The Gaming Industry: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I just flat out don't trust digital. Not at the time that the system is current but 5yrs or 10yrs down the road. I don't trust that the money I've spent won't just go down the drain if said company decides to shut down its network. If I buy a game, I want to be able to play it whenever I want. Just like my atari 7800, or sega master system or turbo grafix... all of which get used a lot to this day.
It is always a worry, it is one of several reasons I don't do digital music, but so far the big players have been really good about it.

I just recently went to digital (within the last year) on my games and I am really enjoying the change.

The prompt to do this was an ever so slightly damaged disk for the latest version of Doom. Getting the game to start was just a nightmare. Once it did it was fine, but the 10-15 minutes of taking the disk in and out and restarting my Xbox just plain sucked.

The next game I purchased was Destiny 2. I ordered it a few days prior to launch from my phone. The game was installed, updated and ready to run automatically on launch day. If I want to play it at a friends house I just log in with my account and it is there. I can share the game with pretty much anyone I choose that has an Xbox Live account with a few clicks.

I was pretty much sold at that point. It is just so much easier without any tangible downside.

IMHO the benefits outweigh the risk. I am also not a big replayer of games so, for meat least, the risk is pretty minimal.

Underdog

I see the convenience & space (clutter) benefits of going all digital. However, the issue I have is if you want to re-download something that the vendor has then lost the license / permission to sale. Then you've lost your product with nothing to show. Until there is some form of guarantee that I can *always* re download my purchased games, then I'm not all in.

Besides, some of my purchases are 'long time rentals', and sell or swap with friends / family. If consumer friendly options become available in an electronic format, and the sell back values are fair, then maybe I'll invest even more. This is what plagued Microsoft's Xbox 1 launch and gave Sony market share.

There will always be some games I will want a physical copy of, probably for nostalgia and collectability.

My real fear going forward is GaaS (Games as a Service). Subscribing for features and things that previously were part off a $60 package doesn't sit well with me. :mad::banghead::cry:

It is always a worry, it is one of several reasons I don't do digital music, but so far the big players have been really good about it.

I just recently went to digital (within the last year) on my games and I am really enjoying the change.

The prompt to do this was an ever so slightly damaged disk for the latest version of Doom. Getting the game to start was just a nightmare. Once it did it was fine, but the 10-15 minutes of taking the disk in and out and restarting my Xbox just plain sucked.

The next game I purchased was Destiny 2. I ordered it a few days prior to launch from my phone. The game was installed, updated and ready to run automatically on launch day. If I want to play it at a friends house I just log in with my account and it is there. I can share the game with pretty much anyone I choose that has an Xbox Live account with a few clicks.

I was pretty much sold at that point. It is just so much easier without any tangible downside.

IMHO the benefits outweigh the risk. I am also not a big replayer of games so, for meat least, the risk is pretty minimal.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I see the convenience & space (clutter) benefits of going all digital. However, the issue I have is if you want to re-download something that the vendor has then lost the license / permission to sale. Then you've lost your product with nothing to show. Until there is some form of guarantee that I can *always* re download my purchased games, then I'm not all in.

Besides, some of my purchases are 'long time rentals', and sell or swap with friends / family. If consumer friendly options become available in an electronic format, and the sell back values are fair, then maybe I'll invest even more. This is what plagued Microsoft's Xbox 1 launch and gave Sony market share.

There will always be some games I will want a physical copy of, probably for nostalgia and collectability.

My real fear going forward is GaaS (Games as a Service). Subscribing for features and things that previously were part off a $60 package doesn't sit well with me. :mad::banghead::cry:
That is a legit concern, but has there ever been a case of it happening?

erasure fan1

I'm not very fond of games as service either. I think fortnite has the right idea with it being free and you can buy optional things. I will never spend $60 on a games as service game. The most I've paid is $20 for battlefront 1 and plants vs zombies garden warfare 2. I'm more of a single player gamer so I could never justify paying 60 for a game that in 3 years or so might not be playable anymore.

Cesar R M

I just cant imagine gaming without physical copies. What am I going to display on my shelves? What am I going to lend to friends or buy used? Where can I get overpriced collector editions??
There are companies that actually sends you the empty box (or the design so you can print it yourself) of the game.. Or just buy the collector's editions.. those are physical :p

Cesar R M

A few companies, Steam included.. have said that they would release patches if they go under.. Also most of the games can be transformed into standalone (as they also have offers for "windows" and "Origin" or "Games for windows" versions other than steam)

That is a legit concern, but has there ever been a case of it happening?

There was the case of a game that lost the license, it disappeared from Steam list. But those who owned the game could still play it with no issue.
The license in question was music. So they could not sell it anymore, but they could still allow players to play the game.

erasure fan1

So what does everyone think of the new cyberpunk 2077 gameplay trailer? I wasn't really too sold on it from yhe e3 stuff. But this gameplay looked pretty cool and I love cd project red. I'm not super big on first person but it has a bioshock borderlands sorta vibe, so I think it could be all right. I'm looking forward to seeing more now.

Mike S

Original Poster
So what does everyone think of the new cyberpunk 2077 gameplay trailer? I wasn't really too sold on it from yhe e3 stuff. But this gameplay looked pretty cool and I love cd project red. I'm not super big on first person but it has a bioshock borderlands sorta vibe, so I think it could be all right. I'm looking forward to seeing more now.
Too long for me to finish but what I did see looked cool lol

The_Jobu

I cant remember the last time I was this excited about a game. Maybe ME3 or Arkham Asylum. As a rule, I stopped pre-ordering games but CDPR can have my money.

erasure fan1

I cant remember the last time I was this excited about a game. Maybe ME3 or Arkham Asylum. As a rule, I stopped pre-ordering games but CDPR can have my money.
Yea, CD project red are fantastic. Even though I wasn't crazy about the style of the game, witcher 3 was SOOOO good, I have to give them the benefit. The side quests in witcher 3 are better than a lot of RPGs main quests. It sounds like cyberpunk is just going to build on that and then some. I'm expecting a 200+ hour game at least.

Cesar R M

I'm cautiously optimist myself..

Because it looks like a super improved version of Deus Ex Man kind Divided.

But also cautiously because there are rumors that the demo was heavily cooked. And the real demo being played in the back (not recorded and configured for current gen tech with consoles in mind). Looks severely downgraded in graphics quality and density of details.

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Those rumours are false, what we saw the other day was what was shown/played behind closed door, and was played on current PC tech.

Cesar R M

Those rumours are false, what we saw the other day was what was shown/played behind closed door, and was played on current PC tech.
good to know!

Still, no preorder for me. I'm sick of being a beta tester and that the final product is a huge downgrade from what was promised (see Mass Effect Andromeda horrible state on launch and then their subsequent abandonment without fixing all the remaining glaring bugs). EA soured preordering forever for me.

erasure fan1

good to know!

Still, no preorder for me. I'm sick of being a beta tester and that the final product is a huge downgrade from what was promised (see Mass Effect Andromeda horrible state on launch and then their subsequent abandonment without fixing all the remaining glaring bugs). EA soured preordering forever for me.
Well the good news is CD project red isn't EA, and thank god for that. I just hope EA never buys them. I wont pre order either. I always like to see the final product before I slap down $60.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
good to know!

You must be unaware of the business that is early access then lol. A lot of games are released before they're finished and take years to fully reach development.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom