going off that, I don't think B&B is on Disney's must-remake-now list...

tcool123

New Pokemon trailer and my hype for the game continues! Once again we saw more of the trio of starters (probably the best looking set since Gen 4 in my opinion) alongside new Pokemon for this game including what I assume is this region’s cute electric mammal, a new grass pokemon or a new regional variant of Budew, the comically named Lechonk (lechon is spanish for pig while le chonk also adds to the name so bonus points for the name!) and of course we saw the box art legendaries which have an interesting past vs future theme that the game exclusive Professors seem to carry out as well!

Disney Warrior

New Pokemon trailer and my hype for the game continues! Once again we saw more of the trio of starters (probably the best looking set since Gen 4 in my opinion) alongside new Pokemon for this game including what I assume is this region’s cute electric mammal, a new grass pokemon or a new regional variant of Budew, the comically named Lechonk (lechon is spanish for pig while le chonk also adds to the name so bonus points for the name!) and of course we saw the box art legendaries which have an interesting past vs future theme that the game exclusive Professors seem to carry out as well!

That olive Pokemon is named Smoliv (yeah, that’s the name) and it’s Grass/Normal type, the pikaclone is named Pawmi and it is pure Electric type, Lechonk (amazing name, at first I thought it was French) is pure Normal type. The mascot legends are named Koraidon (Scarlet) and Miraidon (Violet), and I think this game will have a past/future theme since Sada (professor) and Korai both mean past and Turo (other professor) and Mirai both mean future, I think both legends were once the same pokemon in different time periods, too.

Lizzy May Bee

Not a big Pokémon fan myself but I like Quaxly quite a lot

tcool123

That olive Pokemon is named Smoliv (yeah, that’s the name) and it’s Grass/Normal type, the pikaclone is named Pawmi and it is pure Electric type, Lechonk (amazing name, at first I thought it was French) is pure Normal type. The mascot legends are named Koraidon (Scarlet) and Miraidon (Violet), and I think this game will have a past/future theme since Sada (professor) and Korai both mean past and Turo (other professor) and Mirai both mean future, I think both legends were once the same pokemon in different time periods, too.
Awh I love all the names of the pokemon they’re all very fitting! So far I’m loving everything I’m seeing with this new game which is not something I could say about Gen 7 and 8!

JokersWild

Videos don’t do it justice. It absolutely has its flaws, but it’s worth a ride for its uniqueness alone.

I’m still really curious to see how they adapt the food to American palettes. The menus were pretty Japanese (or rather, Japanese approximations of American food.) and heavily featured mushrooms, so I’m expecting some pretty big changes.

Last edited:

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster
Too late to sign up?

Not at all. We just got started and the first Scene/challenge is finishing up tomorrow night. We'll be kicking off the next challenge on Sunday and every week thereafter for the summer. We can slot you onto a team on Sunday to be there from the get go. You'll be tagged in a forum post in the main thread, but also included in a group message for the team that will be started. Would love to have you!

JokersWild

OH MY GOD I FINALLY DID IT

On August 1 and 2, I will finally be going to Tokyo Disneyland. After trying for literal months to get tickets through their terrible website, I gave in and reserved a hotel room at the Disney Celebration Resort, which gives me guaranteed park entry that I can purchase with cash.

August can't come soon enough.

MickeyMouse10

Kenobi Episode 3 Review

So far, I’m in love with this show! Growing up a massive Star Wars fan, Anakin was always my favorite character (not counting R2) and Obi-Wan was a very close second, so I’m so happy to have a show about Obi-Wan and him dealing with his past mistakes and this episode is a great addition to that!

Literally my only issue thus far is The Grand Inquisitor because I don’t want him dead since that seemingly retcons Rebels. Other than that, I adore this show.

I saw some complaints already about Vader being “too timid” and I think that’s absolutely false. He’s a predator toying with his prey and he did so in the most brutal fashion I could imagine for him.

Overall, a great episode and I hate having to wait a whole week for the next one.

I agree, I don't understand why it's getting so much flak. It was done really well and it's nice to have an Obi Wan story with finally some practical effects. George Lucas casted wrong with the young Anakin and went overboard with the CGI in the prequels.

It's definitely a breath of fresh air after Robert Rodriquez's Boba Fett turd.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom