The Gaming Industry: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Mike S

Original Poster
Welcome fellow gamers. Here we'll discuss the various goings on of the industry responsible for our beloved hobby. This year has been a great one with the release of the Nintendo Switch and the upcoming Xbox One X along with a multitude of new games that were announced at E3 for all platforms. But just like everything in life it's not all cotton candy and rainbows. This year has seen a big ramp up in controversies like micro transactions and loot boxes in big AAA third party games and the huge bomb that was Mass Effect: Andromeda. So, what say you? What are you excited for? What are you dreading? What are you currently playing? Without further ado, let's discuss.

The_Jobu

Mass Effect: Andromeda

No pity for EA on that mess, they gave development to the C team and got exactly what they paid for. Even when some of the MANY glitches were patched out, you were still left with a unfailingly boring crew and weak story points.

Maybe Casey Hudson can return them to glory, but he was also in charge during ME3's development, and we all know how that turned out.

Mike S

Original Poster
No pity for EA on that mess, they gave development to the C team and got exactly what they paid for. Even when some of the MANY glitches were patched out, you were still left with a unfailingly boring crew and weak story points.

Maybe Casey Hudson can return them to glory, but he was also in charge during ME3's development, and we all know how that turned out.
What do you think of Anthem? To me it just looks like EA trying to get in on games like Destiny and The Division both of which had their issues.

The_Jobu

games like Destiny and The Division.

Bingo.

Looks like another Destiny/MMPORG clone that I have 0 interest in. I know the genre is popular with others, but it just doesn't tickle my fancy and neither does Anthem. I think it will develop its own following, not huge like Destiny but maybe like Titanfall.

Mike S

Original Poster
Bingo.

Looks like another Destiny/MMPORG clone that I have 0 interest in. I know the genre is popular with others, but it just doesn't tickle my fancy and neither does Anthem. I think it will develop its own following, not huge like Destiny but maybe like Titanfall.
I don't think Titanfall will be continuing after how the sequel did which is a shame because they seemed to have fixed everything people didn't like about the first one. That seems to be a trend though because look at Watch Dogs 2. The improved sequels no matter how good carry the stigma of the originals. I think Destiny 2 is also down from the original. Just goes to show that you can't overhype a half effort product or people will feel burned.

Back to Anthem if that was a single player game I'd be jealous as a Nintendo only owner. That trailer was so cool looking but then again that's the point isn't it? They never show you potential flaws. I'm getting flashbacks to Aliens: Colonial Marines now.

TwilightZone

Well as of now I'm excited for mario odyssey, it looks like a fun and cool game. I'm dreading that switch may not get a smash bros game, it's my favorite fighting game franchise and nintendo not mentioning it at all has me a bit worried. Right now I've been playing earthbound, yoshi's island, and donkey kong country with a splash of sonic mania. As you can tell, I love me my nintendo.

Last edited:

bclane

Looks like Nintendo wants more Mature games on the Switch. Anyone subscribed to the Wall Street Journal by any chance?
https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/in...ith-a-rougher-edge-for-new-console-1507908652
I'm not a subscriber but based on what is shown for free, I'm not sure how I feel about this. I mean, one of the reasons I have always loved Nintendo is that you could count on them to have the most content for the less mature kiddos, and I assume they still willl but they can only produce so many games a year. This just feels like they are expanding away from their bread and butter market and I'm not so sure that is a good move for Nintendo. Time will tell I guess.

Mike S

Original Poster
I'm not a subscriber but based on what is shown for free, I'm not sure how I feel about this. I mean, one of the reasons I have always loved Nintendo is that you could count on them to have the most content for the less mature kiddos, and I assume they still willl but they can only produce so many games a year. This just feels like they are expanding away from their bread and butter market and I'm not so sure that is a good move for Nintendo. Time will tell I guess.
No need to worry as I think it's talking about third party Mature games though it wouldn't hurt if they had maybe Retro Studios work on something.

DisneyRoy

Thanks for this thread! I don't always have a lot of time available to game but I like to when I can! Picked up Battlefield 1 when the new all in one pack came out. That's been fun. Waiting for Mario Odyssey of course and then Battlefront 2....but don't know how much. Those loot crates have me wary.

The_Jobu

Back to Anthem if that was a single player game

If it was single player I'd take a real hard look at it, even though I'm wary of Bioware's politics lately. As a MP game though, my interest is practically none.

I can only think of 2 games where I actually enjoyed MP: ME3 (oddly enough) and Uncharted 4 (until the matchmaking went to crap).

Mike S

Original Poster
Thanks for this thread! I don't always have a lot of time available to game but I like to when I can! Picked up Battlefield 1 when the new all in one pack came out. That's been fun. Waiting for Mario Odyssey of course and then Battlefront 2....but don't know how much. Those loot crates have me wary.
Isn't everyone? Lol.

Star Wars Battlefront does indeed look fun but what makes me wary is the involvement of Electronic Arts. I just really don't like their practices. Remember that "unprecedented partnership" on the Wii U? Remember online passes? Not to mention all the other crap they've pulled like buying up developers and then sucking them dry of creativity until they've outlived their usefulness. It happened to others and right now it seems to be happening to BioWare.

EA is cancer and I hope they meet the same fate as THQ. Then maybe their franchises could end up in better hands.

...Was that too much?

bclane

Isn't everyone? Lol.

Star Wars Battlefront does indeed look fun but what makes me wary is the involvement of Electronic Arts. I just really don't like their practices. Remember that "unprecedented partnership" on the Wii U? Remember online passes? Not to mention all the other crap they've pulled like buying up developers and then sucking them dry of creativity until they've outlived their usefulness. It happened to others and right now it seems to be happening to BioWare.

EA is cancer and I hope they meet the same fate as THQ. Then maybe their franchises could end up in better hands.

...Was that too much?
Nope, sounded pretty fair and balanced to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom