The forgotten educational series "Language Arts Through Imagination" starring Figment (Now in better quality)

brb1006

Original Poster
Here's a piece of Epcot and Disney history that is very obscure in the Disney community.

During Epcot's heyday, in the late 1980's. Disney Educational Production and Epcot Educational Media decided to make an educational series called "Language Arts Through Imagination" starring Figment from Journey Into Imagination with Billy Barty reprising his role. The video series was made in September of 1988 till September of 1989. The animation was done in Chicago animation studio Cioni Artworks with Ray Cioni and Jon McClenahan being credited as the directors. As a result of it's obscurity, the series remained difficult to find for years until a small clip of one of the episodes was uploaded to youtube a few years ago. However the videos were very short and not in good quality.

However, an unlisted playlist was created in May 2017 and was discovered by @TJJohn12 which had all the episodes in good quality and clearer audio.

Here's the playlist

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuL0d0AOafoeP_3inPxbnjxRweElG7k-9

A full episode titled "How Does Sound Sound?"

Here's an article from 2016 written by Jim Korkis titled "The Forgotten Films Of Figment"
https://www.mouseplanet.com/11360/The_Forgotten_Films_of_Figment

This was also one of the few times Figment was spotted outside of the original attraction until 2014 with the Figment comics by Marvel as part of the Disney Kingdoms series and his cameo in Disney/Pixar's Inside Out.
latest

@marni1971 @Figments Friend and will love this.

Last edited:

TJJohn12

So just a clarification on this one...

I was able to request VHS copies of *some* of the episodes (2 tapes worth) via interlibrary loan through my university. There’s very few VHS copies left in the national library sharing system, so I’m lucky that there was a library willing to loan them.

Then I did video capture at the highest quality I could squeeze from them. Not the greatest, but amazing that we still have them around.

I uploaded last year and kept the list unlisted to try to avoid any angry DMCA craziness. Made sure to offer them up to @marni - but I think I got them to him too late in his JII project to make the cut.

Enjoy guys!

ppete1975

You know Disney should (I don't assume anything anymore) have great quality copies of stuff like this and other stuff that is on youtube.. barbies epcot party anybody (the horror) or the living seas opening. Any chance we might see these kind of things on the streaming service when it goes live?

Cmdr_Crimson

Again I should point out that HBVideos youtube has a great playlist of a ton of Educational films..
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL247A504E7FD72550

You know Disney should (I don't assume anything anymore) have great quality copies of stuff like this and other stuff that is on youtube.. barbies epcot party anybody (the horror) or the living seas opening. Any chance we might see these kind of things on the streaming service when it goes live?

I am a sucker for Nostalgic Specials...But, I strongly doubt will ever see them on the streaming service as many will be focusing more on Disney Junior/XD/Channel shows and Movies...Unless they still make A Vault Disney section this would then work....But, again I really doubt they are focused on it....You still have a place where you can watch it for free on Youtube rather than pay for it...

Where else can you watch a special that was a Circus that had no reason to be in Epcot with Celebrities....By that I mean Ernest (Hey Vern!):hilarious:

brb1006

Original Poster
So just a clarification on this one...

I was able to request VHS copies of *some* of the episodes (2 tapes worth) via interlibrary loan through my university. There’s very few VHS copies left in the national library sharing system, so I’m lucky that there was a library willing to loan them.

Then I did video capture at the highest quality I could squeeze from them. Not the greatest, but amazing that we still have them around.

I uploaded last year and kept the list unlisted to try to avoid any angry DMCA craziness. Made sure to offer them up to @marni - but I think I got them to him too late in his JII project to make the cut.

Enjoy guys!
Martin would really love this.

brb1006

Original Poster
Your know what would great, Disney making a Disney streaming exclusive edutainment series starring Dreamfinder and Figment geared toward not only children but grown ups as well.

Cmdr_Crimson

Your know what would great, Disney making a Disney streaming exclusive edutainment series starring Dreamfinder and Figment geared toward not only children but grown ups as well.

Clearly you've NEVER Heard of Dreamfinders. The show that was to be on Disney Channel when the network premiered....
latest

While the show never aired Old Eli (Dreamfinder) did appear in the Countdown segment for the launch of the channel...
elidreamfinder.jpg

Inspired Figment

Really is wonderful this stuff has finally been uncovered! Thanks a bunch @TJJohn12. I absolutely adore Figment, Dreamfinder, and the original attraction. I honestly think it’s a bit of a shame Disney doesn’t add this stuff anywhere online themselves or has made any plans to release any of the old Epcot/Figment media on DVD or Bluray . There’s plenty of demand for it. There definitely hasn’t been much of a decrease in interest for Figment. Just look at how much Disney’s been excessively pushing him in new merchandise and Epcot events. Clearly, they must be planning something. To me, it just doesn’t make much sense business wise to push something so much and then not plan anything big to follow up with it. They did the same thing with Hatbox Ghost here at Haunted Mansion. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see.
Btw, would it be alright if I posted this to the “Save Figment” Facebook group?? Please let me know. Thanks.

Inspired Figment

Clearly you've NEVER Heard of Dreamfinders. The show that was to be on Disney Channel when the network premiered....
latest

While the show never aired Old Eli (Dreamfinder) did appear in the Countdown segment for the launch of the channel...
View attachment 272510
Btw, In regards to the “Dreamfinders” series. Some more info about it’s actually been leaked. Apparently someone was able to get in contact with someone who worked on the show and there’s a script out there for one of the episodes i think. The person was kind enough to give a summary of how the episode played out aswell. I forget where I came across it but I’d be more than happy to post the link here if I find it again. Was definitely interesting. I also know from another source that Figment would’ve also been a part of the show as a cable controlled puppet.

Inspired Figment

What’s also not as well known is that there were a few concepts for Figment TV shows that went around. One of them being Dreamfinder & Figment’s Imagine Hour. In that concept Figment also would’ve had a band. A band of these colorful, quirky, goofy looking imaginary friends. There’s concept art out there that’s been posted I believe by Tradzak on Instagram if I’m not mistaken. Was shown at the a recent Epcot 35th Anniversary event.

brb1006

Original Poster
What’s also not as well known is that there were a few concepts for Figment TV shows that went around. One of them being Dreamfinder & Figment’s Imagine Hour. In that concept Figment also would’ve had a band. A band of these colorful, quirky, goofy looking imaginary friends. There’s concept art out there that’s been posted I believe by Tradzak on Instagram if I’m not mistaken. Was shown at the a recent 30th Anniversary Epcot event.
I need to find a video that mentioned Imagine Hour.

Cmdr_Crimson

Btw, In regards to the “Dreamfinders” series. Some more info about it’s actually been leaked. Apparently someone was able to get in contact with someone who worked on the show and there’s a script out there for one of the episodes i think. The person was kind enough to give a summary of how the episode played out aswell. I forget where I came across it but I’d be more than happy to post the link here if I find it again. Was definitely interesting. I also know from another source that Figment would’ve also been a part of the show as a cable controlled puppet.

The script is located on the link inside the Lost Media Wiki...https://lostmediawiki.com/Dreamfinders_(unproduced_Disney_Channel_TV_series;_1983)

What’s also not as well known is that there were a few concepts for Figment TV shows that went around. One of them being Dreamfinder & Figment’s Imagine Hour. In that concept Figment also would’ve had a band. A band of these colorful, quirky, goofy looking imaginary friends. There’s concept art out there that’s been posted I believe by Tradzak on Instagram if I’m not mistaken. Was shown at the a recent Epcot 35th Anniversary event.

I'm still trying to rattle where this video was actually from if it was for the said show.

The Puppeteer is no doubt the late Jerry Nelson who sounded like Robin in this clip.

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom