The End Of An Era - Captain Kidd's Buffet Closed Permanently

TP2000

Original Poster
We've all been through a lot over the past 18 months. It's been an emotional roller coaster for everyone, and things still aren't looking too bright right now as we look toward 2022; inflation, gas prices, supply chain woes, Britney's post-conservatorship career, etc.

So it is with a heavy heart I give our community here another emotional setback. Captain Kidd's Buffet has closed permanently. :hungover:

The whimsical cannons on the roof have been removed, the signage is gone, the ship's rigging and sails are gone. The fake barrels and wooden crates that meant "Themeing!" have been removed.

FEF3WDHUYAIrZch

Even it's 1.8 Star rating on Yelp has been removed.

But that 1.8 Star rating will live on in our hearts! Never forget.

Figments Friend

Praise be to the Tiki Gods!

The BEST thing to happen to the DLR in the last two years.

No longer will families be tricked into walking past this place and unknowningly enter only to poison themselves and their children.
No longer will the tacky 'pirate theme buffet' decor offend the visuals directly across the street from Uncle Walt's Park.

This is a day that will live on in infamy.

-

TP2000

Original Poster
Praise be to the Tiki Gods!

The BEST thing to happen to the DLR in the last two years.

No longer will families be tricked into walking past this place and unknowningly enter only to poison themselves and their children.
No longer will the tacky 'pirate theme buffet' decor offend the visuals directly across the street from Uncle Walt's Park.

This is a day that will live on in infamy.

-

It really is such a weird little piece of the Disneyland experience, isn't it?

Right there across the street from Disneyland's main entrance. Probably the most envious piece of property in the entire American hospitality industry. And yet... it was so disgustingly bad and awful.

While the Yelp review page is no longer found on the Yelp search function itself, a Google search will still bring up an active web page. This is one of my favorite 1 Star Yelp reviews they had, from 2019...

ABANDON SHIP! ABANDON SHIP!!!

You do not tread these waters. Getttt out before it's toooo late!! There is a reason you have to pay up front. This place will give you food poisoning and then make you walk the plank with your gold plundered like the pirates that they ARRR.

TP2000

Original Poster
I wonder what takes it's place?

As noted above, it's literally at the end of the crosswalk from Disneyland. This is perhaps the most lucrative piece of real estate in the entire American tourism and hospitality industry.

I just hope it doesn't just become another Starbucks, or some gross fast food chain like a Taco Bell.

SSG

We've all been through a lot over the past 18 months. It's been an emotional roller coaster for everyone, and things still aren't looking too bright right now as we look toward 2022; inflation, gas prices, supply chain woes, Britney's post-conservatorship career, etc.

So it is with a heavy heart I give our community here another emotional setback. Captain Kidd's Buffet has closed permanently. :hungover:

The whimsical cannons on the roof have been removed, the signage is gone, the ship's rigging and sails are gone. The fake barrels and wooden crates that meant "Themeing!" have been removed.

FEF3WDHUYAIrZch

Even it's 1.8 Star rating on Yelp has been removed.

But that 1.8 Star rating will live on in our hearts! Never forget.
Maybe The Real Treasure Was the Food Poisoning We Got Along the Way.

Sailor310

I was at a conference at the Anaheim Convention Center in the 80's. We found a pizza place somewhere around the periphery of Disneyland. Pizza is hard to mess up, but this was probably the worst pizza I've ever had. It was like they took ham, pureed it into tiny chunks, added saltwater and spread it on the pizza. Every time someone talks about Capt Kidd's, I think that they weren't the only really bad place near DL.

TP2000

Original Poster
I was at a conference at the Anaheim Convention Center in the 80's. We found a pizza place somewhere around the periphery of Disneyland. Pizza is hard to mess up, but this was probably the worst pizza I've ever had. It was like they took ham, pureed it into tiny chunks, added saltwater and spread it on the pizza. Every time someone talks about Capt Kidd's, I think that they weren't the only really bad place near DL.

Was it the restaurant brilliantly and whimsically named PIZZA on the corner of Harbor and Katella?

pizza.png

They serve PIZZA for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, according to the sign. It's been there forever, and it's really bad.

How is it even possible in this age of smartphones and Yelp that anyone can still wander in there when the Pizza Press is a block up the street? 🤣

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom