Trip Report The GRAND Birthday! *COMPLETED*

“Hey, Ma ~ you’re about to celebrate a BIG birthday. What are you going to do next?”
“I’m going to Disney World!”

If it were only as simple as it sounds in the commercial. But we all know that real life rarely aligns with what is portrayed on TV....or for that matter (dare I say?) social media. My mother was hitting a milestone on 2/1/2019 and I wanted to take her to her favorite vacation destination to celebrate. (The fact that it also happens to be mine was a bonus!) However when I presented the idea to her back in the fall, she was reluctant to accept my offer.

Ten years ago our extended family went to WDW to celebrate her last big birthday. During that trip, paramedics were called because my infant nephew was experiencing breathing difficulties; my sister-in-law got either food poisoning or a bad case of stomach flu which necessitated a doctor coming to her resort room (and an extended stay); and my dear Woody came down with similar symptoms which resulted in an ambulance ride to the ER on the night we arrived home.

Needless to say that was the end of our extended family vacations.

I had to clarify with Mom that I wasn’t planning a big gathering. Still, she wasn’t sure she wanted to go. My father was recovering from some recent health challenges and she was uncertain she’d feel comfortable leaving him. She asked for some time to think it over.

Meanwhile I jumped on some cheap airfare and booked the hotel, figuring it was worth the risk. Just before Thanksgiving, with my dad’s blessing, Mom decided she would like to go.

“Where will we stay?” she asked.
“It’s a big event. Where do you think we should stay?” I answered.
Mom paused and without waiting for her reply I continued: “It’s going to be a grand celebration, so we must stay at the Grand Floridian!”
Mom choked up and said, “I never thought I’d ever be able to stay there.”

Well now she has! And we had a wonderful time at the resort and in the parks. There was even a surprise or two.

As for this:
That's the interesting thing -- something new, fun, or outright bizarre happens on all your trips, and that's what keeps us coming back for more. It's kinda like a written version (with photos), of a Tuvalu WDW reality show. :p Looking forward to the next installment in the series.
Stay tuned for the bizarre!

I wish this trip could have been mother/daughter/granddaughter. Sadly, Em was unable to join us.

Who: Tuvalu and Mom
When: January 29 - February 2, 2019
Where: Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa (the “and Spa” gets me every time!)

MegRuss626

Happy birthday to your mom!! 🎈(My mom’s birthday is 2/2!) And it must be big birthday trip bad luck! Our big birthday trip in 2016 was to celebrate my MIL turning 60, my husband and myself turning 30, and our nephew turning 1....let’s just say I am in ABSOLUTELY NO HURRY to relive that one 👎🏻

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Yay for February birthdays!!! I’m in.
Happy Febbirthday to you
Happy Febbirthday to you
Happy Febbirthday dear LadyBelle
Happy Febbirthday to you! 🍰
(and @MinnieM123 too!)

Happy birthday @Tuvalu !!
Thank you, Amy!

Happy Birthday to your mom & you!! I'm looking forward to this!!:)
Thanks, sweet friend. :inlove:

@Tuvalu so happy to see this TR!! What a wonderful Valentine gift for us!! We ❤ your trips. Happy belated birthday to both of you!!
No belated greeting for me.....it’s today!

PrincessNelly_NJ

“Hey, Ma ~ you’re about to celebrate a BIG birthday. What are you going to do next?”
“I’m going to Disney World!”

If it were only as simple as it sounds in the commercial. But we all know that real life rarely aligns with what is portrayed on TV....or for that matter (dare I say?) social media. My mother was hitting a milestone on 2/1/2019 and I wanted to take her to her favorite vacation destination to celebrate. (The fact that it also happens to be mine was a bonus!) However when I presented the idea to her back in the fall, she was reluctant to accept my offer.

Ten years ago our extended family went to WDW to celebrate her last big birthday. During that trip, paramedics were called because my infant nephew was experiencing breathing difficulties; my sister-in-law got either food poisoning or a bad case of stomach flu which necessitated a doctor coming to her resort room (and an extended stay); and my dear Woody came down with similar symptoms which resulted in an ambulance ride to the ER on the night we arrived home.

Needless to say that was the end of our extended family vacations.

I had to clarify with Mom that I wasn’t planning a big gathering. Still, she wasn’t sure she wanted to go. My father was recovering from some recent health challenges and she was uncertain she’d feel comfortable leaving him. She asked for some time to think it over.

Meanwhile I jumped on some cheap airfare and booked the hotel, figuring it was worth the risk. Just before Thanksgiving, with my dad’s blessing, Mom decided she would like to go.

“Where will we stay?” she asked.
“It’s a big event. Where do you think we should stay?” I answered.
Mom paused and without waiting for her reply I continued: “It’s going to be a grand celebration, so we must stay at the Grand Floridian!”
Mom choked up and said, “I never thought I’d ever be able to stay there.”

Well now she has! And we had a wonderful time at the resort and in the parks. There was even a surprise or two.

As for this:

Stay tuned for the bizarre!

I wish this trip could have been mother/daughter/granddaughter. Sadly, Em was unable to join us.

Who: Tuvalu and Mom
When: January 29 - February 2, 2019
Where: Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa (the “and Spa” gets me every time!)

View attachment 349878

All in! Tell your mother and fellow Aquarius... the best people are born on Feb 1st! :angelic:;)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Yay another Tuvalu trip report! Count me in.
Looking forward to reading about the GRAND celebration! :)
Woo hoo
Another report from Tu!!
Max
Can't wait!!
What a pleasant suprise to find in my feed. Yay!
Love trip reports from Tuvalu!
Following along.
Welcome Katie, Meekska Mooska, Max/Drew/Clarence, WDisneyW, B!E!S!, springerfan and Susan!

I don't check the forum for 1 day and I already missed the intro from another Tuvalu Report?? I NEED TO CHECK THIS MORE OFTEN!
Hooray for another Tuvalu Report! Looking forward to your grand adventures!:inlove::inlove:
You make me laugh. 😄Yes, I am a Valentine baby!

Happy Birthday to your mom! She does look so young, you guys look a lot alike. Can’t wait to follow along with the adventures.
You’ll appreciate this ~ Mom is GG (great-grandma) to Tuvalette and Tuvaleen! I’m sure you’ll look as young as her when you’re a GG Gigi!

I've been waiting for a new trip report from you... I figured it must be coming because you've been pretty quiet! Thanks for never letting me down!
Like @krause, you too are a smarty pants! 😉🤣

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Happy birthday to your mom!! 🎈(My mom’s birthday is 2/2!) And it must be big birthday trip bad luck! Our big birthday trip in 2016 was to celebrate my MIL turning 60, my husband and myself turning 30, and our nephew turning 1....let’s just say I am in ABSOLUTELY NO HURRY to relive that one 👎🏻
Whatever happened.....I UNDERSTAND!!

tenor.gif

Happy birthday to you @Tuvalu !! Wishing you many more to come.
Awwww, thanks!

All in! Tell your mother and fellow Aquarius... the best people are born on Feb 1st! :angelic:;)
She would absolutely agree with you!
(Happy belated! 🎂)

DisneyGigi

Welcome Katie, Meekska Mooska, Max/Drew/Clarence, WDisneyW, B!E!S!, springerfan and Susan!

You make me laugh. 😄Yes, I am a Valentine baby!

You’ll appreciate this ~ Mom is GG (great-grandma) to Tuvalette and Tuvaleen! I’m sure you’ll look as young as her when you’re a GG Gigi!

Like @krause, you too are a smarty pants! 😉🤣
I totally missed that it was your birthday too- getting used to glasses instead of contacts, totally messing my reading up. Happy birthday to you! And a GG Gigi! Love that. :)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
❤️❤️❤️

Thanks everyone for the birthday greetings! Although it hardly seems right that Em got to spend her birthday at Disney....and Mom got to spend her birthday at Disney....and I’m sitting at home with a cat in my lap.

To be fair though ~ Woody has planned a special evening for us tonight and Em is whisking me away this weekend for a girls trip to Chattanooga. I am blessed. :happy:

Rista1313

❤❤❤

Thanks everyone for the birthday greetings! Although it hardly seems right that Em got to spend her birthday at Disney....and Mom got to spend her birthday at Disney....and I’m sitting at home with a cat in my lap.

To be fair though ~ Woody has planned a special evening for us tonight and Em is whisking me away this weekend for a girls trip to Chattanooga. I am blessed. :happy:

Happy Birthday and Valentines day!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
The Planning Part

As I mentioned earlier, this trip wasn’t fully a “Go!” until several weeks before departure. I wanted it to be All About Mom ~ she would dictate the schedule, the restaurants, the attractions and the Fastpasses.

Mom’s first request?
No Animal Kingdom
(Have I mentioned that she was present on our first family visit to AK in 1998? 😉)

Second request?
I really want to see Toy Story Land

Okay, those first two were easy. But securing ADRs and FPs at a late date had me:

I needn’t have worried. I was able to secure ADRs at every restaurant she chose with the exception of one.

Unfortunately the most important one.

The restaurant for her birthday dinner.

She let me decide that meal. I was torn between California Grill (view and fireworks) and Storybook Dining at Artist Point (Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is her favorite Disney movie.) I stalked the website day after day. Signed up for Touring Plan alerts. (Has anyone had success with this? I logged in immediately after receiving a notification and the ADR was always gone.) Finally decided to wait until 24 hours out, in hopes of a snagging a cancellation.....and.....nothing.

I made our FPs 60 days out from my room at the WL. (Remember one of those mornings when I was up extra early? 😉) Again, got everything.....except what we wanted most.....Slinky Dog Dash.

Oh well. We’ll go with the flow, I thought.
So how did that work out?
Wait and see.

Doc Disney

Signed up for Touring Plan alerts. (Has anyone had success with this? I logged in immediately after receiving a notification and the ADR was always gone.) Finally decided to wait until 24 hours out, in hopes of a snagging a cancellation.....and.....nothing.

It works for me every time :) 90 % of the time the reservation is still there even like 20 minutes later but I have missed a few and I just Reset the reservation finder and it will find it again!
Can't wait to hear more!

riverside

Premium Member
Signed up for Touring Plan alerts. (Has anyone had success with this? I logged in immediately after receiving a notification and the ADR was always gone.)
I've only used it twice but had success both times. Once for 'Ohana and once for Akershus. I was amazed that we got Akershus. FEA had just opened & we couldn't get FP's so we tried getting a pre-park opening breakfast reservation. We were a party of 5 & I thought it would never happen but one came through about 5 days before our trip!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom