The Future of Pirates of the Caribbean

Goofyernmost

I own all the Pirate movies, and I love the 1st and 3rd ones. But I still felt like Jack is an intrusion - both at WDW and DLR. I’d love to see them redo all of the animatronics, but it seems that will never happen. Likewise, I don’t see them pulling Jack. So it’s stuck as a mishmash or new and old for a while. It’s still a decent ride, both at DLR and WDW.

I’m the (apparently rare) person who has no issue with the changes for “PCness.” But I don’t think OP wants that debate opened here.
Just give it a few more years and and Jack will just be another Pirate with no real significance other then being a character in the movie. When that happens (and it is happening already) he will fit in seamlessly. It's just those of us that saw it as it originally was that have any issue and not all of us have that issue. I think it is fine and it is a tremendous AA. I prefer to just appreciate the greatness of the AA instead of getting all clogged up with minor details. Those coming years will bring in many that never knew that Pirates of the Caribbean, the ride, existed long before the movie was made.

Goofyernmost

Please try and remember that Depp is not in the PoC. There is an AA outfitted as Capt. Jack Sparrow. That is not really any tribute to Depp except that he made that character popular as an actor that portrayed a Pirate. Mr. Depp out of character is the one that has shamed himself and many others. Would it be ok if they just change the face on the AA? Why? It is just an AA in the Character of Capt. Jack. which in a few years will not have much significance at all about who it was modeled after.

Goofyernmost

The presence of the Jack figures really isn’t the problem, the problem is the ride’s entire narrative being changed to revolve around him.
The point is that it is still a story about pirates with hardly any change or definable story variation. What does it really change since it is all fiction anyway. It has been upgraded, but, that is it. It is still about the Pirates of the Caribbean.

aliceismad

I felt like the newer animatronics felt out of place amidst the old animatronics.

(I do appreciate the quality of the animatronics though. And I do love the Captain Jack character.)

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

Not only would I been fine with removing the watered down Florida Pirates, I'd be fine with MK having no Pirate ride at all (since it was never intended).

I'd use both Pirates AND the Adventureland expansion pad to build something similar to Arabian Coast at DisneySea. It would feature a relocated and improved Carpet ride, plus an indoor suspended coaster through the Cave of Wonders, a two level Restaurant/Emporium and a smaller outdoor boat ride inside the Sultan's palace garden. Then the original Adventureland courtyard and bazaar could restored to their formal tropical self with more outdoor seating for the juice bar too.

bubbles1812

I am not sorry for my comment because I feel like any normal person would be like me. I rode the orlando version all my life, heard about how much better Disneyland's was but i took it with a grain of salt. Waited in a huge queue which wasnt as nice as orlando, and my expectations were set event lower. Not only did it blow my mind once the ride started, but I could never ride the WDW version again and be perfectly happy.. But then again, most people who consider themselves disney fans, never actually bother to go to the west coast and experience the other park.
What does that mean? Any ‘normal person would be like me’? Any normal person is capable of liking multiple things... I’ve ridden WDW’s version. I’ve ridden Disneyland’s version. Heck, I’ve ridden Disneyland Paris’ version. I’m not going to tell you in which order I rank them in my head. I’ll only tell you that I enjoyed them all.

It seems silly and a bit asinine to imply that you can’t be a ‘true Disney fan’ unless you bother with the west coast park. Should we extrapolate that out to you can’t be a true Disney fan until you’ve been to all parks worldwide? Do you have to visit the resort in Hawaii? Be a DVC member? Live in Orlando? Or is it until you’ve been to all the parks and watched all the movies in Disney canon? Or not until you’ve done that and watched all their bought content as well? (So now you need to watch every Fox movie ever made. Don’t forget the Muppets, Star Wars, Pixar, and Marvel either.) There’s no set of rules or list to check off to become a Disney fan.

You don’t have to love the WDW version of Pirates if you don’t want to. More power to you. But I laughed that you can’t be ‘perfectly happy’ now. I’m perfectly happy riding either version... because that means I’m in a Disney Park.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

What does that mean? Any ‘normal person would be like me’? Any normal person is capable of liking multiple things... I’ve ridden WDW’s version. I’ve ridden Disneyland’s version. Heck, I’ve ridden Disneyland Paris’ version. I’m not going to tell you in which order I rank them in my head. I’ll only tell you that I enjoyed them all.

It seems silly and a bit asinine to imply that you can’t be a ‘true Disney fan’ unless you bother with the west coast park. Should we extrapolate that out to you can’t be a true Disney fan until you’ve been to all parks worldwide? Do you have to visit the resort in Hawaii? Be a DVC member? Live in Orlando? Or is it until you’ve been to all the parks and watched all the movies in Disney canon? Or not until you’ve done that and watched all their bought content as well? (So now you need to watch every Fox movie ever made. Don’t forget the Muppets, Star Wars, Pixar, and Marvel either.) There’s no set of rules or list to check off to become a Disney fan.

You don’t have to love the WDW version of Pirates if you don’t want to. More power to you. But I laughed that you can’t be ‘perfectly happy’ now. I’m perfectly happy riding either version... because that means I’m in a Disney Park.
Very well put! Just like anything else there are many Disney snobs. Those that define what people should or shouldn't like. Those that never give something new a chance or even if they do, look at them with a tainted outlook.

Like yourself, I have been to the same three parks, Disneyland, WDW and Disneyland Paris. As for PoC, each one was either measurably different, (I'm talking to you Paris), or the two on this continent are only slightly different and that is with the beginning and a couple of scenes, but, even the differences are what gives each one his own charm.The beginning had very little to do with Pirates and was more of a re-creation of the bayou in connection with New Orleans. Yes, they had pirates there, but, you didn't see any until you got to the lower level. Longer, but, most of the extra time was spent floating through that bayou.

I enjoyed Disneyland for what it was, just as I enjoy WDW and DLP for what they are. All Disney Parks, all well done and all pure Disney. My main park has always been WDW and I have never seen any reason to fly cross country or to Paris to see either one of them again. I enjoyed them but, not enough to draw me back. One and done with them. I have been to WDW over 45 times in 36 years and you wouldn't believe the number of things that I still haven't seen or experienced there.

Last edited:

Raineman

Space Mountain is a horrible ride, IMO, and the Disneyland version is better. Let’s demolish it and put in something else or put in Disneyland’s version! Better yet, let’s take all of the “better” versions around the world of all WDW attractions and install them at WDW! Let’s take away any individuality that WDW has! :rolleyes: Give me a break. How about we use the hundreds of acres of usable space in RCID to build new attractions instead of bulldozing attractions that thousands and thousands of people still enjoy every day. If PoTC was sitting there day after day and nobody was riding, then a case could be made to remove it (see Horizons), but that is not the case here.

Incomudro

I don't think Jack Sparrow is going anywhere unless something really bad and proven comes out about Johnny Depp.
I liked the version before Jack Sparrow and like the version with him.
My only problem with the ride is the change to the redhead.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom