The Gaming Industry: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Mike S

Original Poster
My backlog is awful. I have at least 400 plus games on it going back to the sega master sytem and NES. The way I've delt with it is to just give up. Lol
200.gif

Jimmy Thick

Question...Has Wing Commander Privateer been upgraded at all or is it the same graphics from 1993?

Same 1993 graphics, but same great game play. GoG does a great job of getting those older titles to play on modern systems, if you buy a game and it don't work a quick email to their support and they will get it working for you, or they have for me in the past. My days of config and autoexec file tweaking has long since passed.

I think GoG is owned by CD Projekt who made the Witcher series.

erasure fan1

I just picked up song of the deep on xbox. I'm not sure why it got so many bad reviews. So far it has been pretty good if you like Metroidvania games. And it was only $3.75!

erasure fan1

So it looks like gamestop is most likely going to be bought by a private equity firm. I can't see this ending well for them. We all saw what happened to toys r us after a similar buyout. I know digital has taken away from their business, but really I think trade gouging has hurt their overall reputation. When you selling used games for 1, more than what a new game costs or just a few dollars less. And 2, you are giving such a small amount for trade, you tick people off. A switch is getting $190 credit or $152 cash, but they resell for only $20 off new. Why go to gamestop you can do better on ebay. I rarely buy a game that is over $10 there anymore. It's sad because there isn't any great video game stores anymore.

Jahona

So it looks like gamestop is most likely going to be bought by a private equity firm. I can't see this ending well for them. We all saw what happened to toys r us after a similar buyout. I know digital has taken away from their business, but really I think trade gouging has hurt their overall reputation. When you selling used games for 1, more than what a new game costs or just a few dollars less. And 2, you are giving such a small amount for trade, you tick people off. A switch is getting $190 credit or $152 cash, but they resell for only $20 off new. Why go to gamestop you can do better on ebay. I rarely buy a game that is over $10 there anymore. It's sad because there isn't any great video game stores anymore.

Pretty much this. I realize in a trade in situation I can't get full retail for it but when you are making over 100% profit at times then there's no incentive for me to trade in with you.

Also selling used games for full retail just because that location doesn't have a new copy in stock is poor form.
Purchasing hardware from Gamestop is fine I guess, but then again most other box retailers also have stock for the same prices new.

My biggest hope is that ThinkGeek doesn't go away, I believe that brand has a lot more value to it than Gamestop.

Mike S

Original Poster
And like Toys R Us the big execs that made the poor decisions that led to the companies downfall will get million dollar golden parachutes while the workers get squat.

Makes me wish I could get a job like that. I don’t even have to be qualified because I’d get millions either way.

Last edited:

TwilightZone

I'm in the minority, but I really love gamestop! Getting a gift card or preordering a game in public is one of the joys of the world.
Wouldn't be the same once it becomes walmart.

erasure fan1

I'm in the minority, but I really love gamestop! Getting a gift card or preordering a game in public is one of the joys of the world.
Wouldn't be the same once it becomes walmart.
I agree, I've always had a soft spot for video game stores. Things were better with competition. Before gamestop took over Electronics boutique and we had a few different stores gamestop was better. Once they had the market to themselves, that's where they really slipped. I still go in and look around I just don't often spend a lot.

erasure fan1

Well crap...when is EA going to learn what consumers want?

http://www.darkhorizons.com/ea-scraps-another-star-wars-game/
What's the old saying, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Of course it's no different than the Disney price hikes, as long as people show up there's no need to change. Ea sells a crap-ton of madden, fifa, battlefield... and you can't just boycott one game like mass effect andromeda, you have to hit them where it hurts. I said it when it was announced, EA is by far the WORST company that Disney could have given the contract to. I hope it comes out that Disney did this and the contract is going someplace else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom