The Forgotten Kingdom?

krankenstein

The last really new thing to come to MK i believe was Mickeys Phillhar Magic, while its a nice little 3d show it is far from a mojor E-Ticket

Nah, that would be MILF...unless you count Stitch's Supersonic Bomb. :lol:

I agree with everything that has been stated. The park is always crowded and yet they continue to reduce offerings. Think about how long The Timekeeper set around with nothing replacing it. That simply shouldn't happen in the #1 theme park in the world. The park should keep the classics, while pulsing them, but continue to add to the park. It's time for them to add something, anything, to the park. It needs it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It comes down to one simple thing. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Right now MK is not squeaking. HKDL and DCA were squeaking like no other. As long as the people keep lining up to come into MK expect more of the same at WDW.

Goofy316

You misread what I am saying. DHS and DAK need the most added to them, but in no way, shape or form do I think they need more help than the MK. IMO MK is the worst park at WDW. It's classics are in bad shape, and it needs 2 E tickets, yes 2, and a few C/Ds to bring it up to snuff, along with some refurbs/overhauls of the classics.

Now I'm not going to be some crazy fanboi and say all this needs to be done now, but a nice 10-15 year plan announcement would be nice

I dont really agree with the fact that the MK is the worst park out of the 4, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I do agree with the fact that the MK needs more attractions and some TLC to the classics like The Jungle Cruise and maybe a DL update on Small World. That might bring it back to the forefront where it belongs but when you are talking about WDW you have 4 theme parks, 2 water parks and all of the hotels, not to mention the golf courses and Downtown Disney to throw the money around in. For me, I do agree with the fact that the Magic Kingdom needs to be the center piece and should shine above the rest, there are other areas that need it more.

The Disney Girl

I don't think there's really that much wrong with MK. Tomorrowland could definitely need some refurbishment, but other than that I think Disney's on track. Like stated earlier, they are getting The Little Mermaid, and I've heard there may be some redesigning of the area behind the castle. Also, it's not like they're not taking care of what's already there...Haunted Mansion and HoP just got refurbed...

I agree with the fact that AK and DHS are seriously lacking...they should come first.

njDizFan

It just proves how far-fetched and little needed a 5th gate actually has become. Billions need to be spent on the 4 parks plus a reasonable retooling of DTD.

It's so hard to say where the first plan of attack should start but I wouldn't complain as long as one of them got started.

It's almost a disadvantage to have such an enormous park with limited amounts of money to spread out over all that is needed.

Animaniac93-98

Does MK need some TLC and a nice addition? Probably, but the crowds keep piling in so, why would they?

Gee, I don't know, I mean they could increase capacity further which would not only allow more crowds to come but keep guests in longer which would increase spending and make more profit for Disney.

But hey, that's only business sense, I don't want crowds ruining my vacation. Long term buisness plans are SO 1990s.

WDW makes money, but could make even more. I'm stunned that the twits who stare at spredsheets all day can only think up something like Pirate League could increase spending. It's short term thinking that dicates how WDW and MK are changed and if something does not provide immediate return on investment it doesn't get built. Sad for a company that will own a park much longer than the next fiscal quarter, but more likely the big wigs want money in thier pockets as soon as possible. I doubt many are thinking if they will work for the mouse 10 years from now.

Fun2BFree

MK is receiving much-needed refurbs to its attractions -- Pirates, Space, HM, IASW, HoP. Frankly, I would infinitely prefer that these classics get the care they need rather than add some new attractions and let the others fall apart.

MK is/could be the Crown Jewel of Disney Parks, if you ask me.

Nuh-uh. Disneyland will always be the crown jewel, being the first of its kind, revolutionising the amusement-park industry and being, of course, Walt's baby. No amount of money and size can recreate charm, and Disneyland has it in abundance. Magic Kingdom is merely the crown jewel of WDW, and nothing else.

EPCOT Explorer

I don't think there's really that much wrong with MK. Tomorrowland could definitely need some refurbishment, but other than that I think Disney's on track. Like stated earlier, they are getting The Little Mermaid, and I've heard there may be some redesigning of the area behind the castle. Also, it's not like they're not taking care of what's already there...Haunted Mansion and HoP just got refurbed...

I agree with the fact that AK and DHS are seriously lacking...they should come first.

But, shouldn't they be keeping attractions up to date? Isn't that what made Disney great, a attraction always in top working condition and clean of all things?

I remember being younger and thinking WDW was the cleanest place in the world.:lol:

Animaniac93-98

MK is receiving much-needed refurbs to its attractions -- Pirates, Space, HM, IASW, HoP. Frankly, I would infinitely prefer that these classics get the care they need rather than add some new attractions and let the others fall apart.

We can't have both?

Nah, that's too bold. I mean we can't even get a properly refurbished Pirates (or one with effects taken care of, missing hats anyone?).

EPCOT Explorer

Nuh-uh. Disneyland will always be the crown jewel, being the first of its kind, revolutionising the amusement-park industry and being, of course, Walt's baby. No amount of money and size can recreate charm, and Disneyland has it in abundance. Magic Kingdom is merely the crown jewel of WDW, and nothing else.
Yu huh?:lookaroun

The way they marketed MK and subsequently, WDW, they made it seem as though WDW was the top of the top. Yes, Disneyland will always be the original, the prototype, but MK was what Walt planned for. More space, more land, more room for his dreams.

Just how I see it.:shrug:

Fun2BFree

We can't have both?

Nah, that's too bold. I mean we can't even get a properly refurbished Pirates (or one with effects taken care of, missing hats anyone?).

WDW is getting both. MK isn't, but DHS and DAK need it more. Until MK attendance plummets at an enormous rate (not gonna happen), there's no reason why it should be bunked up the list for new additions.

Fun2BFree

Yu huh?:lookaroun

The way they marketed MK and subsequently, WDW, they made it seem as though WDW was the top of the top. Yes, Disneyland will always be the original, the prototype, but MK was what Walt planned for. More space, more land, more room for his dreams.

Just how I see it.:shrug:

...Double nuh-uh. MK is the sequel. Disneyland was a phenomenon that changed everything forever. Walt didn't even want MK that much -- an East Coast Disneyland was a bargaining chip to get EPCOT, his real dream. Magic Kingdom improved in certain respects on Disneyland, but you can't beat a park that Walt oversaw personally from beginning to end. It's his.

EDIT: Aargh, double post. I hate doing that.

EPCOT Explorer

WDW is getting both. MK isn't, but DHS and DAK need it more. Until MK attendance plummets at an enormous rate (not gonna happen), there's no reason why it should be bunked up the list for new additions.
What about show then? Isn't that the heart of the Disney ideals?

And capacity, too. For how much longer can the MK take in more and more people every year in a ratio with the same tired rides?

...Double nuh-uh. MK is the sequel. Disneyland was a phenomenon that changed everything forever. Walt didn't even want MK that much -- an East Coast Disneyland was a bargaining chip to get EPCOT, his real dream. Magic Kingdom improved in certain respects on Disneyland, but you can't beat a park that Walt oversaw personally from beginning to end. It's his.

EDIT: Aargh, double post. I hate doing that.
Right, making it the technical crown jewel. It's bigger, has the opportunity for more, and is on a far grander scale. As you mentioned, EPCOT.

Nostalgia, like you imply is what keeps DL on top. It's the Figurehead.:lol::lookaroun

NewfieFan

It comes down to one simple thing. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Right now MK is not squeaking. HKDL and DCA were squeaking like no other. As long as the people keep lining up to come into MK expect more of the same at WDW.

See, this is what I don't get! When attendance is down, the excuse is the money is not there to fix/add/improve but when attendance is up, the excuse is why fix it if it ain't broke? So which is it? If we all abandon the parks will they spend the money or if we show up in droves will they spend the money?

Fun2BFree

What about show then? Isn't that the heart of the Disney ideals?

And capacity, too. For how much longer can the MK take in more and more people every year in a ratio with the same tired rides?

Everyone acts as if MK has laid untouched by WDI for seventeen years, but we've seen capacity boosts in the form of Philharmagic, Buzz, Magic Carpets and MLF, being able to take more people than their predecessors. MK doesn't need big new attractions like the other parks do, and if anything, the refurbishment of several classic attractions is a chief example of good show.

Right, making it the technical crown jewel. It's bigger, has the opportunity for more, and is on a far grander scale. As you mentioned, EPCOT.

Nostalgia, like you imply is what keeps DL on top. It's the Figurehead.:lol::lookaroun

Only in the same way that say, Phantom Menace is a better technical film than the original Star Wars. MK has 'the blessing of size' and utilidors etc., but Disneyland has the Walt factor, its long history, more E-Tickets and charm that can't match MK's spectacle. It's one thing to be awed, yet much more to be cosy.

Figment632

Im not helping that cause Ive been over 10 times in the past 5 years and im heading back next month and January :brick:

WishIwasThere

I agree with Master Yoda...But also look at history. When DL opened, the ride line-up was pitiful compared to today. It needed the 1959 additions to make it a full day park. When MK opened, tomorrowland was almost non-existant. Pirates didn't even open until 1973. Compared to todays line-up of rides, 1971 was pretty bad. Flash forward to 2005 and see that HKDL looks like the other MK's when they opened, 1/2 day parks. So yes the writing has been on the wall since day 1, so certainly not unexpected.

For those who have been to DCA, they have to admit that it really needs that $1B to make it a Disney park, not some Six Flags substitute.

The benefit we have with WDW is that when we have our 1/2 day parks, such as AK circa 1999, and MGM circa 1989, we can park hop over to Epcot and MK for the rest of the day.

Until we see a decline in attendance with WDW, I don't see the suits investing much in the parks for expansion. The sad part is if you look at the ride line-up for all the MK parks, WDW MK is second from the bottom, with HKDL being the bottom. Sounds like that once the expansion is done, ours will be at the bottom again, but we will still have the highest attendance of all the parks. :brick:

jonnyc

If everything was perfect what would we have to talk about? :shrug:

Anywho, I agree with the sentiment that more needs to be added to DHS and AK before extensive work goes on at MK. Mainly because DHS is my favourite park and I want more added there! :p

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I agree with Master Yoda...But also look at history. When DL opened, the ride line-up was pitiful compared to today. It needed the 1959 additions to make it a full day park. When MK opened, tomorrowland was almost non-existant. Pirates didn't even open until 1973. Compared to todays line-up of rides, 1971 was pretty bad. Flash forward to 2005 and see that HKDL looks like the other MK's when they opened, 1/2 day parks. So yes the writing has been on the wall since day 1, so certainly not unexpected.

For those who have been to DCA, they have to admit that it really needs that $1B to make it a Disney park, not some Six Flags substitute.

The benefit we have with WDW is that when we have our 1/2 day parks, such as AK circa 1999, and MGM circa 1989, we can park hop over to Epcot and MK for the rest of the day.

Until we see a decline in attendance with WDW, I don't see the suits investing much in the parks for expansion. The sad part is if you look at the ride line-up for all the MK parks, WDW MK is second from the bottom, with HKDL being the bottom. Sounds like that once the expansion is done, ours will be at the bottom again, but we will still have the highest attendance of all the parks. :brick:
Agree wholeheartedly. Considering that WDW has what could be considered 2 half day parks you have to think that at least someone in management is thinking that they can solve MK attendance bulge issues by attracting people to the other parks. Make it to where a guest wants to spend an entire day at AK or DHS instead of half at one then heading back to MK spreads out the crowds a bit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom