The fate of Star Tours?

Goofyernmost

When talking about capacity, I meant it as a "per hour" distinction, which is what's relevant here.

Hogwarts Express uses two 168 passenger trains for a total Cycle capacity of 336. The ride is ~4 minutes, and I would expect with load and unload that the actual cycle time is closer to 7 minutes. That's 2880 guests per hour total (so 1440 per leg). Admittedly these are estimates but it should at least put things in perspective.

Star Tours has six 40 passenger bays for a total Cycle capacity of 240. The ride is ~4.5 minutes and I would expect with load and unload that the actual cycle time is closer to 7.5 minutes. That's 1800 guests per hour total.
Also take into account that it is an upcharge requirement meaning a bit less demand and is a circular attraction, but, an attraction on it's own. It seems that what is wanted here is an entrance to the land that is connected directly to the land and what you are about to see. Harry potter land is accessible from either park, but not from either park on the train unless additional payment is made. That alone would limit ridership. So, if you want the Star Wars thing to work it has to be an upcharge to be compared to Hogwarts because without the additional cost... Hogwarts doesn't exist. However, without the connection to SWL, Star Tours can exist on it's own, with no additional charge or become a completely new, unrelated adventure for everyone to use.

ChrisM

Regardless of if they attempted to connect them initially or not, I just don't think there is any worry about Star Tours actually going anywhere. I would never doubt the veracity of Martin's information - I am sure right now that very well is the plan. However, given how astronomically popular we know that SWL is going to be, the more I think about it the more I just cannot see it happening.

When the park is overrun with Star Wars fans wanting Star Wars, I just don't see any way they will be able to close a relatively decent capacity ride, which can be infinitely updated, has multiple experiences so people will want to ride it multiple times, etc. that expands the Star Wars experience. Especially when, as most of us have been speculating, they are going to be having a lot of ticketed events, they can sell more ticket capacity with three rides versus two.

I just can't see them actually going through with it and closing it down. I can see them eventually expanding SWL to encase it, as well.

I've long suspected this is absolutely how it will play out. Once the shattering crowds arrive this is the quickest and easiest solution they will have at hand.

AEfx

One of the major issues with keeping Star Tours, regardless of whether it’s connected to SWGE, is that it really handicaps Disney in terms of what they can do with the Echo Lake area. If they want to finally give the land a somewhat-immersive theme (be it Indy or something else), Star Tours will most likely have to be rethemed or replaced to make it work.

More Star Wars. :)

Problem solved.

celluloid

It would seem so easy to update Star Tours to Iron Man in California as duel RandD has not been able to happen with East and West Coast. I can easily see that happening thanks to the completed attraction in Hong Kong; not that I think that the Hong Kong attraction is superior to Star Tours, it would just be a simple way to rush Iron man into DL when a lot of the production cost is already done and the maintenance cost saved without the AA C3PO figures and others would be substantial.

Jones14

It would seem so easy to update Star Tours to Iron Man in California as duel RandD has not been able to happen with East and West Coast. I can easily see that happening thanks to the completed attraction in Hong Kong; not that I think that the Hong Kong attraction is superior to Star Tours, it would just be a simple way to rush Iron man into DL when a lot of the production cost is already done and the maintenance cost saved without the AA C3PO figures and others would be substantial.
Iron Man can’t happen in Florida due to the Uni contract.

That said, I doubt Star Tours goes down until construction has at least gotten started on a new addition to the land (ride, restaurant, or show). No way they tear down one third of the Star Wars rides in the park while the public swarms the gates unless they’ve got more Star Wars on the way to offset it.

My guesses for the eventual replacement’s IP are Big Hero Six, Incredibles, and Wreck It Ralph. I’d hope Big Hero 6 gets put in Future World if anywhere, but the other two could easily slot into Star Tours, and of course there’s always the possibility of a new sci-fi movie coming out within the next five years that might work.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

But with a whole Marvel land coming to DCA, I think it makes it less likely they would put Iron Man in DL.

matt9112

Also take into account that it is an upcharge requirement meaning a bit less demand and is a circular attraction, but, an attraction on it's own. It seems that what is wanted here is an entrance to the land that is connected directly to the land and what you are about to see. Harry potter land is accessible from either park, but not from either park on the train unless additional payment is made. That alone would limit ridership. So, if you want the Star Wars thing to work it has to be an upcharge to be compared to Hogwarts because without the additional cost... Hogwarts doesn't exist. However, without the connection to SWL, Star Tours can exist on it's own, with no additional charge or become a completely new, unrelated adventure for everyone to use.

there is some truth but I would argue most universal guests (just like Disney guests) have multi park multi day tickets. the train seems to always be a bit busy.

FigmentJedi

Forbidden site is reporting that when Crait debuts, they're segregating the Sequel Trilogy stuff from the Classic stuff. Besides Crait, there will be a new opening scene to fit the era and after six months, you will be able to choose from the Sequel Trilogy stuff or the original six planet set up like what they did with Mission Space.

Goofyernmost

there is some truth but I would argue most universal guests (just like Disney guests) have multi park multi day tickets. the train seems to always be a bit busy.
True perhaps, but, it is the only "single" attraction that straddles two parks that cannot be seen unless you buy the multi-park ticket. Any attraction that is in a single park is doable as long as you have paid admission to that park. Not so with that attraction. Pay for both or don't see any of it.

PizzaPlanet

Forbidden site is reporting that when Crait debuts, they're segregating the Sequel Trilogy stuff from the Classic stuff. Besides Crait, there will be a new opening scene to fit the era and after six months, you will be able to choose from the Sequel Trilogy stuff or the original six planet set up like what they did with Mission Space.
I'm glad they're doing this, the mixing of characters from different eras made the ride a lot less immersive.

Jones14

I doubt that they’ll allow guests to choose which trilogy they get. The queue doesn’t support the notion without eliminating fastpass, for which there is no chance.

I do think (and hope) that they may split the programs into classic and new trilogies, though; it’s a logical choice, and will help to keep Star Tours relevant and in-theme (when you get the new trilogy sequences, that is) when Galaxy’s Edge opens.

If true, this also implies Crait will be a finale scene. It also, if the Force Awakens scene lock happens again, means that we won’t be seeing Darth Vader, Yoda, or Hoth (anything from the first six films) for some time.

Last edited:

Donaldfan1934

Smart move. My biggest pet peeve about the ride post Episode VII is how the new scenes completely messed with the timeline of the attraction, so I'm very happy they found a way to remedy this problem.

Magic Feather

I doubt that they’ll allow guests to choose which trilogy they get. The queue doesn’t support the notion without eliminating fastpass, for which there is no chance.
A while back, there was aproposal that would have split the sims, with D,E, & F recieving one film and being serviced through the old Fastpass line. A,B,&C gets anither through original standby. Fastpass gets rerouted through what is now just the wheelchair ramp, and whatnot would become FP. Don't know if that is being considered now, just know that it was a plan at one point.

matt9112

Seems like a lot of work for a ride they're gonna sunset soon...

Maybe somebody cares about quality period? if new land is going to compete with potter they can't half butt things. and continuity makes sense. it's overly blatant too...darth Vader trys to stop me and than I warp into battle between clones and droids? this is probably a cheap fix too so no real reason not to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom