"The Fall of Disney Parks" 2 part video series

Sir_Cliff

I don’t disagree with a lot of that, but some of the Disney/Uni comparisons are apples to oranges or either contradictory. I’m just in for the comments.
Must admit that I started watching, but it so quickly veered into "Universal is far superior" that I lost interest.

I completely understand people preferring Universal, but showing an unthemed roller coaster at Universal to backup how Uni is now offering "more fulfilling and interesting attractions" and then Tron to demonstrate how Disney has nothing interesting coming up highlighted for me why these comparisons don't sway me too much. The cost argument I get, but I find it more compelling to argue that Disney's standards have dropped while prices have gone up than to suggest Universal now offers the immersive themed experience that Disney made its name on.

Last edited:

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Watched that yesterday. Well done video. There is a little bias. Which is stated at the beginning. And yes, some of the comparisons of how Disney does things vs how Uni does them is somewhat apples to oranges

This thread will ultimately devolve into a Uni vs Disney one. And probably Potter vs SWGE. Pandora vs Jurassic World etc.

But I agree with the overall message of the video regarding the degradation of the overall Disney experience. I can also see (IF Disney continues down this path) Universal not only catching Disney - but possibly surpassing them within the next decade or two.

Here is a good companion video to the OP

MaximumEd

Must admit that I started watching, but it so quickly veered into "Universal is far superior" that I lost interest.

I completely understand people preferring Universal, but showing an unthemed roller coaster at Universal to backup how Uni is now offering "more fulfilling and interesting attractions" and then Tron to demonstrate how Disney has nothing interesting coming up highlighted for me why these comparisons don't sway me too much. The cost argument I get, but I find it a more compelling to argue that Disney's standards have dropped while prices have gone up than to suggest Universal now offers the immersive themed experience that Disney made its name on.
Agree. I also don’t follow the whole line that Disney charging for FP is bad for the guest experience, while Uni charging for FP is good for the guest experience. The two parks don’t compare in size or number of people. Basically……it ain’t that simple. Like I said earlier, I don’t disagree with a lot of what he said…….but.

tanc

I've never really given Universal much of a chance but with everything going on recently, they have probably the best AP by a huge margin. May be something I may consider getting.

Epcot82Guy

I found those recently. There are some really, really valid points. As a newer local, I find it's not that Universal is better. Disney is still higher quality. But, it definitely feels like Universal's current focus is better and is most guest experience centric (while Disney is more trying to milk past successes).

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I also don’t follow the whole line that Disney charging for FP is bad for the guest experience, while Uni charging for FP is good for the guest experience.
IMO, Universal keeps it very simple. Express Pass is a one time fee and includes access to any attraction with the exception of Velocicoaster if I'm not mistaken. Or you get Express Pass free as a perk of staying at a Loews Resort which is a great perk for the customers.

Disney seems to enjoy making your vacation as complicated and confusing as possible. And the smaller upfront cost ($15) for use of Genie+ seems like an effort to appear more affordable than Universals Express Pass, but once you add in the extra cost of the Lightning Lane fees, you could easily pay more than what Express Pass costs, and then add in the frustration of having to constantly use your phone to book your experiences. Again, IMO, this is definitely a worse experience than what Universal offers. And Disney isn't offering any perks for Genie or LL for AP, DVC or those who stay at Deluxe resorts.

It all makes them look more greedy than they were already labeled to be.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Disney seems to enjoy making your vacation as complicated and confusing as possible.

This is my biggest complaint thus far. For a lot of us - we're regulars. We know a lot of the in's-and-out's. But even still - with the introduction of the new features, even we have to go through a learning curve. Now, imagine "the first timer". Who decides to drop $10-15k for a week. At that point you pretty much need a "degree in Disney" to feel comfortable navigating the resort. And you'll still be learning things on your trip - and find out a whole bunch of things you missed/didn't know about when you return home.

We want to go on vacation - not have to apply coursework we've spent months studying - and stress out because there are ride windows we missed or mis-calculated the "surge pricing" on a specific ride. Imagine this question "How much does it cost to ride Space Mountain?" - the answer being "It depends".

Last edited:

Muffinpants

This is my biggest complaint thus far. For a lot of us - we're regulars. We know a lot of the in's-and-out's. But even still - with the introduction of the new features, even we have to go through a learning curve. Now, imagine "the first timer". Who decides to drop $10-15k for a week. At that point you pretty much need a "degree in Disney" to feel comfortable navigating the resort. And you'll still be learning things on your trip - and find out a whole bunch of things you missed/didn't know about when you return home.

We want to go on vacation - not have to apply coursework we've spent months studying - and stress out because there are ride windows we missed or mis-calculated the "surge pricing" on a specific ride. Imagine this question "How much does it cost to ride Space Mountain?" - the answer being "It depends".
They went from " trying to make planning simpler" to making it far more complicated imo.

SteveAZee

It seems like that's part of the point with the new system... provide more access to the casual visitor, i.e. the ones who don't study up on the system before arriving at the gates. FP+ is no longer booking months ahead of time, so people can either wait on what is (arguably) a shorter standby line, or have the option of paying spontaneously for G+ or IAS. Personally, I liked the planning and having stuff set up before arrival, but now the system does seem more complicated and requiring 'in the moment' decision making, which seems both more complicated and also more unpredictable, especially if you have a group of people all trying to decide on things.

Rickcat96

Disney is in a far better position to dictate terms right now, when they feel they are not getting enough, they will offer some carrot to entice folks to come.

IMO its a gamble-COVID still lurks with deep divide on how to stop it, inflation is also nipping at our heals.

Dear Prudence

I have tried to enjoy his videos in the past, but he has so much misinformation, it makes me nuts.

If you don't like Disney anymore....don't go? No one asked for a two-part flounce in video form, buddy. Just stop going.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom