The fabulous 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland' - a venture

IndianaJones

Loved the Disney gallery pictures. When I do get back out there that is a stop I will be making.

And I completely agree with everyone saying that the fact that Discovery Bay didn't happen is a crime.

I'm sure you have, but have you listened to "The Season Pass" podcast interview with Tony Baxter? He talks in depth about a lot of things including Discovery Bay. Pretty fascinating.

Can't wait to see more updates.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Thank you for taking time out of your archeological work to comment here, Dr. Jones.
Always a pleasure to see you about, and thank you for the recommendation regarding "The Season Pass".
I have heard others talk about that particular interview, but to date i have not had the opportunity to hear it.
I shall have to remedy this soon, as i really do enjoy listening to what Tony has to say about any given topic.
His insights and opinions are always a delight to hear.

Yes, i highly recommend a visit to the Disney Gallery and Opera House whenever you visit, no matter what the current theme of the displays may be.
They change them periodically, so there is usually something new to see each visit.

The *Mechanical Kingdoms* show was right up my alley....some nice concept pieces from the WDI Archives on display for that.

Here are a couple of more images just for you...of the main back wall containing related artwork.
This stuff is meant to be seen up close so one can savor the detailing.
It was a real treat having that rare opportunity.

The elongated framed images shown on the top row are a spectacular mural done for one of the Asian Parks. The design was fantastic....a real eye opener to behold.

I love the 20K piece shown here on the bottom left.
Would love to have that hanging up in a room here at home!

In the center is another one of Tim Delaney*s great concept images for DLPs *Discovery Mountain*.
Next to it on the far right is a rare concept rendering by Joe Rhode for a proposed Attraction for *Discovery Bay* drawn in 1984.
The date makes me realize that even ten years later, work on Discovery Bay was still going on...at least concept-wise.

A closer view -

And speaking of such....

Absolutely agree regarding *Discovery Bay*.
It would have been amazing and i believe still relevant today if it had been built in full.

Of course the rub is that if it HAD been built, we likely would have never seen the development of Dreamfinder & Figment.
The entire Original *Journey Into Imagination* concept would have never had taken place...since DBs *Professor Marvels..* Attraction would have been designed and built.
Because the Bay was never built, the concept for the Professor*s presentation was shifted over to a concept for use in the forthcoming Imagination Pavilion at EPCOT Center.

Getting the Original JII created and actually built at EPCOT Center, and getting to experience that magnificent Attraction back in the day, is something i am very grateful for.
My life would be VERY different today if that had not happened.

So like everything else in life, and especially the creative life, there is a trade off.

:)

Last edited:

IndianaJones

That I can agree with. Journey into Imagination is still to this day one of my absolute favorites and it would've been a crime to never have had it.

Definitely check out the interview when given the chance. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

What I can't wait for is when Tony ends up writing a book. You've got to think that he will. And I'll be there on day one to buy it.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
I am sure at some point he will indeed write a book, and it will be a wonderful read.

The stories he can tell you....and the massive amount of knowledge in his head about every aspect of the history of the Disney organization demands it.
The Park history knowledge alone would fill a volume.
His own personal stories, and history working for the company would indeed be great to read as expressed in his own words, in his own publication.
Bless his heart, the man could write a whole series of books..not just one!

He has a very unique perspective that many of us can appreciate and would absolutely find fascinating to learn more about.
Thus his thoughts simply MUST be immortalized in a book of his very own in some form.
Just imagine what he might have to say, and share, with us all.
The prospect i find exciting.
I am fairly confident that it will happen some day...when he is ready to put pen to paper.

Until that time, we shall have to be patient.
But i am right there with you in line Dr. Jones when it comes out!

;)

Since we are still on the topic of *Discovery Bay*, i thought i would share these two images i have had in my collection for some time.
A pair of *screen grabs* from a old video that was once shown on The Disney Channel back in the day.
Remember when The Disney Channel used to show cool stuff like *behind-the-scenes* type of programming that showed you what those creative WED folks were up to currently...?

Here a young Mr. Baxter enthusiastically gives viewers a glimpse of what might be on such a program of yore....

The orange area shown on this layout of the Park is where the Bay was to be built.
Every time i walk through *Big Thunder Ranch* at DL i imagine what could have been there.
Note the cool model of his *Mountain* in the background, towards the left of the image.

Here, the artist himself shows the viewers his beautiful concept art for *Discovery Bay*.
I believe he is holding the original painting here, judging by the size of it.

Looking at Tony holding the large original makes me question why the print included in the *Mechanical KIngdoms* art showing was SO small.
I printed out some of the close up photos i took of it at the display and was stunned at all the new details i spotted.
It is a shame that it was not reproduced in a much larger size for the showing, as the level of detail contained in that painting is incredible...especially when you take into consideration that it is a WATERCOLOR.
A medium that can be a challenge to control on paper.
Looking at my enlarged photos today really struck me and made it even clearer that some real skill went into creating it.

I am just so utterly blown away by this work.
SO glad i was able to see this up close at that show...even if it was a small print.

40 years later, it is STILL a amazing concept.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Let us continue on to Fantasyland now...having passed through some areas along the way.

There were a couple of items i wanted to go back to this visit and photograph.
One of which was some of the details present on Sleeping Beauty Castle.
The photo below contains several..such as the squirrel shaped drains spouts, tiling patterns on the roof, and some lovely Gothic architectural accents on the upper windows and peaks.
Lots of new details came to light this time around.

Personally i think the Castle would look even better without the curly railings that had to be installed, but at least there was a attempt to try to blend them into the present decor.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, i really like the paint treatment done to the Castle.
The iridescent color choices and twinkling glitter ( really visible at night ) gives it a dream like sheen in appearance.
It is interesting to study the paint choices, but i guess that is just the artist in me showing itself.
Looking at the bricks close up reveals several layers of application, and i took this close up photo below to try to capture an example.

Yeah, i am a detail freak...but i love this - various colored irredscent base paint, then sprayed with opposite matching colors. Note the tiny *splatters* of the other Castle colors applied over the base.
A nice coating of perhaps sealant mixed with a fine golden silver glitter to top it all off.

Looking at the above photo reminds me of the few people who walked by me while i was snapping away at this out of the way corner of the Castle.
A few stopped and stared at what i was doing, thinking a character had just appeared or something else unusual had happened causing a impromptu photo session.
They were no doubt wondering why i was photographing a brick wall, where there was *nothing* there to their eyes but...well, a brick wall!

Oh if they only knew......

The walkways through either side of the Castle are the place to be in the evening to really see this glitter come to life.
During the daytime it just adds a additional sheen to the overall look, but at night time the walls come alive as you walk by them and notice the eye catching twinkle emanating from them.
A neat touch.

The beautiful windows shown above within this particular passageway have a charming scene worth stopping by to view.
A themed display featuring three, doll-sized thrones elaborately decorated.
Upon closer inspection, it is revealed that each is themed to one of three royal residents of the land.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Another pair of photos showing some hyper-detailing delights in Fantasyland.

*Snow White*s Scary Adventures* features one of the more elaborately designed Attraction facades in the Land, and here are just two small details present.

Some furry friends decorate the outer queue area...

...and decorate the interior supports.

On my previous visit i had seen these pillars from afar and thought they were the Dwarfs heads carved into the stone.
The faces and curled tails, which looked like their little floppy hats, fooled me.
When i returned to photograph the *Dwarfs* i was instead surprised to be greeted by smiling rodents!

Oh yes, and i finally touched the brass apple located outside the entrance to the Attraction.
Always wondered what would happen....

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Continuing in Fantasyland now...

I stopped by the Pinnochio Village Haus again to explore more of the appealing interior.
After a stroll around admiring the themed walls and charming windows i went outside to enjoy a beverage and had a nice view of the clock tower attached to it.

Like just about everything else in Fantasyland, it is absolutely dripping with wonderful details.

A closer view of the folk art painting on the walls around the windows of the tower -

Here is a view of the uppermost part of the tower, with the smart looking clock.

The doors below on either side....are their figures that come out of them at times?
I was looking them over and wondered, as they look functional.

Something i noticed this time around while taking my time in Fantasyland late one evening...another happy little personally made 'discovery'.
If you stand directly in front of the main entrance door to 'Mr. Toad's Wild Ride' , your ears will be treated to a remarkable musical phenomenon.
The Fantasyland background music that plays through the entire land is perfectly in synch with the carousel music playing from 'King Arthur's Carousel'.
Same song selection, different sound..but both complimenting each other beautifully.
A remarkable detail i never noticed before until now, and i usually pay a lot of attention to the music in and around the Parks.

I think the location i made the realization in helped, because you were positioned exactly between the two places were the music was both broadcasting from.

I found this to be a very cool, as it enables each area to have it's own music, but not in any way clash sonically as would happen if both the area and the carousel were playing different tunes.
So when the carousel is playing 'Hi-Diddle-De-Dee' in the usual calliope manner, the area background music is playing the exact same melody in typical Fantasyland background music.
Fantastic !

So take a listen the next time you are passing by Toad Hall.
You won't be dissapointed.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
I'm sure you have, but have you listened to "The Season Pass" podcast interview with Tony Baxter? He talks in depth about a lot of things including Discovery Bay. Pretty fascinating.

Dr. Jones, i wanted you to know that i listened to the interview in full today.
Very enjoyable to hear him as always...i love listening to Tony just go off and talk about any given topic on hand.

I particularly enjoyed learning some new bits about his early days that further enhanced what i had already been aware of at this point. Quite insightful.

Many thanks for suggesting i listen.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Before we depart Fantasyland, i will share this pair of photos that is not in the Park proper but is somewhat related.

A huge, handsome window display that was part of a series of *retro* styled designs decorating the windows of the *World Of Disney* store in Downtown Disney.
Elaborate, multi-dementional, and containing some neat details.

Especially neat - a little Baxter-themed corner....

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Here is a view of the Tomorrowland themed window on display at the *World of Disney* store.
The red lighting, and detailing was great.
It too incorporated some movement in the center area, where you could watch small *rockets* inside Space Mountain move by.

What a great way to surge into the next area i wanted to be sure to include on this themed venture....
Tomorrowland.

A scenic view of the Astro Orbitor to begin.... still a favorite of mine from a design standpoint.
Just always liked the way it looked.

I talked a lot about Tomorrowland earlier in this thread, having spent a lot of time there during the previous visit.
So for this posting i will focus more on some smaller observations made this time around.

Besides enjoying the Attractions, i also spent a lot of time just walking around and through here, as well as spending some time just watching people move about the area and the general kinetics.
It was interesting to watch the crowd flow and how people handled the two tight spots near *Star Tours* and *Astro Blasters*.

*Captain Eo* had a couple of lively showings, mostly because of the CMs enthusiasm.
I talked to a young couple who were new to DL waiting to see *Eo* for the first time.
They were interested in hearing my thoughts on what they should definitely see and do.
I told them that on a hot day like this, *Eo* is the place to be!
They really liked the film, as i asked them afterwards what they thought and they seemed delighted by it.
Nice to see that.

I really wish i had started visiting DL earlier...so i could have experienced the fabulous Peoplemover.
Absolutely love the one at WDW...but it would have been cool to try out DLs original version. I had no idea it was as long and varied as it is...having just come across a map of the property.
Man, it must have been a nice extended break from the masses...like Florida*s is to me.
A nice break from the action...to just cruise by and enjoy the scenery.

Tried a new experience i had missed last visit...*Autopia*...and enjoyed it quite a bit even though my vehicle kept stalling out!
Scenic and even a bit relaxing...a nice time to ride is right before sunset.
It was a must ride this time, since it fits the *Baxterland* theme of the visit.
This was the first attraction Tony worked after transferring out of the Carnation Plaza Gardens.
Afterwards he moved onto the Subs, and then Adventure Through Innerspace.
He also did a short stint at The Haunted Mansion when it first opened.

A photo now....

Although this small Starspeeder model is actually on display at the Opera House on Main Street, i will place it here as it relates to one of everyone*s favorite Tomorrowland Attractions, *Star Tours*

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Next stop on our 'Return to Baxterland' is Adventureland...

The vibe here was different then when i had visited previously, namely because 'Tony's Temple of Wonder's ( aka 'Indiana Jones Adventure' ) was closed for a refurbishment.
As regular readers know, i practically LIVED within those Temple walls back in September.
I think i photographed every square inch of the place except the Control Room upstairs, or at least it sure felt like it.
Sheer revelry in letting every detail soak into my proverbial pores.
Seeing Dr. Jones there standing in line to ride his own Attraction was also a kick to the head. Yes, the 'real' Indiana Jones in full costume.

This time however, the Attraction's closure meant i was able to embrace some of the little noticed delights of Adventureland.
'Baxterland' this time around was more like 'Refurbland' in some respects...especially when one is greeted with this sign before even reaching the Front Gates -

I was already aware of all the closures, but there was a lot of other things under tarps not noted on the sign.
Many of the charming buildings in New Orleans Square were under screens for the ongoing Club 33 expansion, as well as smaller projects like many of the fountains being being walls ( Toontowns particularly.)
But seeing that did not deter from the experience, although i do feel all the closures directly effected the feeling of it being more crowded then normal for this time of year.
Still not a deterrent for me, but i have to say it sure was interesting and even entertaining in some respects to hear the comments from Guests seeing this sign!
They ran the gauntlet between 'Awww...shucks...Indy is closed??!!' to 'How dare they charge full admission when half the Park is closed'..! Yeeeaahhh...

There was a up side to the closures though. It meant i was able to concentrate more on the 'little things' that i might not have experienced otherwise, since i would have been spending more time riding and less time wandering.
So there was a lot of 'good' in this...despite some of the 'not so good' aspects.

An example of such a reward for 'wandering'...

The crowd levels meant that the upper level queuing area over at the 'Jungle Cruise' was in operation, so i was thrilled to finally be able to check it out.
Yeah i know...i guess only a Disney Theme Park geek would get excited about getting to experience a 'new' queue...but yes, i was excited about it.
My previous visits were always 'off season', or during a time when it was not being used.
This visit however, it was open...and i made a beeline for the Cruise.

So i went up the stairs and enjoyed a surprise or two.
One was the Hornbill directly above you as you climb the stairs.
This animatronic bird squawked off and on during the duration of being up there, and it was fun to see people's reactions to it.

Another less-noticed surprise that brought the Disney Theme Park Geek bubbling up within me was seeing one of Rolly Crump's famous 'Tiki Drummer' figures decorating a area of the roof.
It was mixed in with a small selection of 'artifacts' and shipping crates, perched precariously on the edge of the roof.
What a cool 'hidden' detail !

Here is a photo i found online showing the figure in the Enchanted Tiki Room as an example of what he looks like -

Speaking of the Enchanted Tiki Room, the show is still looking great....and the Dole Whip floats are still as tasty as ever.

Other experiences included just mellowing out while consuming said beverage late one evening and sitting along the center walkway(s) in Adventureland.
The themed lighting, and overall atmosphere there in the evening is great.
For those who have yet to experience it, i highly recommend it.
There is a little alcove off the right of 'Aladdin's Oasis' that is rather secluded and makes for a lovely spot to get away from the masses and enjoy some quiet time amongst the lush greenery.

Also spent some reflective time up in 'Tony's Treehouse' ( aka 'Tarzan's Treehouse' ) late that same evening enjoying the views.
An even better experience without the constant trampling from small children running up behind you when trying to enjoy the scenery.
It is blissful in the late evenings.

There was some 'river' flooding issues at the Treehouse the night i was there, and the Maintenance guys were standing around trying to solve the problem.
Water from the cascading 'river' that graces the base of the Treehouse was washing onto the main walkway somehow.
The Maintenance team ended up pushing a few trash containers over to block the big puddle starting to form while they tired to figure out what was causing it to happen.
All was set right however...and the flow was contained when i passed through later in the evening.

I have to say i saw more Maintenance people openly out in the Park then i ever had during any visit, to ANY Disney Theme Park.
They were certainly busy.
Even saw one called in to repair a Matterhorn Bobsled right before my eyes as i waited in the Single Rider line.
One minute a CM is on the phone talking about one of the Bobsleds, next minute a guy shows up and pulls it over with the Matterhorn's neat track shifter.
By the time i rode and was at unload, i looked down and there he was stripping one of the wheels off the ride vehicle in a underground work area..with the Bobsled directly above him.
Way cool.

Not to slam WDW, but...cannot help but make a observation here.
Talk about INSTANT correction.
At WDW, the vehicle would have just been taken out of service until later on.
Not at DL..not in this case. It was a immediate fix right then and there.

I was impressed.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Now the time has come to cover the area i found myself around the most this visit...to more then make up for it*s absence when i had previously visited *Baxterland*.

I am of course talking about *Tony*s Mountain*, one of my all time favorite Attractions.

Being somewhat hardwired to the version over at WDW certainly made experiencing a *new* version of the famous Baxter Attraction a delight.
There are many things i like about the DL version ...many things i like better then the version i know intimately.

But i am getting ahead of the story.

As always, best to start of the very beginning....

How about this to start :
The very first concept sketch for that runaway mine train a young Mr. Baxter drew one fine day in 1970/1971 -

Too early..?

Okay then, how about this instead :
A young Mr. Baxter working on his very first model specifically for developing that *Mountain* he was about to conquer in 1974 -

No..? Still too early..?

Well then, how about this :
Tony*s lovely painting of how the now-decided Bryce Canyon inspired landscape would look for the Disneyland version of his *Mountain* -

Okay okay...i get it....STILL too early!

Alrighty then, i shall bring us back to the present and a review of my experiences.
Pull the lap bar down and shake it slightly to be sure it is locked, and be sure to remove any hats or glasses.
This here is gonna be a wild ride ....

It was absolutely wonderful to be able to have the opportunity to get to *know* the Original on a more personal level then previously.
Of course i had enjoyed riding on past visits, but this time it was quite different.
I was riding in a better educated state of awareness in regards to the history of the Attraction, and also with *different eyes*.
It felt personal because of that.

Oh sure, i have been aware of Tony*s history with BTMR for years.
What serious Park fan does not already know the tale..?
I*ve been calling it *Tony*s Mountain* since the early 2000s when i used to attend the WDW Halloween Events.
Nothing like riding the rails around those buttes dressed as Figment, a character representing his other beloved ride-through creation of yore.
Yep, did that many a time...many a year...and not at all ashamed to admit it.
I have the *Magical Moment* award certificates from a few Cast Members to prove it !
Tony Baxter fans KNOW how to get their *geek on* in style, okay...?

But getting back to my point, the *personal* angle is coming more from better understanding the scope and impact this project had in the long run on not just Tony and his career, but the step ahead in Theme Park Attraction design as well.
Versed fans already know the tale, but BTMR launched Tony*s career into a direction that not only benefited him, it benefited us all when you really think about it.
This is why i so love that photo i posted above of Tony working on his model.
It is a rare glimpse into that magical transitional period for him.
He went from that simple ( but oh so creative ) model maker at WED to suddenly becoming a Ride Designer...and that happened because he was not afraid to express his real opinion to his superiors, even if it meant risking his position.
I find that story inspirational.
It is a shame more people today do not take the chance(s) they could to push the envelope a bit more like in the past.
But i digress...

Taking some time to think about things from this perspective brings some insightful things to light.
It elevates a simple *ride* in a Theme Park to something much more.
This thing represents someones personal journey, and eventual forthcoming legacy.
Okay, maybe i am getting a little too deep for some to understand....but that is how i look at that dessert vista in the middle of Anaheim...and Orlando.
It is a major milestone in the history books of both Tony*s and Disneyland*s.

Attractions just do not *happen* and appear.
Every one of them has a group of people who lived and breathed it..and made it happen.
Walt has that often quoted statement about how you can design and build the most wonderful places and things, but it takes people to make the dream become a reality.
Yep, he sure nailed it there.

Everything has it*s own profound, personal story behind it.

When i look at that sculpted rockwork and hear those trains scurrying around those carefully designed tracks, i don*t see a *ride*.
I see what was the new beginning of one mans personal creative journey.
A journey that became quite a ride for us ALL, not only with BTMR, but in the coming years.

So yes, i have a lot of heartfelt respect for that ol* Mountain.
And i was a thrilled to be able to experience the recently enhanced version of it.
As mentioned earlier, the new additions are a worthy plus.
A nice way to honor it*s 35th Anniversary this year.
The recent work and additions will carry it through for the NEXT 35 years!

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

On a lighter note....

I spent so much time around Big Thunder Mountain during this particular visit that i decided to room here for a couple of the days i was in town.
Those 1am Park closes on that weekend had me looking for closer accommodations.

Here is where i camped...right at the front base of the Mountain.
A lovely spot...complete with a fireplace, lighting, A/C, free beverages, scenic views, and free Miner*s Breakfast each morning ( cereal grains with a sprinkling of quarry rocks ).

You would not believe what Disney charges per night for this!
It was worth it though...

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

A few more photos and stories to share related to the fun i had exploring the Big Thunder Mining Company.

One of the tasks i had set before me for this chapter of the venture was to go on a little scavenger hunt at *Tony*s Mountain*.
There were three things i challenged myself to try to find within that setting.

One was to locate this *storage shack* pictured below in this fun construction photo from 1979.
Here we see a certain somebody peeking out.
Guess i was not the only one to *camp out* on the site over the years...

Alas, i did not find it...and i am still puzzling over this photo for clues as to where it might be located.
Judging by the angle of the tracks, and the background scenery, i was thinking perhaps it might be to your right before you enter the final lift tunnel.
I was too busy looking to my left at that point ...marveling at the humorous scene showing mining cars and other equipment squished by fallen rocks.
Wish i had snapped a photo of it...a great setting that most miss because of your attention being drawn forward due to the oncoming tunnel.
Perhaps a next time.
Anyway, i am still on the lookout for this shack.

The next item was to find the fabled *Baxter Explosives Co.* crate.
It was said to have been located off to the side of the staircase you ascend to reach the upper level loading platform.
The story goes it was there some years ago, but apparently it has now been removed.
There was some propping present in that area that i looked over, some crates and barrels, but none were marked.
I found a prominently marked *Burke* crate on the 2nd lift hill...but alas, no *Baxter* crate.

Speaking of that 2nd lift hill -
It was a handsome opportunity to ascend it and snap a few choice photographs of that fabulous view, no matter what time of day....

Afternoon brightness to reveal detailing abound....

..or the serenity of night time for introspective imagery.
This photo i snapped one special evening going up the ascent....when even the sky itself was smiling down upon the scene..or was it the Chersire Cat..?

See, there is a reason why *Baxterland* is the *Happiest Place on Earth*!

Continuing on now....

The third item on the *Tony*s Mountain* seek-and-find mission was to locate the infamous painting of Barnabus T. Bullion, the notorious gold baron who owns the Big Thunder Mining Company.
As most Park fans already know, this was a portrait that appeared in the queue at WDW*s version of the Attraction and gained some attention last year.
Some think the painting resembles Mr. Baxter and was done as a tribute to him.
*Ahh..the Father of Big Thunder Mountain!*...as one CM uttered to me one day while passing through the front gate and seeing my *Tony Baxter Fan Club* pinback button.
Indeed.

I still have a hard time seeing him in this painting though, as it reminds me so much more of Donald Sutherland.
Judge for thyself, intrepid frontier entrepreneurs -

I found the painting by *accident*...without really looking for it at that point.
One evening after splashing down in Dinosaur Gap, the train went by all those lovely ex-Rainbow Ridge buildings.
The western period lighting was all a flicking within their windows which attracted my eyes.
It sure looks purty at night time...!

So who do i see staring back at me sternly through the window of the *Panhandle Hotel* as my train car rolls by....?
Yep, you guessed it.
Another neat little discovery for this particular chapter of the ongoing venture.

Difficult to see the painting in there during the day, so if you want to spot Barnabus you will have to look into the Hotel*s window in the evening as you pass by on the way to the unload station.
It is a great spot to put the painting, as it is a neatly hidden little detail. It is also a nice location to place it, as it is well protected and out of the reach of Guests mischievous paws.
Unlike what happened to the painting at WDW*s version of Big Thunder Mountain...at first.
That was just outrageous and disheartening.
Thankfully that was remedied.

The next day i took a photo of the Panhandle Hotel as a little pictorial memento of the finding.
Perhaps next visit, i shall be able to afford staying here at the Hotel instead of having to camp pup-tent style at the Mountain*s base.
I bet it*s even more expensive to stay here.
You would not believe the cost to stay in just that tent!

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Seeing that photo above of the Panhandle Hotel reminds me of how much i enjoyed the queue layout for this first version of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.
I wanted to talk more about it, as i LOVE how it was designed.
As soon as you walk under the railroad bridge within the queue, one immediately feels like they are right in the middle of all the action even without even being on the ride.
Just fantastic any way you look at it.

Whoever came up with the concept for that queue was definitely aware of how to stage a *show*, even for those in line waiting for there own turn to ride.
From the western town, to the wonderful water features, to the trains racing all around you ( with sounds *traveling along* with them, too! )...it is one of those queues i could spend a couple of hours in and not be bored.
SO much going on.
SO much eye candy.
I SO love this Attraction!

This was one of several things that really stood out for me this visit...how marvelous that queue is staged.
Being so overly familiar with the WDW version of the Attraction, this was a refreshing improvement.

At WDW*s BTMR, the design of the queue somewhat removes you from the action.
You are up above the action, watching from afar at the fun happening in the distance.
At DL*s BTMR, the design of the queue puts you right in the MIDDLE of the action.
The buttes, tracks, town, and trains are close all around you..seemingly within arms reach.
You are taking part in the moment ...right then and there...and not just observing from a distance.

I LOVE that !

A real prominent difference between the two.
DL*s is a total win in this department.
I absolutely love that feeling of already experiencing part of the excitement before even getting to the loading platform.

Which reminds me....
A story to share now about standing on that loading platform, waiting for one of my numerous turns to be placed in the coveted row #15 ( last car, last seat row = best ride experiences ).

A lot of folks were making the request to be seated in the last car, so much so that Cast started to line people up next to the center trash can on the loading platform.
So there i am, enjoying the view, when after about five minutes a CM comes over and expresses delight in spotting my *Fan Club* pin.
He goes on to say he saw it from afar and just had to come over and talk about Tony.
I of course am always delighted to hear CMs talk about him..and tell me their stories about their adventures with Mr. Baxter.
For the next 20 minutes or so, we stood there together right in the center of the loading area of *Tony*s Mountain* while he told a entertaining tale of seeing him one day at a local pet supply center.
It was a fun story...and it was nice of him to share it with me.

The reactions i get from wearing that pin are priceless.
Indeed, i treasure the various interactions that this little button has sparked off over the last two visits.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

While still on the topic of 'Big Thunder Mountain Railroad'...and standing on loading platforms...

In my many rides this visit i discovered a great spot to take some interesting photographs.
One of those unexpected 'happy accidents'.
It is a place not many would probably think of as a 'photography spot', but it is in a Guest area just beyond the unloading area.
If you stood off to the side in one particular corner after passing through the exit gate, there were some visual delights to be enjoyed.
The best part was that in this spot, you are not in anyone's way and could have stood there as long as one liked.
I will admit i did spend some enjoyable time standing in this particular spot 'off the beaten path' taking in the scenery and watching the trains whirl by.

Here are some of the photos taken in said place, ones that are perhaps my favorites from this chapter of the venture.

A scenic view -

My favorite photo from the visit -
Train #4 barreling down around the corner, heading for Dinosaur Gap -

A nice close up of the graphics on one of the trains.
Yes, i adore details like this!

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Before we depart from 'Big Thunder Mountain Railroad' , i have one other topic i thought would be entertaining to mention -
The famous 'BTM' Logo.

Here is a photo of said logo emblazoned proudly on the side of a train at the loading station to refresh memories....

This fabulous logo is actually a very clever 'signature' of it's creator.

While most Guests assume the letters stand for 'Big Thunder Mountain', or 'Big Thunder Mining' for the fictional Big Thunder Mining Company, fans of Mr. Baxter know that it actually stands for 'Tony Baxter Mountain' !
Some have even suggested that it just spells out the initials of his full name, with the 'W' flipped to a 'M'.
However you look at it, it is the perfect combination of letters to see it either way...the Attraction name, or the name of it's principal creator.
I just find that wonderfully ironic.
How many Imagineers back then actually got away with putting their 'signature' on a Attraction...?
Pretty darn clever.

I was reminded of that 'Tony's Mountain' Logo when i saw this signage at the New Orleans Square train station.
Not sure if it was intentional in the design, or just the style of old train service logos of yore...but i see a lot of similarities in the linking letters.

And here are the interlocked 'BTM' letters.

You just never know what you will find when you take a moment to inspect your surroundings a little closer.
This is what makes exploring 'Baxterland' so very enjoyable.

Now, if i could just say that i took THIS photo below while visiting...well...that would just add a entirely new level of sheer epicness to this venture.
Alas no....but i do so love this photo.
One of my favorites of the two together in one frame.
A nice way to close out a visit to that ol' Mountain....

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

As with any memorable experience usually dictates, no visit to 'Baxterland' would be complete without bringing home a few appropriately themed souvenirs....
Behold the 'Big Thunder Mountain' mini ceramic sculpture..!

I am not really into the 'ear hat' thing....but when i saw this little gem it spoke to my inner Baxter Fan self.
On my previous venture in September, i had expressed how wonderful it would be for Disney to market some kind of train set/model set themed to 'Tony's Mountain'. I just wanted to have a cool model of Big Thunder in some form, whether it be in playset plastic form or even a more mature diminutive scale model.
This small ceramic ornament was a affordable alternative.
Still waiting for that fully themed train playset, though....Disney Marketing, are you reading this...?

Here is a view of the back, which i actually prefer to the front.
It's that great 'BTM' Logo and Attraction name that adds to the appeal.

This was apparently a popular choice among buyers as WoD only had five available hanging on the rack and ALL of them were broken ( including the one i purchased which i have now repaired ).
In the above photo, you can see the train is missing it's smoke stack.
There were dozens and dozens of the other 'hat' ornament designs, but it was clear Big Thunder was the 'favorite'.
All of the others on display were also broken in similar ways, which is likely why they were even still there.

So a note to those on the lookout to purchase one - be sure to check BOTH trains to insure they have their smoke stacks.

I easily repaired mine with a bit of rolled, colored paper.
Looks just fine now.

I did see a few others in one of the shops in the Park, but it was still sparse.
I hope this means we will be seeing MORE 'BTMR' merchandise in the future.

A closer view of some of the detailing.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

I guess the best *souvenir* brought home from this particular visit ( besides the memories of great experiences ) was my first ever Annual Passport.
In the 30+ years of visiting WDW, and even living 3 1/2 years in Florida, i never had or even remotely thought about getting a AP.
Well, this visit i decided to upgrade my ticket simply because i already knew i was returning in September.
It made sense price-wise ( before the increases, especially..)and it worked out to over $100+ in savings.
That is not including money saved with the AP discounts, which in my opinion are minimal now.

Never in my wildest fantasies did i ever expect i would ever end up with a AP...and to the Park(s) on the complete opposite coast!
Crazy...crazy thought...!
But i did.

I will admit, it sure was an neat feeling entering the several times i did post-purchase that day and have the Cast Members who scanned my freshly printed Pass at the entrance turnstiles give me a pleasent *Welcome back to Disneyland, ( Figments Friend) !*
That personal touch was nice.
Made me feel like a friend of Walt*s or some type of special VIP.

That Annual Passport to DL had it*s own further adventures once i returned back to the East Coast.
Excited to be able to finally access those *hidden* AP Holder only areas on the DL Website, i set aside some time a few days after returning to check it out.
Anxious to see what insights might be had, i instead discover that the AP i bought on May 4th is being listed as expiring on May 15th.
You read correctly - expires 11 days after purchase.

Uh....huh....
:jawdrop:

So after a couple of phone calls, that was thankfully sorted out.
Apparently there was a typo made when i had purchased it.

Perhaps something new Passholders should check into after a purchase...make SURE your Pass is actually valid for the full year you paid for and correct it immediately if it is not.
The expiration date is NOT printed on the card...so the only way to know for sure is to check it online via the Passholder section of the official Disneyland website.
I am glad i noticed it, as it might have been difficult to sort out after *expiration* or even worse - finding out when arriving back in Anaheim in September!
That would have been.....well....not quite *Magical*.

So a adventure indeed around every corner this chapter...even in getting that little plastic card to come back and visit Disneyland again.

Of course, for entrance into *Baxterland* at any time one only needs to have THIS plastic card....

Ahhh...the benefits of being a Member ...!

...or then again, just read this thread!
Anyone can take a *virtual* Tour here anytime they wish.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

A mystery solved today!

Earlier i was talking about where the location of this shack is on *Big Thunder Mountain Railroad*.
I was looking for it this visit, but did not find it and was curious as to where exactly it is on the track layout.
Dubbed *Tony*s Shack*, namely because of this playful picture shown here previously -

Well today i solved the mystery when i came across this photo.

As you can see, the shack has finally been found.
It is to the left of the tracks just as you reach the top of the second lift hill.
No wonder i kept missing it...as at that point in the ride experience i kept looking to my right at that wily old Goat.

Nice to finally find out where it is !

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom