The expanded hub...a new spot for wedding ceremonies!

hawkfam

Original Poster
If you've got 75 large to spend on your big day...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ide-magic-kingdom-cinderella-castle/83664158/

Florida's Disney World has announced that couples can now plan their wedding ceremonies inside the Magic Kingdom at the park's newEast Plaza Garden.

The East Plaza Garden will be available for 9:30 a.m. ceremonies and can accommodate a good-sized destination-wedding crowd of up to 100 people. The park will also be open to regular customers at that time.

Disney's Fairy Tale Weddings package collections start at $2,500, and custom experiences begin at $12,000. Premiere locations such as the Magic Kingdom, with a completely customized ceremony and reception for 100 guests, start at $75,000. For more pricing and options, visitwww.disneyweddings.com.

COProgressFan

If you've got 75 large to spend on your big day...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ide-magic-kingdom-cinderella-castle/83664158/

Florida's Disney World has announced that couples can now plan their wedding ceremonies inside the Magic Kingdom at the park's newEast Plaza Garden.

The East Plaza Garden will be available for 9:30 a.m. ceremonies and can accommodate a good-sized destination-wedding crowd of up to 100 people. The park will also be open to regular customers at that time.

Disney's Fairy Tale Weddings package collections start at $2,500, and custom experiences begin at $12,000. Premiere locations such as the Magic Kingdom, with a completely customized ceremony and reception for 100 guests, start at $75,000. For more pricing and options, visitwww.disneyweddings.com.

Beautiful view of those light poles in the pics, amiright?!

Anyway, while I'm not at all surprised by the fact they are offering the use of these spaces for weddings, I do find the 9:30am time bizarre. Generally in the past, an in-park wedding ceremony would have to take place prior to opening. I know they do ceremonies at Epcot countries at 9am or 9pm, for instance. And MK weddings have occurred in the past, (they were actually quite rare, and only done on a large scale) but always after hours.

But it sounds like they are going to have ceremonies and receptions right in plain view? Not only is it tacky to have this in right in the open (rules about park hours, requiring plant walls, etc. are apparently out the window) but I really don't see how this is all that appealing. The hub renovation, while nice enough, and certainly better than the old one, is hardly what I would call "magical". There are so many more beautiful, romantic settings in WDW with trees, flowers, gardens, etc. Standing in the hot sun with no shade in the middle of the vast concrete hub with thousands of sweaty gawking guests doesn't sound all that appealing. Yet sadly, there will probably quite a demand for this.

hpyhnt 1000

Anyway, while I'm not at all surprised by the fact they are offering the use of these spaces for weddings, I do find the 9:30am time bizarre. Generally in the past, an in-park wedding ceremony would have to take place prior to opening. I know they do ceremonies at Epcot countries at 9am or 9pm, for instance. And MK weddings have occurred in the past, (they were actually quite rare, and only done on a large scale) but always after hours.

But it sounds like they are going to have ceremonies and receptions right in plain view? Not only is it tacky to have this in right in the open (rules about park hours, requiring plant walls, etc. are apparently out the window) but I really don't see how this is all that appealing. The hub renovation, while nice enough, and certainly better than the old one, is hardly what I would call "magical". There are so many more beautiful, romantic settings in WDW with trees, flowers, gardens, etc. Standing in the hot sun with no shade in the middle of the vast concrete hub with thousands of sweaty gawking guests doesn't sound all that appealing. Yet sadly, there will probably quite a demand for this.

I wonder if the official wedding pics would have them digitally scrubbed (kinda surprised they didn't do that for the publicity shots actually).

To each their own - for some people this would be a dream come true. For the rest of us, it doesn't affect park hours and only involves closing off a small section of the hub during the morning. Plus, anytime I've seen a wedding or reception in the parks, the happy couple always seems thrilled to be "on-stage" as people applaud and congratulate them.

Have no problem with this at all.

Fe Maiden

Kneels down to pray:

"Oh please dear Jesus. I don't ask for much. All I ask is that these weddings in the MK turn into an absolute @#*!-show. I promise to say 10 Hail Mary's if on our next WDW vacation my family has the opportunity to yell Baba-Booey while waving turkey legs at the couple during their ceremony. I'll make it 15 if we get a death stare from the bride. Amen".

DisneyFans4Life

If I'm paying that much money...I would want to be standing on the stage with all my guests front and center. After we say the vows, we get to take pictures wherever we want and them get to go up to the private suite to change and what not, and then get to have a dinner party at Cinderella's Royal Table. Oh and by the way...we get at least two nights in the private suite.

ChrisM

If I'm paying that much money...I would want to be standing on the stage with all my guests front and center. After we say the vows, we get to take pictures wherever we want and them get to go up to the private suite to change and what not, and then get to have a dinner party at Cinderella's Royal Table. Oh and by the way...we get at least two nights in the private suite.

You're missing a zero for the first part. Two zeros for the second.

rael ramone

I think it's TDO who sees this as appealing. They want this IN VIEW of guests, to entice other guests to buy this.

sheriffwoody

Let me guess...somewhere in the fine print when you book the wedding it says, "Theme Park admission not included".

I wondered about this too. But surely for 75K, they could throw that in (I know...I'm naive).

I just can't imagine spending that much money and still having NO control over the where/when of the thing. 9:30 am is a terrible time for a wedding, and having all those people milling around would be such a buzz kill. To each his own, though.

COProgressFan

I think it's TDO who sees this as appealing. They want this IN VIEW of guests, to entice other guests to buy this.

Which says a lot, actually.

Prior to more recent years, it was actually required that private events be at least semi-sheltered from regular guest views. Which meant if you had a dessert party in Italy, for example, you were required to pay for a plant wall to at least partially block the view. I've noticed in the past couple of years, this is no longer the case.

Likewise, actual wedding ceremonies were not permitted to take place in full view of guests during park hours. Events could take place in areas that were closed (the American Adventure rotunda would close early for example) or other non-visible areas. From my understanding, permitting weddings to occur in the open during operating hours is a major change of policy. But as today's WDW operates, having different areas roped off for different types of guests (big spenders, and everyone else) is sadly now the norm.

Rodan75

This isn't all that surprising, the Castaway Cay wedding package on the cruise takes place on the beach with other passengers only about a foot away from the 'venue'. They do it at that location so you can get pics with the ship in the background.

Nothing more magical than haven't someone else's half naked grandpa watching your wedding standing next to your guests.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom