The "Golf Resort" and the "WDW Village Resort"?

noname70

Original Poster
I'm looking for some historical perspective.... I am reading a book from the mid eighties about WDW. It discusses Magic Kingdom and Epcot and has multipage descriptions of the following 5 resorts: Contemporary, Poly, Fort Wilderness AND "The Golf Resort" and the "WDW Village Resort". I've never heard of these last two. I assume they turned into something else but can some folks tell me about them and where they where located?

Luige11

I'm looking for some historical perspective.... I am reading a book from the early eighties about WDW. It discusses Magic Kingdom and Epcot and has multipage descriptions of the following resorts: Contemporary, Poly, Fort Wilderness AND "The Golf Resort" and the "WDW Village Resort". I've never heard of these last two. I assume they turned into something else but can some folks tell me about them and where they where located?
Im slightly curious about this too. :lookaroun

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
The WDW Village Resort became the Disney Institute and has since evolved into SSR. The Golf Resort is now Shades of Green.

noname70

Original Poster
As usual Monty is correct. Is the book your refering to a large blue cover hardback?

It's a large green cover hardback from 1986 simply titled Walt Disney World. It's fun to read as it talks about a lot of things that are no longer around. It reads like a chamber of commerce type book.

:animwink:

brent2124

It's a large green cover hardback from 1986 simply titled Walt Disney World. It's fun to read as it talks about a lot of things that are no longer around. It reads like a chamber of commerce type book.

:animwink:
I found this book in my Grandmothers attic a few months ago and it is AWESOME! Its called the first 10 years of the Vacation Kingdom. It can be a little sad looking and what was but very cool to see how it has grown since.

noname70

Original Poster
The WDW Village Resort became the Disney Institute and has since evolved into SSR. The Golf Resort is now Shades of Green.

Thanks Monty. I was thinking they might be Shades of Green and GF. Do you know when the GF was added? I know the monorail was already in place so did they modify the route or was there room to slide it in?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Thanks Monty. I was thinking they might be Shades of Green and GF. Do you know when the GF was added? I know the monorail was already in place so did they modify the route or was there room to slide it in?
GF opened June 28, 1988. No idea what was involved with the monorail.

Animaniac93-98

December 1973, it was then changed to The Disney Inn in February 1986. It became Shades of Green 8 years later.

Edit: Brian no function. Thought GF was Golf Resort. Ya, messed up right?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yep, the Monorail was already there, as was the land, for the GF since it had been reserved for the Asian Resort. Floridian Way was still called Asian Way until the GF was built. I recall the Monorail shuttling whilst the station at the GF was being built.

Interesting tid bit - the Golf Resort wasn`t meant to be a resort. It was originally a large club house for the Palm and Magnolia courses, but so many golfers wanted to stay `on course` they added rooms and hotel infrastructure, hence the name.

Here is the newly opened resort - the bottom half is the new addition, the top half the original club house. Notice the space for the Asian / GF too.

0111-0364.jpg

The village resort was the original community for WDW. It was to have been built in tandem with E.P.C.O.T. As EPCOT moved from city to park Lake Buena Vista Village was to have been WDWs main residential resort, but as it was buiilt through the 70`s became an executive getaway and then a guest resort. The Village was originally to be the shopping village for residents as well as guests, the Sun Bank building was the first of a proposed 13 office blocks, a 600 acre expansion was to have been built along the eastern border - project 50 with 900 apartments - a downtown complex with a highrise tower would have been built as the center of LBV and the whole south east area serviced by a WEDway linked to the eastern Monorail spur.

fillerup

The village resort was the original community for WDW. It was to have been built in tandem with E.P.C.O.T. As EPCOT moved from city to park Lake Buena Vista Village was to have been WDWs main residential resort, but as it was buiilt through the 70`s became an executive getaway and then a guest resort.

Just to add a tidbit or two to this, the one to three bedroom townhouses were built out in two phases to a total of 133. I believe around 65 or so were open to occupancy in October '71 when MK opened.

Most of these were leased on an annual basis to companies that had been involved in the construction such as Martin Marietta and General Electric. Vendors in the MK and resorts also leased many of the units - Bordens, Kraft Foods, Coca Cola, Kodak, Welch's and Sara Lee, to name a few.

These companies sent their VIPs, Execs, and often retail contest winners to stay in the townhomes, generally treating them like royalty, making sure they checked in to find refrigerators and pantries fully stocked and plenty of ticket booklets for their guests.

By the time all 133 units had opened, many were offered as short term rentals to the general public, at rates as high as $200 per night, if you can imagine paying so much....

EPCOT Explorer

Yep, the Monorail was already there, as was the land, for the GF since it had been reserved for the Asian Resort. Floridian Way was still called Asian Way until the GF was built. I recall the Monorail shuttling whilst the station at the GF was being built.

Interesting tid bit - the Golf Resort wasn`t meant to be a resort. It was originally a large club house for the Palm and Magnolia courses, but so many golfers wanted to stay `on course` they added rooms and hotel infrastructure, hence the name.

Here is the newly opened resort - the bottom half is the new addition, the top half the original club house. Notice the space for the Asian / GF too.

0111-0364.jpg

The village resort was the original community for WDW. It was to have been built in tandem with E.P.C.O.T. As EPCOT moved from city to park Lake Buena Vista Village was to have been WDWs main residential resort, but as it was buiilt through the 70`s became an executive getaway and then a guest resort. The Village was originally to be the shopping village for residents as well as guests, the Sun Bank building was the first of a proposed 13 office blocks, a 600 acre expansion was to have been built along the eastern border - project 50 with 900 apartments - a downtown complex with a highrise tower would have been built as the center of LBV and the whole south east area serviced by a WEDway linked to the eastern Monorail spur.
Interesting as always, Martin!:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom