The Gaming Industry: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Mike S

Original Poster
To be quite honest I haven't cared about E3 at all because I've been waiting for the Nintendo conference.

Though there have been some great announcements for the Switch I've seen from the preceding days!
With all the announcements I’ll be shocked if there’s no representation for Ubisoft or Bethesda in Smash. I vote for Rayman and Doom Guy.

TwilightZone

With all the announcements I’ll be shocked if there’s no representation for Ubisoft or Bethesda in Smash. I vote for Rayman and Doom Guy.
Rayman would be the dream.
King K Rool would be even dreamier.
Marx would be the dreamiest.
Lemme play as marx please he was so good in star allies I need him.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
My “not even in your dreams” wish for Smash would be Klonoa. If Namco is working on this one to, it’s not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

Jahona

So if you linked your EPIC account to your Play Station good luck ever playing on any other platform but PC. Switch users are documenting their accounts are locked out and they aren't able to log in.

erasure fan1

So if you linked your EPIC account to your Play Station good luck ever playing on any other platform but PC. Switch users are documenting their accounts are locked out and they aren't able to log in.

The funny part is sony thinks this will help keep them winning. And while it might for this gen, anti consumer actions like this are what can kill you the next generation. At this point, Xbox is by far the most consumer/gamer friendly system. I love that I can play minecraft or fortnite with my nephews with one on PC and the other on switch.

Mike S

Original Poster
The funny part is sony thinks this will help keep them winning. And while it might for this gen, anti consumer actions like this are what can kill you the next generation. At this point, Xbox is by far the most consumer/gamer friendly system. I love that I can play minecraft or fortnite with my nephews with one on PC and the other on switch.
If they keep making amazing games there won’t be as big a dent as you think. The best way to see this in action is all the events over the past few years. The Switch is missing a ton of different features but it sells based on the games that are already out and coming in the future. Some of these features even the Wii U had but that system failed due to its numerous droughts and lack of games. This is also happening between the PS4 and Xbox One where the PS4 is the undisputed king for its quality exclusives even though the Xbox One has things like backwards compatibility, cross platform play, and gamepass. Games will always be the #1 qualifier for if a console is successful. Not features, not power (PS1 & 2 were both weaker than the competition), but games. The console is just the box you need to buy to play them.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If they keep making amazing games there won’t be as big a dent as you think. The best way to see this in action is all the events over the past few years. The Switch is missing a ton of different features but it sells based on the games that are already out and coming in the future. Some of these features even the Wii U had but that system failed due to its numerous droughts and lack of games. This is also happening between the PS4 and Xbox One where the PS4 is the undisputed king for its quality exclusives even though the Xbox One has things like backwards compatibility, cross platform play, and gamepass. Games will always be the #1 qualifier for if a console is successful. Not features, not power (PS1 & 2 were both weaker than the competition), but games. The console is just the box you need to buy to play them.
We are not far from that being irrelevant.

Most experts expect one more console generation before we move to dumb terminals. When that happens service is going to matter even more than it does now.

Cesar R M

In my case..Metro and Kingdom Hearts are pulling me in.

I'm watching Anthem cautiously but it seems like a "Destiny" clone done right. But after Mass Effect Andromeda and their bulls.. PR and cooked "gameplay" I definitively wont preorder any bioware title EVER.

erasure fan1

You are 100% correct, games sell systems. But i will offer up one thing. The main portion of games sold is 3rd party multi platform. Call of duty, battlefield, overwatch, assassins creed... if with xbox you can play those games with anyone you are more likely to go that route. Now exlusives do help of course. Exclusives didn't hurt xbox this gen, it was anti consumer friendly things that caused people to stay away. It can have a very damaging effect.

Mike S

Original Poster
We are not far from that being irrelevant.

Most experts expect one more console generation before we move to dumb terminals. When that happens service is going to matter even more than it does now.
Maybe not as everyone is looking like they’ll be offering their own services like EA is doing.
You are 100% correct, games sell systems. But i will offer up one thing. The main portion of games sold is 3rd party multi platform. Call of duty, battlefield, overwatch, assassins creed... if with xbox you can play those games with anyone you are more likely to go that route. Now exlusives do help of course. Exclusives didn't hurt xbox this gen, it was anti consumer friendly things that caused people to stay away. It can have a very damaging effect.
More games need to offer it first like CoD and Battlefield.
BFII wasn't the superstar EA wanted but it did sell very well.

Same for TLJ...
Did it?
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...efront-2-disappoints-with-over-7-million-sold

Underdog

Maybe not as everyone is looking like they’ll be offering their own services like EA is doing.

More games need to offer it first like CoD and Battlefield.

Did it?
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...efront-2-disappoints-with-over-7-million-sold

""For Q3, we had expected to sell about 8 million units, but we fell short of that by less than 1 million units," Jorgensen said. "
From the article, missing their own sales expectations by 1 Mil (or less) is a miss, but 7 mil is *not* small by any imagination. It's not the crazy number that the previous version did, but that wasn't their expectation.

erasure fan1

Once again, I'm a bit disappointed in the Disney video game content, or should I say lack there of, at E3 again. They have an IP library like no other but seem to not want to do anything with it. I can't believe that no studio wants to work with any of the Disney franchises. So it has to be Disney.

Mike S

Original Poster
Loot boxes, broadly speaking, have gotten a bit of a bad rap. The game mechanic of buying something that you’re not sure what’s inside is as old as baseball cards. What we believe at Nintendo is that a gameplay mechanic that offers the consumer something to buy that they’re not sure what’s inside can be interesting as long as that’s not the only way you can get those items. And that’s where some developers have made some mistakes. For us, its one of many mechanics we can use to drive on-going engagement in the game.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-aime-hits-back-at-analysts-as-stock-declines
CmjZjs9.gif

We haven’t seen anything beyond the free mobile games yet. Please don’t pull an EA Nintendo, PLEASE!!!! The big test will be later this year if loot boxes all of a sudden appear in Pokémon or Smash.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

Cesar R M

If what is in a loot box, is purely cosmetic, then I have no problems. I get loot crates in rocket league all the time but its all cosmetic so its easy to ignore.
Agree, cosmetics are fine, paying for content that you already paid is the lame thing to do. See EA and their multiple exclusive and blocking DLCs, or Call of Duty's DLC maps that also blocks users from playing.

Mike S

Original Poster
If what is in a loot box, is purely cosmetic, then I have no problems. I get loot crates in rocket league all the time but its all cosmetic so its easy to ignore.
Agree, cosmetics are fine, paying for content that you already paid is the lame thing to do. See EA and their multiple exclusive and blocking DLCs, or Call of Duty's DLC maps that also blocks users from playing.
After getting into Fortnite, cosmetics aren’t that great either. I’ve gone through a bit of the temptation myself but so far haven’t gotten anything except the $10 Battle Pass. They may not be in loot boxes but the way the store is set up where you don’t know when something will appear one day and if it’ll ever come back does get you. Fortnite is free to play though so the understanding is there that they need someway to make money but it still feels off. Imo all cosmetics should always be available for purchase unless it’s meant to be limited to holidays or whatever.

erasure fan1

After getting into Fortnite, cosmetics aren’t that great either. I’ve gone through a bit of the temptation myself but so far haven’t gotten anything except the $10 Battle Pass. They may not be in loot boxes but the way the store is set up where you don’t know when something will appear one day and if it’ll ever come back does get you. Fortnite is free to play though so the understanding is there that they need someway to make money but it still feels off. Imo all cosmetics should always be available for purchase unless it’s meant to be limited to holidays or whatever.
Fortnite is funny because it does some things very right and others not so much. The battlepass is a great way to do cosmetics. If you stick with it, you will pay for the next seasons pass plus you can see the skins, emotes, sprays... that you can get. But to charge $20 for a skin in the store, highway robbery. Lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom