The Enchanted Tiki Room's 40th Anniversary

General Grizz

Original Poster
The Enchanted Tiki Room|June 23, 1963 - June 23, 2003

From JustDisney.com

The Enchanted Tiki Room exhibits Walt Disney's first use of Audio Animatronic figures, a wild, and rousing cast of over 250 talking, singing, and dancing birds, flowers, masks drummers, and tiki-poles.

Through the years, Walt had toyed with the idea of three-dimensional characters at Disneyland. At one time, he hoped to create a Chinese Restaurant featuring a Confucius-Style mechanical man, that would speak out words of Wisdom.

Early concepts of "Audio-Animatronics" were featured in the Jungle Cruise, and Natures Wonderland. In essence, the process of "Audio-Animatronics" electronically synthesizes and combines voices, music, and sound effects, with movement of animated figures.

Originally, Walt thought the Tiki Room would be staged as a Dinner, and show, attraction. Although, WED designers scrapped the idea, because this type of attraction was not practical at Disneyland.

What was left was a 17-minute revue with a full Audio-Animatronics cast. The Enchanted Tiki Room, "overflowing with the color and spirit of the islands," opened in 1963. Four avian emcees -- Jose, Michael, Pierre, and Fritz -- lead a company of animated orchids, bird-of-paradise flowers, parrots, macaws, toucans, cockatoos, carved wooden tiki poles, tiki drummers, and masks.

The show was originally sponsored by United Airlines. A strange sponsor you say? Not at all, if you consider that Hawaii was just recently made a state at the time, and people were flocking to the Islands like crazy. United was doing a special Hawaiian promotion , and partnership was perfect. The show is now sponsored by Dole Pineapple.

The Show starts even before you begin, a wonderful pre-show greets guests waiting. The pre-show sets the stage for what's waiting inside. During the pre-show guests watch the powerful Tiki Gods, Kor, Maui, Pele, Rongo, Tangaroa, and Tangaroa-Ru. Once inside the Tiki Room your greeted by guides, which happen to be talking birds- Fritz, Jose, Michael, and Pierre.

The show itself is full of wonderfully choreographed music, themed to the according topic, Hawaii. The music, songs, and lyrics were created by the famous Sherman Bros, Richard and Robert. Musical acts include: include "The Hawaiian War Chant," "Let's All Sing (Like the Birdies Sing)," "Aloha to You," and, of course, the show's theme song, "In the Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room"

Often Walt Disney would come and enjoy the show for himself. He would talk to guests, by asking "so . . .what did you think of those birds?, that rain scene is something, huh." Many people believe this was one of Walt Disney's favorite Disneyland attraction. This was one of the last projects Walt contributed to in the park.

On October 1, 1971, the same show, but named 'Tropical Serenade,' opened to guests in Walt Disney World's Adventureland.

After nearly 30 years, Walt Disney World's version of the show went under a drastic rehab: Iago and Zazu were added to the show as the Hawaiian flavor was quickly replaced with mock-up songs of the 50s and rap age. Reviews have been mixed for this version.

Disneyland still offers the original Enchanted Tiki Room to guests - barely changed since its original opening. Unfortunately, the 'Offenbach' number has been completely removed, and the original opening song shortened.

Unfortunately, rumor has it that Disneyland's original show, which still brings in the guests, will have major modifications after Disneyland's 50th Anniversary. Rumors include shutting the entire attraction down, adding 'Stitch' to the Tiki Room, and replacing it with Tokyo's "Magic Lamp Theater."

Feel free to discuss the Tiki Room's 40th Anniversary right here!

trendymagic

Seems they want to add Stitch to everything.

The update with Iago and Zazu is not that bad. Keeps more kids entertained.

Happy 40th Tiki!

MFLetou

My mother literally cried when I told her they changed the Tiki room. She went to the new one once and walked out in horror and complained bitterly to the CM.

Frankly, I agreed with her. The new one stinks. Lets face it, its not going to draw people because its 'cool' or because its technology is super special for this day and age, so why not keep the old one as a way to look back and the way things were and celebrate what a marvel it was at the time.

SirNim

What a pioneering attraction... The use of Audio-Animatronics® in Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room ushered in a whole new era in Disneyland, and in theme park design in general. Now, themed attractions could grow and become so elaborate as to engulf the guest inside. Animation was literally taken off the drawing boards and reproduced in three dimensions, on a grand scale. Jose, Pierre, Michael, and Fritz, I bow to and salute you!

*salutes*

FigmentJedi

I say preserve the Tiki Room. The 3D magic show can be put in aladdin's oasis. As for the stitch update, I say they could put a new lilo and stitch attraction elsewhere. My society for preserving epcot will reach out to other classic attractions in danger. The Tikiteers, Figketeers, Mouseketeers, and members of my society(only me for now) will try to save it!

leeocean

Let's put it this way...
If it weren't for the show starting right away, I'd be in the audience too.

LONG LIVE THE TIKI ROOM!

BigNorm

Here's to another 40 for Jose and the boys.

May you live as long as you want but never want as long as you live! Cheers!

prberk

Originally posted by leeocean
Let's put it this way...
If it weren't for the show starting right away, I'd be in the audience too.

LONG LIVE THE TIKI ROOM!

I agree!!!

Come on and join us for another chorus!

(What a fun rhyme, and what a fun song.. Great times for childhood.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom