Trip Report The GRAND Birthday! *COMPLETED*

“Hey, Ma ~ you’re about to celebrate a BIG birthday. What are you going to do next?”
“I’m going to Disney World!”

If it were only as simple as it sounds in the commercial. But we all know that real life rarely aligns with what is portrayed on TV....or for that matter (dare I say?) social media. My mother was hitting a milestone on 2/1/2019 and I wanted to take her to her favorite vacation destination to celebrate. (The fact that it also happens to be mine was a bonus!) However when I presented the idea to her back in the fall, she was reluctant to accept my offer.

Ten years ago our extended family went to WDW to celebrate her last big birthday. During that trip, paramedics were called because my infant nephew was experiencing breathing difficulties; my sister-in-law got either food poisoning or a bad case of stomach flu which necessitated a doctor coming to her resort room (and an extended stay); and my dear Woody came down with similar symptoms which resulted in an ambulance ride to the ER on the night we arrived home.

Needless to say that was the end of our extended family vacations.

I had to clarify with Mom that I wasn’t planning a big gathering. Still, she wasn’t sure she wanted to go. My father was recovering from some recent health challenges and she was uncertain she’d feel comfortable leaving him. She asked for some time to think it over.

Meanwhile I jumped on some cheap airfare and booked the hotel, figuring it was worth the risk. Just before Thanksgiving, with my dad’s blessing, Mom decided she would like to go.

“Where will we stay?” she asked.
“It’s a big event. Where do you think we should stay?” I answered.
Mom paused and without waiting for her reply I continued: “It’s going to be a grand celebration, so we must stay at the Grand Floridian!”
Mom choked up and said, “I never thought I’d ever be able to stay there.”

Well now she has! And we had a wonderful time at the resort and in the parks. There was even a surprise or two.

As for this:
That's the interesting thing -- something new, fun, or outright bizarre happens on all your trips, and that's what keeps us coming back for more. It's kinda like a written version (with photos), of a Tuvalu WDW reality show. :p Looking forward to the next installment in the series.
Stay tuned for the bizarre!

I wish this trip could have been mother/daughter/granddaughter. Sadly, Em was unable to join us.

Who: Tuvalu and Mom
When: January 29 - February 2, 2019
Where: Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa (the “and Spa” gets me every time!)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Mom has been with me when I’ve met other forum friends, so she was unperturbed when I left to meet Tony. JB is a “roll with it” kind of guy, so he didn’t ask many questions when I rejoined them. Most of the exiting crowds had dissipated and our monorail rides were empty.

When we arrived at the GF, I remembered we had not pre-ordered our meal at Be Our Guest tomorrow. Food can’t be pre-ordered on the app (why?) so we stopped at JB’s room to use his laptop.

He had mentioned his room had a “slow closing door” and wondered if that was due to the “funky band thing” used to unlock the door. The door did auto-open and close....not because of his band....but because he had been given a disability-access room!

You would have thought the bathroom would have tipped him off. It was wide....the sliding door had no threshold....the sinks were inside rather than out....there were several grab bars....and a roll-in shower, no tub.

I stepped JB through the BOG ordering process. Since we were already on the Dining page, JB began a search for Mom’s birthday dinner the next night. He found not one, but two ADRs for one of the restaurants I had wanted to book for Mom’s special day.

You’ll have to keep reading to find out where.

slipperalwaysfits

YES!!!!!! FASTPASS SUCCESS WITH SOARIN!!!!!!!!! 😜😜😜

“eating in Japan.”

We lived in Japan for a few years so we really enjoy Teppan Edo, as we are pretty nostalgic. I love the Yum-Yum sauce. In 2017, I really didn't like our chef, he wasn't personable. This past year, the chef was awesome, funny and prompt. I understand your complaints about slow service, I feel like that happens a bit in Disney in sit down restaurants. I'm sorry you didn't get the right drink, as someone who's very picky about her alcohol, I completely understand your frustration.

I'm so glad you made it for the fireworks!!!:);)

amjt660

Premium Member
Epcot Japan was never a “quick” meal but it also never took as long as it did that night! But thanks for sharing your real-life experience. I wonder if @bee noticed that during her Japan adventure?
The random delivery of meals to the table is the one that takes longest to get used to

Normally here we will patiently wait for all entrees to arrive before digging in

Max

MinnieM123

Premium Member

Songbird76

Long ago and far away our dinner destination was a staple in our vacations. It’s original name was Mitsukoshi Teppanyaki Dining; it is now known as Teppan Edo.

View attachment 354526

View attachment 354524

My parents discovered hibachi-style dining after I’d left home and became fast converts. Every visit to Epcot included “eating in Japan.” My first experience was in August 1991 while on a trip with Mom, my brother and my boys. My kids loved watching the chef and gobbled down their food....until my oldest complained, “there’s something in my rice.”

That “something” turned out to be his first lost tooth!

View attachment 354525
They loved their drink umbrellas!

A memory was made and requests for repeat visits followed. I - someone who hates mustard - became addicted to the mustard sauce. And the ginger dressing on the salad? Yum-o! The boys learned they liked shrimp (neither Woody nor I eat seafood) and ordering steak here did not break the budget....prices were very reasonable for our family of 5.

But sweet Em was never a fan of Teppanyaki so we began to broaden our horizons to other World Showcase cuisine and our regular visits ceased. But Mom’s didn’t.

I was looking forward to eating here again as I hadn’t been to Teppan Edo in several years. Would it be worth the wait?
Oh I can't wait to read about Teppan Edo. I'm so nervous about our ADR there! Reading.....

Songbird76

So, it was slow, and not as good as you remember, but how competent was the chef? Did you, for example, get beaned in the forehead with flying vegetables? Or did you get a bath in hot soup? Perhaps end up with egg in your drink?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
So, it was slow, and not as good as you remember, but how competent was the chef? Did you, for example, get beaned in the forehead with flying vegetables? Or did you get a bath in hot soup? Perhaps end up with egg in your drink?
All the chefs we’ve had cook for us were professional and skilled with the food and utensils...no flying vegetables or wayward spills. One was adept at flipping the tails from shrimp into his chef’s hat. The cooking surface is very hot and they are cautious.

Soup, salad, rice and appetizers are delivered by the wait staff before the chef arrives.

Songbird76

All the chefs we’ve had cook for us were professional and skilled with the food and utensils...no flying vegetables or wayward spills. One was adept at flipping the tails from shrimp into his chef’s hat. The cooking surface is very hot and they are cautious.

Soup, salad, rice and appetizers are delivered by the wait staff before the chef arrives.
That sounds good then. The one experience I had with a hibachi grill, we got the soup delivered by the server, but our chef was terrible, and I seemed to be sitting in the hot seat. So he somehow made an onion skid across the cooking surface, which hit my soup bowl, sending it sliding into my lap. Then he did something with the eggs and one ricocheted off my plate and made a spectacular splash into my rootbeer. I was fortunate that the server was walking past just as it happened and I had a new drink less than a minute later, and she brought back another cloth to mop up the rest of the egg that was on the table....I don't think she was particularly happy to have to mop me up twice in a 5 minute period, though she was lovely about it to me and commented to the chef that she was going to tattle to his wife. Then he was trying to shoot zucchini into people's mouths and he got me right between the eyes. My brother thought it was all hysterical. We love teppanyaki food, but that's the only hibachi experience I've had and I don't know how much was part of the show (humor at my expense) and how much was just ineptness of the chef. So I want to try Teppan Edo, but I'm a bit nervous about being the unwitting volunteer for the show. But from what you have written here, and what I have heard from others, my experience was not the standard. I can't imagine they make a habit out of dumping hot soup in laps.....it's asking for a law suit, but we were in podunk Wyoming....who knows?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Friday, February 1

I got up super early and let the Birthday Girl sleep in....until 6:15 am. :joyfull: We wanted to be at MK for rope drop and planned to meet JB for breakfast beforehand.

There was a lovely sunrise this morning which brought warmer temperatures, something we appreciated!

JB was waiting for us in front of Big Pine Key.

We made the short walk to the restaurant.

Mom had cereal and a banana. JB went with the burrito which he said was quite tasty.

I had the kids scrambled eggs so I could get some purse grapes!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
After fueling up, we took a couple pics with the castle backdrop.

And to prove that JB didn’t always tower over me, here’s a throwback photo....one that affirms that girls develop faster than boys. (I am only a few months older than JB....despite his active claim that I am his “much older” cousin. 🙄 :joyfull:)

LadyBelle

In the Parks
No

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I think you owe me one of those cards, but I'm determined to have you give me 2 next time we meet in WDW. 🙂
You got it! :happy:

Hooray for handing out the first ever Tuvalu card!! Fingers crossed I can get my hands on one in June!
Me too! Would love to say hello to you and your adorable boys (all 3 of them 😉)

DisneyGigi

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom