The fate of Star Tours?

Phicinfan

Seems like a lot of work for a ride they're gonna sunset soon...
but is it? They can program them as they wish, all they have to do is change ingress for those to choose which version they want.

It also makes me wonder what is coming next, maybe it won't be just ONE IP taking over, maybe it will be a group IP that allows you to choose which "adventure" you want to take? Just my thoughts here folks, I am not an insider

Sketch105

I see Star Tours sticking around for a while. It's the one attraction they can easily update to promote the newest film without a long down time, and I think it will definitely still take the edge off GE's opening when those crowds begin to hit.

We will have to see once Star Wars Land opens and what the drop off is in visitation to ST.

I've rode Iron Man experience in Hong Kong and it was the exact same attraction as Star Tours.

They could essentially just replace the video and externals with another IP.

(i know they can't use Iron Man in Orlando).

TJJohn12

That is the plan. Sadly.

I don't necessarily see this as a bad plan - perhaps not the best in terms of creative use of the real estate, but not a bad option. It keeps a ride system that has a decent throughput in the park - and hopefully soaks up a little bit of the SW crowds with a non-SW option eventually. Of course, you likely have the better info and know if the potential IPs are that bad a match.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I don't necessarily see this as a bad plan - perhaps not the best in terms of creative use of the real estate, but not a bad option. It keeps a ride system that has a decent throughput in the park - and hopefully soaks up a little bit of the SW crowds with a non-SW option eventually. Of course, you likely have the better info and know if the potential IPs are that bad a match.
Star Tours is one of those attractions that’s greater than the sum of its parts. The parts are great but together they make something even greater.

TJJohn12

Star Tours is one of those attractions that’s greater than the sum of its parts. The parts are great but together they make something even greater.

That I get. The queue (both original and new) are as integral to the experience as the ride itself. Pound for pound, I think it's still one of the most immersive experiences at WDW, especially since the FP+ queue chopped Pirates all to hell.

The muddying of the timelines with the randomization of the new ST has miffed me a tiny bit, but oh well - I'm not the typical rider and I realize that. Having not seen HK's Iron Man, I don't know if with the same ride system and a different theme they were still able to capture that setup-to-the-experience magic and continuity of experience that ST perfected - I'm guessing you're a "no" on that mark?

PorterRedkey

I would really like Star Tours to stick around and to continue to be upgraded with new film installments.

If they MUST replace it, please don't make it a static, one and done attraction like Iron Man in HK. The best part of the upgrade to ST:TAC, was the different possible storylines. Take the random aspect away and it losses a lot of it re-rideability, something I thought Disney valued these days. I know I ride Star Tour more than few times every visit because of this.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I could envision an Iron Man overlay on Star Tours which, if done correctly, would keep that "attraction which is greater than the sum of its parts" appeal of Star Tours. Can a different movie IP do that? I can't think of one off the top of my head that could and can be used in Orlando.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I could envision an Iron Man overlay on Star Tours which, if done correctly, would keep that "attraction which is greater than the sum of its parts" appeal of Star Tours. Can a different movie IP do that? I can't think of one off the top of my head that could and can be used in Orlando.

Guardians would have worked. but I don't know if they would extend that across parks. They could also do something with Big Hero 6.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Well given what we've seen about how indecisive Disney is (Coco, UK attraction, Epcot Spine) and how last-minute they can change their minds (MK Theater), hopefully the changing of IP will never end up happening.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
While I know it's the plan to convert Star Tours a year or two after SWL opens, I would be greatly, greatly, greatly surprised if they actually did something about it.

Maybe 15 years from now when they can't get parts for all the broken bits of Star Tours and only 3 shuttles are running, will they be likely to shut it down. And even then, first using it seasonally, then use the space as a M&G.... then finally years after that, demolish it for something new.

Languishing rides... languish.

Phicinfan

While I know it's the plan to convert Star Tours a year or two after SWL opens, I would be greatly, greatly, greatly surprised if they actually did something about it.

Maybe 15 years from now when they can't get parts for all the broken bits of Star Tours and only 3 shuttles are running, will they be likely to shut it down. And even then, first using it seasonally, then use the space as a M&G.... then finally years after that, demolish it for something new.

Languishing rides... languish.
Can't disagree, but if the theater in MK was cancelled so funds can be put to some other attraction that eats crowds, I would think that updating new IP for this would also help pull some of the crowds from SWL, as much as Mickey ride might and TSL

mikejs78

Premium Member
Can't disagree, but if the theater in MK was cancelled so funds can be put to some other attraction that eats crowds, I would think that updating new IP for this would also help pull some of the crowds from SWL, as much as Mickey ride might and TSL
But don't you think a third star wars ride might help offset some of the crowds in SWGE?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom